Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEGA Saturn controller to SEGA Genesis adapter?

Banned by Administrators

Default SEGA Saturn controller to SEGA Genesis adapter?

Are there any out there? I came across this guy-

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

Who only seems to do Nintendo stuff, but it would be great if I could use one of the several Saturn controllers I have lying around on my Genesises.

I dont know if you can get a ready made one but I dont think so. And anyway the 6 button controller for the Genesis is supposed to be near as good as the Saturn one.

For the DIY minded person, I recalled that some dude built himself a demultiplexer for the saturn controller because he wanted to use it on his Xbox.
    He could have hacked the saturn pad and saved a lot of trouble, but we all know that You go directly to hell in the afterlife if you destroy a saturn pad.
    This guy obvioulsy did not want to go to hell so He built this complicated thing to use a stock Saturn controller.

He made a work log and ITs pretty much all explained. I found the links after searching around some:
    http://solid-orange.com/hacks/saturn...roller-adapter
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...&#entry3546461

From the demultiplexer you can re-encode to whatever you want. He did his for a xbox but For a genesis that would be as simple as buying a 5$ chinese knockoff controller and hack it.
    Pretty epic stuff if you ask me.

The Gen/Megadrive 6 button (not the shitty blue start button ones) are much better then Model 2 saturn pad imo.... why even bother

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by STONEDSTONER View Post
    The Gen/Megadrive 6 button (not the shitty blue start button ones) are much better then Model 2 saturn pad imo.... why even bother
    Because, like you said, it's your opinion. So why even bother to complain about my inquiry?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninsega View Post
    Because, like you said, it's your opinion. So why even bother to complain about my inquiry?
    Ok, piss off

Banned by Administrators

For anyone interested in having an adapter that does Saturn control pads -> Genesis, there is ONE device that can get this done-

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussi...-converters/p1

It's called a Fighting Game Widget, or FGW for short. It requires a soldering perfectionist, though (which I am not). It goes for $15 (plus ~$6 shipping). It can be purchased here-

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninsega View Post
    I think it's a wicked idea. I agree a plug and play adapter is much cooler than some do it yourself kit. Customers don't want something complicated they want something they can fire up and enjoy. This probably is better suited for the tech aid section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWar View Post
    I dont know if you can get a ready made one but I dont think so. And anyway the 6 button controller for the Genesis is supposed to be near as good as the Saturn one.

Agreed. Just grab one of those and your set.

As for adapters? Nope. When manufactures have adapters in mind, they're almost always for connecting older controllers to newer systems. 9.8 times out of 10, there won't exist an adapter for newer controllers to work on older systems.

Saturn pad working on PS2, XBox, etc? Sure.

Working on SNES or Genesis and older? Not happening.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

^unless an adaptor isn't necessary like with the Genesis controller to the Atari 2600.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    ^unless an adaptor isn't necessary like with the Genesis controller to the Atari 2600.

Thats not an exception. Those just happen to work.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    Thats not an exception. Those just happen to work.
    Well, the Genesis controller "just happens to work" for the SMS as well, but I understand that facts contrary to the broad generalizations that you pontificate as fact are not officially "exceptions" in your wise eyes.

Road Rasher

I don't think the FGW can act as a full Saturn->Genesis converter by itself. It will demultiplex the Saturn's controller output, but it doesn't seem to have any multiplexing support. There's no reason an equally simple device couldn't do both though. A cheap AVR or PIC has way more horsepower than you need for this kind of thing.

It's actually possible to read a Saturn gamepad from a Genesis with a passive adapter (they both use 7-bit parallel IO ports), but the multiplexing is handled differently so it won't work with code designed for standard Genesis controllers.

The Saturn has the exact same controller bus for peripherals as the Genesis, but because of threats by Atari to sue people using their "patented" 9-pin DSUB connector, Sega changed the controller port connectors. You can make a straight Saturn-to-Genesis adapter, but at that point only homebrew would be able to use the Saturn controllers. That is because Sega took to opportunity to change how their controllers worked yet again (3-button -> 6-button -> Saturn pad), making it more like the MegaMouse in the way it communicates with the console. This allowed them to make the controllers return more data in a more controlled manner, but means the pads aren't DIRECTLY readable by Genesis games.

To make an adapter that would allow Saturn pads to work with existing Genesis games means you would need something like a PIC chip that read the Saturn controller with it's two-line protocol, then turn it into the Genesis 3 or 6 button protocol. It's not hard, it's just something no one has bothered with because there was so little call for it. If you like Saturn controllers, you generally like the Genesis controllers they derived from, so you just use the ubiquitous Genesis controller as there's no adapter needed. There's nothing on a Saturn controller supported that isn't also on the standard 6-button controller.

Banned by Administrators

I found a guy over at Neo-Geo.com that's willing to do a project like this for me.

Search for Lemony Vengeance. The guy is awesome and very enthusiastic to do any kind of project. His prices are good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Well, the Genesis controller "just happens to work" for the SMS as well, but I understand that facts contrary to the broad generalizations that you pontificate as fact are not officially "exceptions" in your wise eyes.

SMS? Thats just like PS2 controllers being backward compatible with PSOne. It is not an adapter such as the topic refers. Stop thy foolishness.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 07-02-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Thread Information