Quantcast

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: would streetfighter alpha be possible on the megadrive ?

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The hardware really isn't that different. The CPS1 has a YM2151 which as 8 4-OP FM channels + 1 Dedicated PCM Chip. The Genesis has a YM2612 which has 5/6 4-OP FM Channels and 1 DAC channel + 3 Square Waves and 1 White Noise generator. Worst case scenario is you lose 2-3 FM channels and take a hit in Percussion.
    For sampled percussion, it would really depend on the sound driver used (ie programming) and ROM space allotted to samples. (and preprocessing/encoding/conversion optimization)

I'm pretty sure the CPS-1 is limited to ~7.57 kHz for its ADPCM channels, so not particularly tough to beat on the MD in terms of quality.

The resolution wouldn't really need to be affected that much. If you have the ROM space you could get by with just having the sides cut off a bit similar to the Saturn CPS2 ports. Though you would need to scale down the Health Bars and Super Bars to make them fit.
    It wouldn't be that bad really. You'd just be going from this:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps969741ae.png

To this:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...psa864c730.png

While a lot of the HUD is gone, that can be fixed and resized. The rest isn't too bad.
    You'd really want to re-draw the sprites (and BG) to compensate for the different aspect ratio . . . especially if you take PAL into account (which would look REALLY stretched if using arcade aspect ratio graphics on MD at H40 -NTSC optimized graphics would look only modestly stretched in comparison).

Plus it saves on memory (ROM space and VRAM space) along with VRAM update bandwidth and sprite rendering bandwidth. (and CPU overhead for decompression)

In terms of actual graphical quality, I'd imagine it would be more in the range of what the SNES managed . . . and comparing that with what Capcom already did with SSFII on both platforms. (not to mention the potential for a conversion handled by developers more skilled on the MD than Capcom . . . both in terms of graphics and sound)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64 View Post
    The graphics would need to be squashed horizontally though. The arcade game is widescreen made to be squashed to 4x3, so the sprites would look too wide if left as is. The SNES sprites would be usable if one didn't want to manually edit each frame to look good in the thinner ratio. Maybe the SNES sprites could be a base, and if one wanted to have more animation frames, just those could be converted.
    ....cps1/2 outputs 4x3, it just maybe uses a different resolution and tilesize, dimensions should still be the same.

I'm sure with an oversized flash chip you could make one rockin' version of sf alpha for the genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    ....cps1/2 outputs 4x3, it just maybe uses a different resolution and tilesize, dimensions should still be the same.

I'm sure with an oversized flash chip you could make one rockin' version of sf alpha for the genesis.
    I'm not saying it doesn't ultimately display the graphics as 4x3.

But as posted earlier, the internal aspect ratio is close to 16x9:

So just using the raw sprites in a Genesis game would result in the sprites and graphics looking too wide. To keep the intended aspect ratio, the graphics would need to be compressed horizontally to something like this:

Last edited by Metalwario64; 05-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.

The CPS1 uses a 4:3 display at a resolution of 384x224, while the Genesis is 4:3 at a resolution of 320x224. Notice how the CPS1 has more pixels in a line - the pixels are not as wide as the pixels on the Genesis, and that is what he meant by needing to redo the graphics or you will have the wrong aspect ratio.

Banned by Administrators

If anybody could get a capcom or snk fighting engine it would be the homebrew holy grail, the 16 bit machine mugen fuel. So whoever de scrambles the code or reverses it or whatever to find the fight engine or make a md "port"/snes mirror of this game like OP is asking can be done, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    If anybody could get a capcom or snk fighting engine it would be the homebrew holy grail, the 16 bit machine mugen fuel. So whoever de scrambles the code or reverses it or whatever to find the fight engine or make a md "port"/snes mirror of this game like OP is asking can be done, cool.
    I reworked some of the physics in the arcade version of street fighter 2 champion edition. My friend who does mugen stuff said the mugen engine runs in very similar ways.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I reworked some of the physics in the arcade version of street fighter 2 champion edition. My friend who does mugen stuff said the mugen engine runs in very similar ways.
    Awesome news Drakon. How long before BOR goes to Sega CD ha

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

i was not asking for anything

i was asking if it would have been technically possible to get street fighter alpha 1 or 2 on the megadrive

and apparantly it would have been possible and thats all i wanted to know

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    2D is 2D, all 2D fighters could be possible on the MD, but if they end up looking nice.. that's a whole other story.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

well if the game would end up looking and playing like sf alpha 1 at least was my question i suppose

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

well if the game would end up looking and playing like sf alpha 1 at least was my question i suppose
    That is easily answered, play Super Street Fighter II on arcade (mame or something) and then play the MD version of SSF2.

Notice how porting it to an inferior platform changed it? now apply those changes to the arcade version of SFA and that's what an MD version of SFA would be like.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

It's not that simple. Super Street Fighter 2 on Genesis is using it's 256 wide mode, it isn't even close to the maximum quality conversion it could have been. The colors aren't properly optimized, most look like they were downscaled to 4x16 by a computer program. Super Street Fighter 2 is a good example of what a sloppy SNES port looks like on the Genesis' lowest resolution. I'd say look at Arcade Samurai Shodown an then Samurai Shodown on Sega CD to see what a closer approximation of the Arcade game might have been.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    It's not that simple. Super Street Fighter 2 on Genesis is using it's 256 wide mode, it isn't even close to the maximum quality conversion it could have been. The colors aren't properly optimized, most look like they were downscaled to 4x16 by a computer program. Super Street Fighter 2 is a good example of what a sloppy SNES port looks like on the Genesis' lowest resolution. I'd say look at Arcade Samurai Shodown an then Samurai Shodown on Sega CD to see what a closer approximation of the Arcade game might have been.
    I think that SSFII has the best optimized color of any Genesis game considering what it is trying to pull off. What Capcom managed was a miracle and the game would be used as a measure of the potential of the Genesis if there didn't happen to be a superior SNES version. That exact game is the most taxing type of visuals for the Genesis' color abilities. The players max out the color limit for the sprites and the backgrounds are extremely detailed and packed with variety. Even while handicapped by trying to look like the source material for general coloring, what other Genesis/Sega-CD game even comes close to SSFII for best use of color?

Alpha ports to Genesis have come up many times in various forums, including this one. I put together a mockup or two within the Genesis' color specs for a thread on digitpress thag I reposted here the last time this came up. I cant find them now, but what I say each time is that the Genesis can handle any regular 2 on 2 2D street fighting game. The ones that exist prove this. The Alpha visual style actually suites the Genesis' color limits better than most street fighting games, so a port of the original SFA could look and sound and play great.

Road Rasher

Though without the source code this is all just what if talk. Unless of course you want to make your own fighting engine and study the game for years to learn how it works.
    Not true at all just use a dissembler it is much easier that is if you know assembly.

Banned by Administrators

i was not asking for anything

i was asking if it would have been technically possible to get street fighter alpha 1 or 2 on the megadrive

I know what you asked, I read the OP. Of course SFA or SFA2 could be possible on MD, maybe mirrored or a little worse than SFA2 on SNES.

or make a md "port"/snes mirror of this game like OP is asking can (could/possible) be done, cool.
    But the topic came up of fighting engines, and it's great the sf2 engine is being worked on at least. So maybe not only could SFA2 be possible, it might appear one day in some form. Maybe nowhere as good as SNES version but.

Neo how did you get that Gens SFA screenshot, like you just made a test bin and it de colorized it to see what it could look like on Genesis or ?

Thread Information