Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits

Banned by Administrators

Thanks everyone for the bump. Never played this game. Heard about it and forgot about it years ago. Now I'll pick up a copy.

arcade robotron is in my top 10 favorite video games of all time, love it on the xbox "midway arcade treasures", plays great with the x box controller, but this port is terrible.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    arcade robotron is in my top 10 favorite video games of all time, love it on the xbox "midway arcade treasures", plays great with the x box controller, but this port is terrible.
    Would you mind giving specifics on why you feel the ports are terrible? I'm not sure if you overlooked this since this post calls the Robotron port terrible without responding to the previous post, but I mentioned that the Robotron has an alternative control method (which felt similar to playing Smash TV with a SNES pad. No problems with diagonal shots, despite the look of the 6 button pad. It plays very nice this way, IMO) by pressing the mode button during gameplay in a previous post. I posted a reply to the Arcade's Greatest Hits Review that mentions the controls, as well.

Defender 2's six button support moves some functions to the extra face buttons (it sets one of the extra buttons to thrust, another to reverse, and one to bomb).

I did notice some slowdown in Robotron that I didn't notice with other versions (and I heard a couple others had slowdown), but it seemed minor (and from what I remember, mostly during the start up animations rather than during the main gameplay). Odd for Genesis ports of older games to have slowdown, though.
    Last edited by BrianC; 08-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.

I've been playing this cart for many years and love Defender, Stargate, and Sinistar on the Genesis, especially with the Genesis controller. Joust and Robotron I reserve for the Atari 7800. The cart seems to me to be underrated by the Genesis community but we all have our own unique preferences, which is cool. But being a big Defender and Stargate arcade fan this format is my favorite.

Good review though!

This SINISTAR port is MUCH BETTER than the PSP version!!!

7/10
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    This SINISTAR port is MUCH BETTER than the PSP version!!!
    Interesting, in what?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Interesting, in what?
    On the Playability, Sound and Graphics (PSP looks streched)
    MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES have bad emulation on some games (MK, MK2 and MK3 are perfect)
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

OK, nice.

About this, some time ago i've started to check how the Genesis version compare to the SNES one & most games run in higher-res on the Genesis compilation making the gameplay of some games, like Sinistar, better on Genesis.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I vehemently disagree with most of this review. Robotron works very well with 2 Genesis arcade sticks hooked up, and it's become my go-to version of the game due to playability. It's a serious time sucker. This Genesis port is good, but I believe the 7800 version is superior. It's definitely better than the Midway compilation version on PS2 and Xbox though.

This was brought up in a conversation with a friend so I'm posting :v And the accuracy of the ports is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I did notice some slowdown in Robotron that I didn't notice with other versions (and I heard a couple others had slowdown), but it seemed minor (and from what I remember, mostly during the start up animations rather than during the main gameplay). Odd for Genesis ports of older games to have slowdown, though.
    Thought I may point out that those animations are software rendered (red = plane A, purple = sprite):

Still not as ridiculous as Defender I and II doing practically all sprites in software (green = plane B :​P)

Pretty much the only thing that's an actual sprite in those two:

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I vehemently disagree with most of this review. Robotron works very well with 2 Genesis arcade sticks hooked up, and it's become my go-to version of the game due to playability. It's a serious time sucker. This Genesis port is good, but I believe the 7800 version is superior. It's definitely better than the Midway compilation version on PS2 and Xbox though.
    No!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

The PS2 compilation does have some issues with Smash TV, but Robotron is fine I thought. I have the Gamecube version though, because of the controller having 8-way points on the analog sticks.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I have the Xbox version and the original compilation on the PlayStation. I always thought that the original PS version was fine, but it's been awhile since I've dusted it off. The Xbox version is just like the arcade game, with no slowdown what so ever.

I dropped in the Xbox version yesterday and played 3 or 4 rounds. I lasted up to around 80,000 points and that's around when the large brain dudes kicked my arse.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I have the Xbox version and the original compilation on the PlayStation. I always thought that the original PS version was fine, but it's been awhile since I've dusted it off.
    I used to have the Saturn version. The emulation seemed perfectly fine, but it had no options whatsoever for alternate controllers, remapping the face buttons, or using two controllers. And no analog support, not even for Sinistar. Pretty disappointing. With the right options it could have been worth playing, even over the later compilations.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information