Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: your top 5 cd games

Banned by Administrators

Default your top 5 cd games

what is your top 5 sega cd games

chart them and say why

the reason why i ask this is im planning to buy some games for it i recently purchased it

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Snatcher
    Final Fight CD
    Robo Aleste
    Popful mail
    Panic!
    Ecco The Dolphin
    Sonic CD

If you like the sega CD, you can't go wrong with the neo geo CD. I'd also recommend that for all your 16 bit CD needs.

In no particular order:

Sonic CD - The most essential Sega CD title that wasn't just another Sonic game.
    Robo Aleste CD - Probably my favorite shmup: strong controls, great music score, beautiful level detail, and fantastic mecha designs.
    Lunar: Silver Star CD - If Meatloaf's "I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" was a video game.
    Lunar II: Eternal Blue CD - If Meatloaf put out a video game sequel that was just as great as "I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)".... but with better graphics.
    Snatcher CD - Overpriced? As of late, yes, but overrated? No way, this epic cyberpunk thriller is truly captivating. Hunting down a bunch of killing-machines in the ambiguity of a futuristic Japan while uncovering your amnesiac past has never been so much fun; complimented by some of the finest English dubbing - Snatcher makes you feel like part of the game rather than just playing it. Great experience.

Honorary mentions: ShadowRun CD.... Well, I'm lying - I've never played it, but it looks so damn cool! Will someone please write a review on this?!

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Robo Aleste - Phenomenal Vertical shooter. MUSHA is more frantic but this one is more polished.
    Snatcher - The best digital comic game ever made.
    Android Assault - Phenomenal Horizontal shooter.
    Popful Mail - Super fun sidescrolling action/adventure game.
    SoulStar - Takes some getting used to, but it's amazing, really shows what the system was capable of.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Earthworm Jim: Special Edition - all the greatness of EWJ, with an extra level and CD music
    Battlecorps - awesome FPS for the SCD
    Ecco: The Tides of Time - the best Ecco game (IMO) with awesome music
    Sonic CD - not my favorite Sonic game, but still a great Sonic game with a unique game design
    Silpheed - great shooter with awesome background video

Vay
    Lunar
    Sonic CD
    Android Assault
    Final Fight CD
    Be Attitude For Gains!

01. Snatcher
    02. Shining Force CD
    03. Lunar 1 + 2
    04. Robo Aleste
    05. Terminator CD

People keep forgetting he asked that you say WHY you recommend the games, not just a simple list.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    People keep forgetting he asked that you say WHY you recommend the games, not just a simple list.
    There's no forgetting about it with regard to my post. I just didn't give enough of a shit to bother.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I'm not willing to nominate the following games for a Top 5, nor do I feel like I've spent enough time with the Sega CD library to do so -- but if you're looking for cheap, fun titles, you could do worse than these:

Sol-Feace - an excellent shmup/shooter that's marred by a frustrating continue system (bumps you back to Stage 5), but it's cheap and the Redbook audio is nice

Wirehead - so far the best FMV-driven game I've played, as long as you accept that you must map it out (or have a damn good memory); wonderfully ridiculous, and even has a few semi-secrets

AH-3 Thunderstrike - genuinely impressive graphics help make this a fine way to scratch that early-3D helicopter itch

Lethal Enforcers - I think the Sega CD big box might be cheaper than the regular Genesis one, or maybe I just got a good deal, but either way I think the added CD assets make a real difference here

Earnest Evans (JPN) - just adds Redbook audio and cutscenes to the cart version, but somehow they elevate the game, which has been aptly described as a "beautiful mess"; Japanese-exclusive, dirt cheap, but you'll need some sort of bypass cart or region-free BIOS to run it on non-JPN hardware

Also, five cheap titles I'd recommend avoiding:

Star Wars Chess - silly garbage, buggy interface, doesn't even play a good game of chess

Star Wars: Rebel Assault - if you can play this on 3DO instead, do it; the Sega CD version seems tolerable at first, but several later levels (and all of Hard mode) are totally inscrutable thanks to the trashed graphics

Black Hole Assault - this has no more than an hour of gameplay in it, and it's not good gameplay

Racing Aces - a few people out there vouch for this game, but I gave it a solid effort a while back and still found that the low framerate made it abominably unplayable

Anet Futatabi (JPN) - the third game in the El Viento trilogy, and one of the saddest excuses for a beat-'em-up I've ever played; just watch the cutscenes on Youtube and skip the game

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

#1 Batman Returns CD - The Driving Scenes and the Music are unbelievably cool.
    #2 Final Fight CD - Best conversion period, including crappy compilation and emulated DLC versions.
    #3 Amazing Spiderman vs. Kingpin - Awesome Action Platformer in a relatively non-linear open city, cool real time cutscenes.
    #4 AH3 Thunderstrike - Great use of the Graphics CoProcessor, Missions and Action better than the entire Strike series.
    #5 Blackhole Assault - Decent fighter with cool cutscenes, level designs and awesome music. I wanted a sequel with more moves.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Popful Mail - A fun, unique Action RPG with a cute story and great voice acting from Working Designs.

Lunar: TSS & Lunar: Eternal Blue - Classic RPGs if you're into that

The Terminator - A fun game with good music, and unique to the system. Also relatively cheap compared to others.

Sewer Shark - You need a bit of FMV and this was a pack-in for a reason. It's cheap, fun, and not too punishing if you get used to playing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Shining Force CD: the real Shining Force games are as good as games get and this is much more than a Game Gear compilation. The game play and aesthetics are more polished than the Genesis entries and the games are more enjoyable without the not-really-roleplaying filler between battles.

Cobra the Space Adventure: the most enjoyable and balanced digital comic adventure I've played so far. Really justifies the CD format more than most games. The pitch perfect localization really seals the deal.

Lunar EB: Silver Star was an experiment that got kicked out the door long before it was finished. Eternal Blue is finely polished all round and a fun epic game, even with the WD meddling.

Keio Flying Squadron: even if you're not a shooter fan, this game is worth playing just to experience the amazing visuals. Although technically impressive, it's the unque characters and artwork that are the signature of this special game.

Lords of Thunder: a great port of an amazing and underappreciated game. It doesn't matter if the original version is better is some ways, the Sega-CD version is still gorgeous and super fun. One of my favorite games for all platforms.

Death Adder's minion

My top 5 would be:

Terminator 1-- I am a huge Terminator fan imo this is the best Terminator game ever made. I love the soundtrack and the game is a ton of fun.

Final Fight-- I am also a huge Final Fight nut. This was the best and most arcade accurate version at the time. Blows the poor SNES version out of the water.

Lethal Enforcers-- Loved the arcade game and I love the Justifier. I also enjoy the less censorship to the SNES version. I can play this over and over.

Demolition Man-- The music upgrade makes this game make the list. I get so pumped up playing this game. Plus it plays a lot faster then the SNES counterpart. Movie was great too.

Robo Aleste-- Fantastic shump. Great colours and fast paced action. It feels like an arcade game to me.

Besides the great titles that our comrades posted , i'll add a few more:

Dark Wizard - A truly excelente RPG/Strategy game with great art and character design, good gameplay and extremelly imersive. And has Shinobi as secret member to your party!

Flashback - It was great on the Mega Drive, but the new animations and especially the new CD soundtrack makes it a killer game.

Mickey Mania has a great Sega CD version as well.

Thread Information