Quantcast

Thread: Ground Zero Texas

Ground Zero Texas

Full motion video attack! Yes, many gamers automatically think of these controversial games whenever the subject of the Sega CD comes up. There are a ton of them, and many deserve the negative comments that spew forth at the very mention of their name. What about Ground Zero Texas, one of Digital Pictures many attempts at making the genre popular? Well, you could possibly consider it the poster boy for everything people hate with FMV games. Read our full review and see why some times, a nuclear strike isn't necessarily a bad idea.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.

FMV games time and time again you fail me why are so few of you good while so many of you are atrocious?

Wildside Expert

WOW! I got that game for Christmas the year it came out. I didn't think it was THAT bad, although it only took a day or two to beat the game. Menacer or Lethal Enforcers light gun would've made it a lot better tho. I remember back in the day, the ad's Digital Pictures were running made a big deal they spent $3 million in production and explosions. Oh well.

Fonz Road Rasher

Me too... I don't think it was that bad...
    I liked the kitch/vintage spirit on it ^^, looked like a bad movie.
    And the gameplay was quite enjoyable until getting too hot (at end of part two) for my poor gaming skills.

To me, it is one of the most complex fmv game, not the best one but a good one

Corpse Killer uses the Menacer and some other light gun plus has fantastic full motion backgrounds (wow!) but unfortunately won't work with the Konami Justifier. Not only that but it even has a 32X version (double wow!)!!!

I guess this game sucks because it has to do with Texas and therefore was not worth the effort to put in full motion backgrounds and light gun support. That's the only thing I can figure, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    So back in 1992 or so, Digital Pictures, a new game developer headed by Tom Zito, was churning out interesting new games that used full-motion video to achieve a deep sense of realism and real movie actors to create the feeling of watching a blockbuster hollywood movie. The result often delivered games that were actually fun and had a lot of imagination.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... *ahem*...

... the result usually delivered sub par B-Movies (even by B-Movie standards) and one dimensional "gameplay" (even by one dimensional gameplay standards). The enjoyable, fun and imaginative FMV games were usually a rarity.

Tom Zito (I spit after saying his name) forced the SEGA CD into an early grave and helped SEGA the same way Firestone helped Ford.
    Last edited by Mendicant; 03-05-2007 at 09:06 AM.
    You have the ring... and I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

I've not played this FMV game, and I've heard some say this game is pure garbage, like the reviewer stated, and some say it's one of the better ones.

I do hate how the level of difficulty can be really high with some of these. I know you don't want to be too easy, but sometimes being too hard is even worse for a game. I'm playing Double Switch at the moment, and having to run around from various screens and trap the same bad guys over and over again is getting exhausting haha.

Wildside Expert

Yeah, Double Switch is just evil. And the 32X edition of Corpse Killer really sucks, big time!

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Why does the artwork on the front page make this game look better than it actually is?

Games is for playing, not watching.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

I think it is one of the better ones. It does not take long to beat, but you have to be quick when shooting things. The only one better than this is Double Switch and that is because of the humorous traps. Then again, I tend to enjoy these games for their camp value. The worst FMV goes to Marky Mark Make My Video (The worst of the series since I don't like his music).
    Last edited by Chris Marsh; 03-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    "O Rly"

Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    And the 32X edition of Corpse Killer really sucks, big time!
    But the non-32X version is fantastic?

Nameless One

I am surprised by the low score. I actually found it a good game. I like most FMV games overall, but this is most certainly not one of the worst ones. I can't see why someone would choose lethal enforcers (or anothers shooter) over this game. The shooter action is nice, it is hectic, switching cams, protecting them. Difficulty level is about right. Acting is funny, but bad, did anybody expect good actors?

I would give the game at least a 7/10

Wildside Expert

But the non-32X version is fantastic?
    Muhahahaha. I'll bet it's even worse, but I haven't played it so I can't comment on that.

Thread Information