Quantcast

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 876

Thread: One and only Xbox One Thread

  1. #31
    Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,384
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    I agree with that 100%. An optional VR headset that is sold for a reasonable price la Oculus Rift. I imagine 30fps stereoscopy is doable with such hardware.

  2. #32
    wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    @nemesis enforcer - I totally agree, but you didn't mention Nintendo's new Wii U in that statement. Not everyone is keen on the Wii U, but you have to admit, Nintendo is at least constantly trying new things to make games better, more fun, and different than before. As where Sony & M$ keep with the same format that has worked in the past. And we have a few here that seem like they are gonna get a Wii U based on this information.
    I didn't want to bring the Wii U into the debate because I know nothing about it. However I will say one thing, at least Nintendo are keeping it real with their hand held systems. There I said it, and may I be flamed for all eternity by Sega fan boys :-)
    Last edited by nemesis enforcer; 06-11-2013 at 09:56 AM.

  3. #33
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,250
    Rep Power
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    This is huge. The rumors are actually fact now. The Xbox One needs to be connected to the internet every 24hrs. If the PS4 does not require a daily internet connection (we should all know for sure by e3 next week), then Sony and Nintendo have already won. This is absolutely insane.


    Link--->http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

    Fact #1
    Many members of the military are gamers and they cannot possibly connect every 24hrs when out in the field.

    Fact #2
    The poor and disadvantaged may not have an internet connection.

    Fact #3
    Nintendo and possibly Sony (fingers crossed) wont be doing this.

    Fact #4
    You cannot compare a smart phone (personal usage device) with a living room device that the WHOLE FAMILY is subjected to being recorded, studied, and exploited for monetary greed. What you say, do and act our will no longer be a private family affair.

    Fact #5
    Gamers wont be able to take their Xbox One systems on trips or vacations without possibly paying for wifi fees at a hotel or other accommodation.

    Fact #6
    No more taking your Xbox one to a friend or relative's house for more that a day. Imagine having to use SOMEONE ELSE'S INTERNET SECURITY INFO to log on.

    This is huge for the gaming community. I'm sure hackers will get around this someday.

    The only way M$ will win this generation is if gamers and the mainstream have become so naive and foolish that they simply wont care. Please Sony, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS INSANITY.
    Haha they can fuck right off with that shit.

    Click image above for my Youtube channel.


  4. #34
    Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,582
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    [QUOTE=nemesis enforcer;585830]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    I didn't want to bring the Wii U into the debate because I know nothing about it. However I will say one thing, at least Nintendo are keeping it real with their hand held systems. There I said it, and may I be flamed for all eternity by Sega fan boys :-)
    They're aren't many Sega "Fanboys" here that would have any problem with you liking current Nintendo hardware. We're not like that here. A good game is a good game and a good console is a good console. If Sega still made consoles, then it might be a different story around here.

  5. #35
    Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    What are the odds that this is MS first and only success story, not including Windows of course, and they are grossly overestimating their position? Look at the failures like Zune, Windows phone, their new tablets....They've been trying and trying to have a huge success outside Windows like the Xbox has become. Now they finally have it and think they can do all this ridiculous stuff and people will buy it because its an Xbox.

    I'm hoping this is the case. I hope this Xbox crashes and burns. The thought of this new xbox succeeding is scary.

    This just makes me all the more glad that my teenage years occurred during the golden age of gaming when Sega and Nintendo battled it out for gaming supremacy. When gaming machines just played glorious games.


    [/url]

  6. #36
    Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
    What are the odds that this is MS first and only success story, not including Windows of course, and they are grossly overestimating their position? Look at the failures like Zune, Windows phone, their new tablets....They've been trying and trying to have a huge success outside Windows like the Xbox has become. Now they finally have it and think they can do all this ridiculous stuff and people will buy it because its an Xbox.

    I'm hoping this is the case. I hope this Xbox crashes and burns. The thought of this new xbox succeeding is scary.

    This just makes me all the more glad that my teenage years occurred during the golden age of gaming when Sega and Nintendo battled it out for gaming supremacy. When gaming machines just played glorious games.
    Even excluding Windows, microsoft has a number of successes under their belts. Direct X has been an unmitigated success, for example.

    Anywho, never before has this been more appropriate:



    Save us, Steam-bringer!
    A retarded Sonic.

  7. #37
    Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pulstar View Post
    I imagine 30fps stereoscopy is doable with such hardware.
    30 FPS isn't very viable for virtual reality. It might not matter very much on a screen in front of you, but VR demands 60 FPS without stutter. Dropping framerate in VR destroys the effect. The commonly accepted threashhold for believable VR is 60 FPS with a maximum of 20 ms latency. go with a lower FPS or higher latency and the effect gets ruined.
    A retarded Sonic.

  8. #38
    Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    I honestly don't see much in this that will make the "average" consumer care.

    The biggest issue for me, by far, is simply the always on policy... which will absolutely make it unworkable for some people, and all but impossible for gamers in some parts of the world.

    The "cloud access" games is not shocking... and don't know why anyone is surprised. Of course something like an MMO will need an always on connection... I mean DUH.

    The rental/return/trade issue is one I want to see how publishers handle. Microsoft has little to gain as they are not taking a cut or charging a fee (as was initially speculated).

