Quantcast

Thread: Translating Lunar Silver Star Story for the Saturn

Default Translating Lunar Silver Star Story for the Saturn

So anyone from SegaSaturn.co.uk has probably seen the thread I started about my messing with the data files in this game. Basically I've been exploring the idea of taking the PS1 data and converting it over to the Saturn to see if it will work.

So far I've mostly just explored the files on my MPEG copy, an ISO I downloaded of the English PS1 version, and an ISO of the Standard Saturn version to basically study and see what's different between them. The file formats for the most part seem to be similar along with the file structure. More info on that can be found on the thread I started at SegaSaturn.co.uk:

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com...ver-star-story

Basically I think the idea could work, if I can figure out the endian conversion and more about what files are what specifically. Obviously some work will need done to accommodate the change in script size and file size though. That's where my experience starts to spread thin.

So basically I'm posting this here to see if anyone here would be interesting in doing this and possibly helping out. While there is a good PS1 version in English, it still would be nice to have the Saturn version in English as well if possible.

I also tried converting the audio over with some limited success:

The audio gets cut off and the game hangs. My first thought was maybe that RAM was filling up from the larger files, so I tried reducing the sample rate to see if that would make any difference:

The first clip still gets cut off at the first spot, but the 2nd one at last plays. So my guess with this is that the Saturn is expecting smaller clips and doesn't know how to handle the bigger ones.

That's a great idea. The Saturn needs more projects like that.
    Have you tried Romhacking to see if you can enlist someone to help you in this project?

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

And a translated version of Grandia too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

And might as well get Soukyugurentai translated, while you're at it.
    We will not rest until Vita TV.

Since we're talking about translations, Princess Crown on the Saturn is being translated:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15979.0

Outrunner

I've done some checking and I can edit the text in the Saturn Madou Monogatari, but due to the lack of recompression tools, it is not possible to put the text back in the game.

I'd love this. I love translations! I wish I had time to play every one of them. Good luck on your progress!

Copy/Paste update from my SegaXtreme thread:

Ok, I figured I'd give an update on the TEXT files.

So I believe the first 0x800 bytes of these are the headers. In each one it appears that there's at least this much space reserved before what appears to be the bulk of the file. That's pretty much all of the good news.

Basically these files are a bit of a toss up when doing comparisons. From what I've found out comparing the JP PS1 files to the Saturn files is that the Saturn data is larger. This could mean that the PS1 data is compressed in some way. The issue I described earlier is related exclusively to the file TEXT000.DAT. That one has what appear to be symbol tables scattered throughout it, and on the PS1 these tables tend to be a couple bytes larger throwing things off. The data in these appears to be identical for the most part, but the data in between them appears to be quite different with the Saturn data being the larger of the two.

So it would appear that the first thing necessary to make any headway would be to figure out if and how the PS1 files are compressed. Once that can be determined then we could figure out if the data is in fact the same and can be transplanted back and forth.

I am thinking a good place to start with this would be to figure out how to read the file headers and see if that can point to any clues about how to read the files and if they are compressed.

If anyone else wants to take a look at the files and possibly help figure them out I have uploaded them to my drop box here:

PS1:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m005m0w368...S1_JP_TEXT.zip

Saturn:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwezlgtdgv...ATURN_TEXT.zip

I suggest using a program like Hex Workshop (or any Hex Editor for that matter) to view them.

I love this idea man. I asked this same thing on lunar threads back in 2010 but was told there was no point with the ps1 version already existing. I ended up playing the saturn mpeg edition and keeping a copy of the English game script open on my iPad. In the end I got through my first Japanese language game ever.

Swing swords like shinobi WCPO Agent IrishNinja's Avatar

damn, i'd buy the video card thing for this. and a princess crown one too, nice! great thread.

Yeah this is pretty much on hold until I get more time or additional help. It's not going to be a simple swap and is going to require ROM Hacking skills to dump both scripts from the PS1 and Saturn versions. These are skills I do not have. So until I have more time to devote to learning these skills or until someone with these skills steps up to help this isn't going anywhere. To make things worse the only Saturn emulator with a debugger can't run either versions of the game. So that makes it very difficult to figure out things like pointer values, where text is stored, how text is compressed, etc.

My job now requires me to commute from Baltimore to Southern DC every day. So a lot of my free time has disappeared.

Nameless One

Nice to see some Saturn projects.
    I'm still hoping to see Riglord Saga 2 translated to english some day. The first part (Mystaria) is among my favorite games of all time.

Nameless One

I'm still hoping to see Riglord Saga 2 translated to english some day
    I decided to browse through the ISO in a hex editor, and it looks like all the japanese text is Shift-JIS encoded. That makes things a bit simpler. Perhaps I'll try my hand at extracting the dialogues and menus.

I would love to do Saturn translations but I need to touch up a bit on my japanese. I'm doing well on my studies it's just that I'm not quite 'there' yet, you know? I would love to do Saturn, Mega Drive, and the scant few original Xbox imports that merit it. So, mostly the niche stuff.

Thread Information