Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: El Viento

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Alvatron View Post
    Its a shame El Viento and Earnest Evans haven't been updated for the new game systems. Kinda like Valis, all these games would be awesome on next gen systems.
    they certainly would mate

This one started out OK, But the cheap deaths in the later levels turned me off. For example, the platforms hovering over the spikes in the 2nd level.

average!

I'm glad you liked this game. I just could not get into it! I wanted to, but I just hate the engine used. There's no invincibility frames and you can soak up five hits of damage in seconds from the same enemy, making the game way harder than it needed to be. Also, the storyline sounded cool but was almost incomprehensible due to the terrible translation. I did appreciate the general design and the music, but the gameplay kind of stinks. Still a step up from Earnest Evans, though

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Alvatron View Post
    Its a shame El Viento and Earnest Evans haven't been updated for the new game systems. Kinda like Valis, all these games would be awesome on next gen systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
    they certainly would mate
    Given how the latest Valis turned out, they probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    I just could not get into it!
    I'm not a fan, either. Ugly explosions, bland and sometimes hideous enemies, and dull level design turn me off. I think if it weren't for the anime cutscenes and developer cred, it'd be much less accepted as a "good" game, but that's just me hatin'.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I like the game quite a bit myself. The player character controls gracefully and her animation is above average for this type of game.

There's some creative ideas peppered throughout, that, despite some typical unpolished Wolf Team elements make it worth playing through. It's all a bit crazy but the game is solid enough IMO. Level design is inventive and takes advantage of the strange physics (I particularly liked where you have to use the magic that snakes along the ground and down holes to claim otherwise unobtainable bonuses). El Viento has some issues, but dull level design certainly isn't the first thing that comes to my mind.

Overall good graphics (they get better in places later on, and that goes for the sprites and the backgrounds), and some catchy music round this one out nicely for me. It's not my go-to side-scrolling action game but it sits happily in my collection for the above reasons.

Come to think of it, I see no reason for El Viento not to occupy the same tier as Alisia Dragoon, Mystic Defender/Kujajou Oh 2, and Jewel Master, for example. All solid side-scrolling action games held back from reaching 'great' status thanks to a few flaws in their design.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 06-22-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I thought El Viento was super-fun until the last level. Up to that point, it does the fast-moving action-platformer thing about as well as I've seen it done, with pitch-perfect difficulty. And since I like Wolf Team's perennially farty explosions and goofy sensibility, it all works for me.

(But those bats...)

I miss this game, especially the music.

I discovered El Viento back in the day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Later, I got Earnest Evans and Annett Futatabi on the Sega/Mega CD simply because I liked the first game so much. I didn't find Earnest to be nearly as cool, but Annett was fairly fun.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Given how the latest Valis turned out, they probably would.

I'm not a fan, either. Ugly explosions, bland and sometimes hideous enemies, and dull level design turn me off. I think if it weren't for the anime cutscenes and developer cred, it'd be much less accepted as a "good" game, but that's just me hatin'.
    how did the latest valis pan out then?

You can look up Valis X, but not at work!

OT:

One of my favorite Wolf Team games, horrifically frustrating final level notwithstanding. Dashing around the screen frying thugs with fireballs just feels right.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I thought El Viento was super-fun until the last level. Up to that point, it does the fast-moving action-platformer thing about as well as I've seen it done, with pitch-perfect difficulty. And since I like Wolf Team's perennially farty explosions and goofy sensibility, it all works for me.

(But those bats...)
    I agree there. Despite my praise for the game above, that last level - those God-forsaken bats - was just beyond stupid. Looks like Wolf Team were just trolling by that point.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I agree there. Despite my praise for the game above, that last level - those God-forsaken bats - was just beyond stupid. Looks like Wolf Team were just trolling by that point.

Having never gotten to the last level of this classic game I can't comment

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Having immersed myself in a lot of Telenet/Wolf Team/RIOT/Renovation games over the past few months, I think just about all of them start to fall apart by the end. The last level of El Viento is a pretty baffling example of shoddy workmanship, though this is sadly par the course for Telenet. At the least the rest of the game is fun and exciting, whereas randomly-spawning bats that cling to you and drain all of your health is the antithesis of fun!

I always get this feeling that Wolf Team or whomever were always in the final stretch of a game's development when higher-ups at Telenet barge and say "We ship in two weeks. Finish this up!" Occasionally you get a game that rises above the nonsense (Granada, El Viento) or you get games that have a few good ideas/production values marred by horrible execution (Earnest Evans, Annet Futatabi, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon).

Thread Information