Quantcast

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: would streetfighter alpha be possible on the megadrive ?

Road Rasher

Its a shame you cant find those mock ups Black Tiger. Did you ever do any SSF2 PCE mockups Black Tiger?, its such a shame that it wasnt ported to PCE, specially with the Arcade Card!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Neo how did you get that Gens SFA screenshot, like you just made a test bin and it de colorized it to see what it could look like on Genesis or ?
    Yeah I just took a background and 2 sprites, changed to the allowed amount of colors, edited the palette to be that of the MD
    and then compiled it into a rom with BasiEgaXorz. Not sure where the images came from, probably the Snes rom.

Only problem is that I'm very bad at coding, I managed to figure out how to compile it into a rom but its still technically 1 image,
    there's no sprites or anything, its all just one 31 color image.

Would have been cooler if it had been 2 layers and 2 sprites, I could have had the sprites be animated.

still, its cool to see it on my Mega Everdrive.

Awesome news Drakon. How long before BOR goes to Sega CD ha
    How long will it take you? The point is, mugen already works a lot like the real engine.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I think that SSFII has the best optimized color of any Genesis game considering what it is trying to pull off. What Capcom managed was a miracle and the game would be used as a measure of the potential of the Genesis if there didn't happen to be a superior SNES version. That exact game is the most taxing type of visuals for the Genesis' color abilities. The players max out the color limit for the sprites and the backgrounds are extremely detailed and packed with variety. Even while handicapped by trying to look like the source material for general coloring, what other Genesis/Sega-CD game even comes close to SSFII for best use of color?
    Well, to me SSFII on the Genesis looks like crap. I really prefer the look of SFIICE Plus despite all its shortcomings when compared to the arcade game.
    Colors are really bad in SSFII IMO, I can't stand the bloody awful color choices for more than 5 minutes... To not talk about the atrocious sfx and music.
    Last edited by Barone; 05-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    It's not that simple. Super Street Fighter 2 on Genesis is using it's 256 wide mode, it isn't even close to the maximum quality conversion it could have been. The colors aren't properly optimized, most look like they were downscaled to 4x16 by a computer program. Super Street Fighter 2 is a good example of what a sloppy SNES port looks like on the Genesis' lowest resolution. I'd say look at Arcade Samurai Shodown an then Samurai Shodown on Sega CD to see what a closer approximation of the Arcade game might have been.
    I don't mind the use of dithering so much, but I'd agree that the color/art conversion could have been done better in general . . . let alone in H40. With the extra 1 MB over the SNES counterpart, and the software compression possibilities the MD offers, there definitely could have been improvements over the existing MD conversion of SSFII. (including sound quality too -both music conversion and sfx/speech)

It's kind of a repeat of SFII SCE: apparent willingness to invest in more expensive manufacturing (larger ROM size) for the time, yet relatively weak optimization on the game itself.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

I saw this thread and decided to cover Adon's Stage as a demonstration of what the game could sound like on the Genesis.

Road Rasher

Sounds great, good work Raijin!

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    I don't mind the use of dithering so much, but I'd agree that the color/art conversion could have been done better in general . . . let alone in H40. With the extra 1 MB over the SNES counterpart, and the software compression possibilities the MD offers, there definitely could have been improvements over the existing MD conversion of SSFII. (including sound quality too -both music conversion and sfx/speech)

It's kind of a repeat of SFII SCE: apparent willingness to invest in more expensive manufacturing (larger ROM size) for the time, yet relatively weak optimization on the game itself.
    I wonder if all of the animation requires too much DMA from cart for compressed audio samples to be realistic. I'm not against dithering either, but for the Genesis it seems like only vertical dithering works well, spherical or horizontal dithering produces rather nasty dots on screen that take away from any art design that might have been intended. Either way, I'd put the MK games, Eternal Champions and WeaponLord well above the two Street Fighters on Genesis in every category save gameplay.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    How long will it take you? The point is, mugen already works a lot like the real engine.
    I never said I will do it. How long will it take me then, forever. Everytime someone asks about something (even though I was joking but who cares) you bob in the thread and say "well when will you do it ?". Shut the fuck up with that annoying troll shit already it's getting old. Now go ahead and tell me and others not to ask these type of questions here, you'll have a lot of typing to do.

I have no plans to do it, but maybe since there are other people in the world with more knowledge who can maybe they will. I am not the only person on Earth and have NO knowledge to make a game. How about you, when will you get it done huh ? Yeah I asked if mugen/bor could be done on sega cd for a final fight + sor megamix in other section days ago. Go look if you want.

You made a Sonic game. So everyone must now make everything and not ask shit without hearing an annoying "well when will you do it?". That is your logic. Have fun with that. If you respond to this you will see how much I give a fuck about your response.

Banned by Administrators

I need a Sega CD model 1, ppff "I better start making my own" then and not asking who will sell theirs or go on ebay. I better program all my computers programs too and not d/l setup files for others. Yeah. I'm not interested in creating/programming or working on games, adding onto the library of hacked Sonic games or building rovers for NASA or whatever shit example you could put a tired corny "when will you do it" comment for. Why is your friend helping you in any way with sf2 engine or anything related to it, "do it yourself" programmer. Not everyone programs, that might be hard to believe for you but it's true. It's not to being lazy, some things don't interest everybody. Are you going to tell Mark on classic game room to start programming games by saying "when you will do it" because he thought this or that would be a good game ? Wouldn't surprise me. I'm building a Neptune + so I do actually do shit myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Yeah I just took a background and 2 sprites, changed to the allowed amount of colors, edited the palette to be that of the MD
    and then compiled it into a rom with BasiEgaXorz. Not sure where the images came from, probably the Snes rom.

