Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Everdrive Version 3

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I'm still waiting for that one guy to make something similar to this but also stated it would have online compatibility for 2 player games.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 07-23-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Did you buy it ? I would really like to see the 32 x load times of ed # 3 compared to mega ed (# 2), cheetah speed. I know ed # 1 has turtle speed.
    I bought the mega everdrive right when it came out, so no I didn't get the new cheaper model.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    but UMKT is 10Mbyte.
    My bad. =P Nevermind my post, then.

Banned by Administrators

Wasn't Chilly's Sega CD RAM update or something by Krill supposed to me in new ed version and as a update o/s for mega ed ?

Again, not sure why this 3rd version was released unless the older carts are being reported as burned out hence moving o/s to sd instead of flash chip on cart.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    My bad. =P Nevermind my post, then.
    This is a far superior hack and actually a very good game, unlike MKT, and it's 6 MB:
    http://elektropage.ru/forum/11-101-1

I'd say it would be a great bonus to be able to play that hack in the Everdrive MD v3 (hopefully someone will confirm it's actually compatible).

That's pretty cool that he keeps updating the hardware. I am pretty happy with my Everdrive 1 though. It loads slow, but it's not THAT slow. It's definitely bearable.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    It's basically the exact same hardware as version 2, but updated for all he's learned since. It still has 8MB of flash and no FM, but it has a better board layout (he mentions on the page it can pass tests for radio-frequency interference), allows roms up to what fits in the 8MB flash (minus the default boot loader in the flash), loads the "OS" from the SD card, and has updates for the SMS mapping (there were issues with games like Asterix). In other words, it's everything you expect in a big update of hardware (v2 to v3).

But how well does it return to main menu? Stable?

And no Ram? Still using flash chips?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    But how well does it return to main menu? Stable?
    No idea - have to wait until someone gets one.

And no Ram? Still using flash chips?
    Nope, still using flash.

Nope, still using flash.

Wha? Why?!

Not that i'm one of those foolish types that worries about the flash chip somehow running out of rewrites(150 yrs from now), but the substantially faster loading would be much welcome upgrade. As it stands, the ease of menu reset is the only reason i'd want one. It better be good!

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Wasn't Chilly's Sega CD RAM update or something by Krill supposed to me in new ed version and as a update o/s for mega ed ?
    ?

Wha? Why?!

Not that i'm one of those foolish types that worries about the flash chip somehow running out of rewrites(150 yrs from now), but the substantially faster loading would be much welcome upgrade. As it stands, the ease of menu reset is the only reason i'd want one. It better be good!
    It still uses flash because it's still the Everdrive MD. It's EXACTLY the same card as the v1 and v2, but updated as I mentioned above. If he changed the card, it wouldn't be an Everdrive MD anymore, it would be something else.

It would be the Mega Everdrive!

Wha? Why?!

You could always spend the extra 60$.

It still uses flash because it's still the Everdrive MD. It's EXACTLY the same card as the v1 and v2, but updated as I mentioned above. If he changed the card, it wouldn't be an Everdrive MD anymore, it would be something else.

Thats foolish to consider such an worthwhile advancement as somehow being "exclusive" to one, and shouldn't ever be in the other.

And why not? Because it wasn't originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It would be the Mega Everdrive!

Pretty sure theres MORE than just Ram that makes it the "Mega" Everdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    You could always spend the extra 60$.

For the Mega Everdrive? From what i've heard it kinda sucks for returning to main menu as it is unstable, doesn't always work, may lead to crashes, just a better idea to restart the console, etc. Same goes for the savestate feature.

Inotherwords, $60 extra for unstable features that may not see any worthwhile use.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 07-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Thats foolish to consider such an worthwhile advancement as somehow being "exclusive" to one, and shouldn't ever be in the other.

And why not? Because it wasn't originally?
    Because it's the CHEAPEST way to make a flash cart. Changing it to ram would make it more expensive, and the EDMD is meant to be the cheap card. If you want an expensive one, you get the MED.

Pretty sure theres MORE than just Ram that makes it the "Mega" Everdrive.
    Yes, the two main things to being the MegaED is the ram and the FPGA. Adding ram to the EDMD won't make it a MED - it would be sorta between the two.

For the Mega Everdrive? From what i've heard it kinda sucks for returning to main menu as it is unstable, doesn't always work, may lead to crashes, just a better idea to restart the console, etc. Same goes for the savestate feature.
    The SaveState is very hard to pull off on real hardware given it's a cart, but it does a decent job, working on many games. Everything else is fine... never had a problem with mine. Returning to the Main Menu from a game is a part of SaveState - if a game doesn't work with SaveState, it also probably won't return to the menu via the SaveState manager either. It's not a bug, it's a realization that no Genesis game was ever made to work with a SaveState device, and that you can get one to work at all is just short of a miracle.

Inotherwords, $60 extra for unstable features that may not see any worthwhile use.
    The $60 is for a lot more than just SaveState - it's for extra ram (16MB), support for flat linear roms up to 10MB, super-fast loading from SD, and the ability to update the cart beyond any current capabilities via a software update.

Thread Information