Quantcast

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis 1 & Mega Drive 1 stereo mod no headphones volume control

The legendary gargoyle Road Rasher Firebrandx's Avatar

Encountered what appears to be a noise coupling issue, so I've redesigned the switcher board to have ground planes on each layer. Sending them off for fabrication today. On the line amp kits, I've got those boards in and will be populating them and writing the web guide for installation. I should have them ready for sale in a few days. However, it's a very limited batch, so I'm going to leave the sale page up for preorders in order to make as many as needed on demand. It has to be done this way as I wasted a lot of money on the SNES boards, where I only sold 1/3rd of the boards I had fabricated.

In better news, I found some board-to-board connectors that will work much more 'professionally' than my previous method of stacking 3 dual wipes & super-gluing them. With the new connectors, it will just require a single dual wipe installed on the Genesis itself, and the posts will connect directly to that. The bonus is I get an extra 2mm of height to play with as well and can trim down from there as needed.
    Last edited by Firebrandx; 08-03-2018 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrandx View Post
    Encountered what appears to be a noise coupling issue, so I've redesigned the switcher board to have ground planes on each layer. Sending them off for fabrication today. On the line amp kits, I've got those boards in and will be populating them and writing the web guide for installation. I should have them ready for sale in a few days. However, it's a very limited batch, so I'm going to leave the sale page up for preorders in order to make as many as needed on demand. It has to be done this way as I wasted a lot of money on the SNES boards, where I only sold 1/3rd of the boards I had fabricated.

In better news, I found some board-to-board connectors that will work much more 'professionally' than my previous method of stacking 3 dual wipes & super-gluing them. With the new connectors, it will just require a single dual wipe installed on the Genesis itself, and the posts will connect directly to that. The bonus is I get an extra 2mm of height to play with as well and can trim down from there as needed.
    Sale page? Hmm...where at as I would very much like to preorder several of them to put into three such modded systems I own!

I have to write the pages, so they are not up yet. Going to be working on that today.

Also just got notified from OSH Park the new Yamaha swicher boards have been sent to the Aug 8th fabrication date. I'm crossing my fingers the ground planes will protect against the coupling issues on the 3438!

Made some improvements on the board fitting concept while waiting for the new protos (which are due in about 10 days). This newer design sits another mm higher, sports robust board-to-board pins, and dual wipe sockets for both chips. This makes the entire mod modular and reversible without any soldering or de-soldering required. You just pull the board out of the base dual wipe, pull the 2612 out of the dual wipe on the mod board, and plug it into the dual wipe on the Genesis main board. Presto! Mod board completely removed whenever needed!

So now I'm just waiting on those new protos, which hopefully will fix the minor glitch issue I'm having with the 3438 mode. I'm sure it will, but if not, I've got some experts that can help suss out the problem.

This looks fantastic, but I can already tell that it now sits too high and would interfere with the RF shield wouldn't it? Yes, I'm strange and still have the RF shield attached even though I'm not using the RF out anymore. It still helps to filter additional RF now being given off by the 1000s of other more modern electronics we use today from causing issues...LOL

Amazing work though really! I'm going to need like 2 or three of these plus 2 or three of the line level amp output boards to go with please?!.... lol

Actually the RF shield sits right on top of it, with the benefit of providing a little extra heat dissipation from the top of the chips. But not to worry, you can fully bolt down the RF shield in this configuration and it just fits without any warping.

One other improvement I'm going to make on the final board design is moving the sliding toggle switch to where it is centered under the circular hole of the metal RF shroud. This will make switching chip modes even easier. Also going to add in wire pads for those that want to wire up a STDP switch to the console case (so you don't even have to open the Genesis, but that's for people that don't mind cut-modding).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

So what’s the story on the line level output mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaranar View Post
    So what’s the story on the line level output mod?
    Currently coding the sales and installation guide along with photography. I ran into an issue last night where Paypal decided out of the blue to start removing seller settings from personal accounts with no explanation. No heads-up like "You can no longer set shipping preferences on a personal account" in your options. The link just vanished. After spending two hours trying to find it and Google for it, I finally gave up and contacted Paypal support. They told me they are removing seller options in order to force people to upgrade to business accounts. Of course they did this without coding the site to reflect these changes, thus wasting my time. So today I have to go through the BS of doing a business account that I never wanted to do in the first place.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics from my coding and photography:

Pre-order page is going live tomorrow night by the way!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Hello friend

I have a little doubt.
    I'm a bit lay about genesis hardware, I'd like to know if with the Model 1 Jap I would have some benefit with your board.
    And what would be the benefit?
    Thanks and congratulations for the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrandx View Post
    Pre-order page is going live tomorrow night by the way!
    Awesome! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Chev Chelios View Post
    Hello friend

I have a little doubt.
    I'm a bit lay about genesis hardware, I'd like to know if with the Model 1 Jap I would have some benefit with your board.
    And what would be the benefit?
    Thanks and congratulations for the hard work.
    As long as it has the CXA1034P chip in it (the headphone amplifier chip), you can install this mod. The benefit is more clarity in the high frequencies, and actual line-level impedance output instead of headphone-based output. When I post the live links tonight, there will be a demonstration of the audio differences link on the sales page. BTW, nice reference to 'Crank'. ;-)

Also please be aware that you need to know how to desolder a chip in order to install this mod. If you don't know how to do that, then you would need someone with that experience to do this mod for you.

Will you only have the line level amp initially or will the double mega be an option as well?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Will you only have the line level amp initially or will the double mega be an option as well?
    Double Mega is still in R&D phase, so this is just for the line amp board. However, the line amp board can be installed ahead of time and ready to go for the Double Mega board when I finish R&D on it.

Pre-order and installation pages are now up for the Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive model 1 bypass amp kits for the 48 contiguous United States! International orders will need to email me for setting up custom orders. Cheers and thanks for waiting!

http://www.firebrandx.com/genesislineampmod.html

Just ordered 3 of them. However, your ordersuccess.html that PP reverts back to is tossing a 404 error...

Thanks again! Will be installing one for sure into my va2 model 1.

Thread Information