Only problem is that I'm very bad at coding, I managed to figure out how to compile it into a rom but its still technically 1 image,
    there's no sprites or anything, its all just one 31 color image.

Would have been cooler if it had been 2 layers and 2 sprites, I could have had the sprites be animated.

still, its cool to see it on my Mega Everdrive.
    Awesome Neo. The example you did Gens looked great for MD imo.
    Last edited by Vector2013; 05-07-2013 at 07:41 PM.

I never said I will do it. How long will it take me then, forever. Everytime someone asks about something (even though I was joking but who cares) you bob in the thread and say "well when will you do it ?". Shut the fuck up with that annoying troll shit already it's getting old. Now go ahead and tell me and others not to ask these type of questions here, you'll have a lot of typing to do.

I have no plans to do it, but maybe since there are other people in the world with more knowledge who can maybe they will. I am not the only person on Earth and have NO knowledge to make a game. How about you, when will you get it done huh ? Yeah I asked if mugen/bor could be done on sega cd for a final fight + sor megamix in other section days ago. Go look if you want.

You made a Sonic game. So everyone must now make everything and not ask shit without hearing an annoying "well when will you do it?". That is your logic. Have fun with that. If you respond to this you will see how much I give a fuck about your response.
    If you want something done do it yourself, suggesting it on a forum never will make it happen. I didn't make a sonic game, apparently you can't read well. If you truly don't "give a f#ck" then stop whining like a little baby. I was making a point that mugen already runs very much like the real engine so there's no point in reverse engineering the original game engine. Your suggestion is a waste of time and you completely missed the point. Logically, it's much easier to come up with a recreated engine instead of reverse engineering the original engine. There's a reason why mugen was made the way it was, it does the job just fine. You don't need to be a programmer to figure this stuff out.
    Last edited by Drakon; 05-07-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    If you want something done do it yourself, suggesting it on a forum never will make it happen. I didn't make a sonic game, apparently you can't read well.
    I can read fine, I just thought you made that Metal Sonic hack but I must be confusing you with somebody else with almost the same spelling name ah yes http://www.sega-16.com/forum/archive...p/t-21142.html

"Drakon

You stole my username!!! Looks like an awesome hack though, I've always wanted to play as robo sonic.

*edit* wow it's like a total conversion in all the best ways."

Very similar but my apologies then. Speaking of reading, you did see I typed that bor in a joking manner yes ?

If you truly don't "give a f#ck" then stop whining like a little baby.
    I'm just explaining the situation, it seems like I have this conversation with members in pm and posts, that everyone here won't program nor should they if they don't want to. I do agree with you if your into stuff you should do it yourself if it's reasonable like how I'm building a Neptune + but I also understand everyone here isn't hands on either, you know. I guess I could have been less of a prick about it but I see comments like that too much just from people asking questions (again I was joking). There is shit I do myself, but right now programming isn't one of them. I found it cool you are working on a sf2 engine (code/reversing/etc) and let you know that but I got a comment I saw too many times as a response.

I was making a point that mugen already runs very much like the real engine so there's no point in reverse engineering the original game engine.
    I'm not sure why your even saying this. Mugen on pc was altered slightly to run on dc so I thought (if you look in sega cd thread) perhaps only a slight code change could run a bor sor/ff type megamix game on sega cd. Again it was a joke. But honestly it would be cool to see a game like Kill Bill on dc run on sega cd, it's 16 bit anyway.

Your suggestion is a waste of time and you completely missed the point. Logically, it's much easier to come up with a recreated engine instead of reverse engineering the original engine. There's a reason why mugen was made the way it was, it does the job just fine. You don't need to be a programmer to figure this stuff out.
    Again, not sure why your writing this. I made a comment that it's cool you are working on a sf2 engine and joked about a bor engine game running on sega cd, so.

Fair enough, hopefully we can stop the light name calling now.

perhaps only a slight code change could run a bor sor/ff type megamix game on sega cd.
    I doubt it would be that simple, the reason the DC had so much homebrew was because it ran Windows CE or something.
    also it had quite a bit of horsepower compared to the Sega CD.

it's 16 bit anyway.
    I'm not familiar with Kill Bill BOR mod thingy, what makes it 16 bit?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I doubt it would be that simple, the reason the DC had so much homebrew was because it ran Windows CE or something.
    also it had quite a bit of horsepower compared to the Sega CD.
    I'm not aware of any DC homebrew that uses Windows CE (there's probably some, but it's not common). The Dreamcast didn't ship with Windows CE onboard. It was just available to developers and used in some commercial games though.

DC homebrew got popular for a number of reasons. Programming the Dreamcast is relatively straightforward. You can burn discs that will run on the hardware without modding. Compared to the Sega CD it was actually quite popular. CD burners were readily available during its height. These initial factors led people to create good tools for doing homebrew development on the platform which made things even easier.

Well there you go then, not WinCE just a very open platform. that also packed some horsepower.

Thread Information