    So I see this as something game makers wanted... and that some stores (walmart, gamestop, etc) argued to get included in.
    If that is the case... one of 2 things will happen.
    1) Sony will need to follow suit or else get little to no content/exclusives.
    2) Sony has a wait and see approach, not saying no, but not implementing it until they see how the Xbox is faring, they take a hit on certain games/publishers until it's found out.

    If the second is the case and there is a HUGE backlash on it, then I expect Sony to not implement and for MS to simply disable the restriction or at least make it lenient enough to effectively be not there.

  9. #39
    So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3,712
    Rep Power
    87

    Default

    Xbox One is watching you....

    I hope this thing goes away quickly. If Sony follows suit gaming is pretty much fucked. The Wii U will actually become an attractive proposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

    No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

  10. #40
    Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Xbox One is watching you....

    I hope this thing goes away quickly. If Sony follows suit gaming is pretty much fucked. The Wii U will actually become an attractive proposition.
    They already specified you can turn down the kinect sensor to only listen for the on command, or even disable that entirely if you want.

    So it's only watching you if you want it to be, or if you go through and inadvertently mess all the settings up to do so.

  11. #41
    Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    They already specified you can turn down the kinect sensor to only listen for the on command, or even disable that entirely if you want.

    So it's only watching you if you want it to be, or if you go through and inadvertently mess all the settings up to do so.

    "it's only listening for a single voice command" is inherently bullshit, dude. They're feeding you a crock of shit and playing off of you not knowing how it works to buy it. It's like their "infinite power of the cloud makes the xbox 40 times more powerful" crap. That's not how technology works, it's not magic dude. If it's listening for one word, it still has to parse every word said to figure out if that word was said or not.But, again, even if they allow you to disable that, by nature of the lock being software only, it can be remotely disabled. Just like how you can disable cameras on your laptop and they still be remotely activated.*

    You've also chosen an awful time to advocate the safety of this stuff considering the nsa spying scandal it's hours old at the moment.

    You are asking us to take take on good faith the word that this company won't abuse this very valuable, very important data they can mine from us, for what benefit?I don't like needlessly relinquishing control to external agencies. Perhaps it's my upbringing, perhaps it's my cynicism at big business, perhaps it's the culmination of a lifetime of experiences where-in large institutions have leveraged such control in unflattering ways, but I flat out don't trust anybody but myself. The more a company asks me to trust that they'll do the right thing in exchange for personal liberties, the less I'm likely to want to trust them. Especially the companies we are discussing in particular, as they have already demonstrated to me in several ways that they aren't worthy of such trust. This is the company that is selling its console with claims that being connected to the internet makes it "40 times more powerful." This is the company that claims the xbox doesn't require an internet connection because their internet connection check isn't literally continuous to the millisecond. This is the company that admits to already turning mined data over to various agencies, which has patented methods to enforce viewer limits on movies, that has introduced this whole DRM business wide-scale into the mass market to begin with. Why do they deserve trust that they'll be responsible? This goes as both a consumer and a developer. I wouldn't want to be beholden to microsoft for people to enjoy my product.
    A retarded Sonic.

  12. #42
    The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,131
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    So it's only watching you if you want it to be

    Or until big brother decides to take a peak at you.

    Mind you, only to prevent moar terrorisms frum happenings!

  13. #43
    Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    I never said it's not on, I said it's only listening for one phrase to react to, as opposed to being always on and set to fully react to any potential command it might happen to hear.
    And that they have specified this can even be turned off, rendering the kinect completely off.

    I make no argument for/agasint that being true or not, only what MS has specifically stated as being the case.

    Sure, they could be twirling their mustaches and laughing like snidely whiplash while rubbing their hands together in anticipation.

    This also isn't the NSA scandal, which was a court order to collect basic information (source/destination phone numbers) and keep it secret. This was a public announcement from MS.

    This also isn't like the web cam scandals where someone explicitly installed software to remotely activate web cams on people systems without their knowledge.
    You want to be paranoid about the kinect? Cover it with a towel, or tinfoil or something... not good enough? Remove the internet connection or power from the system when not in use.

    I personally have no great fear that someone at MS is going to risk a huge class action lawsuit and gigantic public relations scandal at the opportunity to potentially watch a bunch of gamers be boring as hell on their couch/chair/bed 90% of the time.

    It's far more likely that the thing will be just as advertised. I don't like all of it, you may not like most/all of it, but realistically speaking, most people won't care about most of it.

    The 40 times more powerful is bullshit of course, but that's marketing bullshit. Just like how the PS2 was so powerful it could be used to guide smart missiles, or the Dreamcast was "thinking". There is a huge difference between PR buzzspeak and actual technical details.

  14. #44
    Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Or until big brother decides to take a peak at you.

    Mind you, only to prevent moar terrorisms frum happenings!
    I already addressed that. But why would you assume they would limit this to only MS?
    If they are going to go after something, they would go after everyone. And personally I'd go for apple and google to get access to the camera in a phone long before I'd bother with the much smaller console market.

  15. #45
    Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    I already addressed that. But why would you assume they would limit this to only MS?
    If they are going to go after something, they would go after everyone. And personally I'd go for apple and google to get access to the camera in a phone long before I'd bother with the much smaller console market.
    This is a flawed argument. Just because my privacy is already violated several times a day doesn't mean I will welcome such invasions with open arms. Two wrongs
    Don't make a right, just because everybody is jumping off a bridge didn't mean you have to, deflection fallacy, etc. There is a litany of reasons this sort of argument is pointless and doesn't sway anybody.
    A retarded Sonic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •