Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guide: How to overclock your SNES, Super FX games

Sweat

thanks for all these tutorials, but i'm stuck.

i always use 4 pin quartz (25, 26 or 27 mhz, depending the game. if crash i downstep from 27 to 26 mHz, and if it crash again i downgrade to 25 mHz)

i overclocked my jpn starfox (blob). works
    i overclocked my jpn vortex . works
    i overclocked my us starfox 2 (made with a Doom cart) . works
    i overclocked my japan wild trax (with a 25 mhz quartz, tried 27 and 26 mhz, crashed the game) . works

and now i'd like to overclock my US dirt trax FX

but i cant't find the way. [B]someone did it[/B] ? i got 4 pins oscillators.

the pcb of this game is unique, and doesn't match the other super fx games. so i cant' use the other tutorials.
    HELP !

i found the ground pin and the power (5V) pin in the egdges of the HCU04

but next step...????

where to cut ?

which capacitor or resistance remove ?

thanks ! (and sorry for my bad english)

SNS-AF9E-0-pcb-front.jpg

-------

Bonus :

the "vortex tutorial" picture seems gone in the first page, i reuplaod it there:

Last edited by maldoror68; 03-18-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Dam, I've forgotten I use to overclock fx games. Congrats on your 3rd post since too! :P

This board doesn't look that different from Vortex, both have the trace coming from pin 70 of the main chip. I see it has 2 traces leading to the HCUO4 chip this time though.

I would say this may work...

Can't guarantee this is going to work. You may have to both traces leading to the chip. So consider your cart being the guinea pig for this :P
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 03-18-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Following your instructions, I could never get Stunt Race FX to overclock. It would always boot up but then freeze with glitched graphics. I must've tried 3-4 copies, all the same result. I tried it with the 4 pin 27mhz square oscillator, and even with a 26mhz 2 pin oscillator.

I successfully overclocked Doom and Vortex with the same 4 pin 27mhz square oscillator though, it really makes Doom so much more playable because of the reduced input lag

Yea Stunt Race FX was always unstable.

However the 2-PIN CRYSTAL OSCILLATOR method does help provide a bit of a speed to the game and I never had issues with this method.

Remember, 24mhz crystals well boost the games speed.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Yea Stunt Race FX was always unstable.

However the 2-PIN CRYSTAL OSCILLATOR method does help provide a bit of a speed to the game and I never had issues with this method.

Remember, 24mhz crystals well boost the games speed.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try with a 2 pin 24mhz crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    I see it has 2 traces leading to the HCUO4 chip this time though.
    that's exactly what is making me hesitate. all the other fx pcb's had only one trace leading to the hcu04.

i'll try your proposal, i'll let you know. i think i need to cut the 2 traces....

thanks !

NOTE : the gnd and 5v pin on the HCU04 are reversed/inverted on the dirt trax fx (regarding the other super fx games). look at the key on the HCU04

(click to zoom)
    SNS-AF9E-0-pcb-front.jpg

TOBr72C.png
    Last edited by maldoror68; 03-18-2018 at 07:38 AM.

^Ahh yes, fixed previous photo and if that didn't work. The next bid is cutting both traces and soldering the MHz wire to both spots.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 03-18-2018 at 02:38 PM.

ok , tried different solutions, (removing r4, removing FB9, removing R1, desoldering stock crystal... soldering new crystal signla to fx and to fb9, soldering new crystal to fx and R1 left pin)

always a black screen.

and finalyl , because the cart was a junk, i desoldered the HCU04... to see where the cuted traces were going...

and tada!!!! the traces we were cutting were leading absolutly nowhere ! (see the thin yellow )

here is the result of the "sacrificed dirt trax FX":

maybe this will help future "overclockers"

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Last edited by Cargo; 09-06-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Thread Information