Quantcast

Page 137 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2055

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    Hey guys, anyone know a quick fix for games that get that buzzy audio? I find that if I clean a game exhaustively and then play it for a few minutes the buzzing will often go away, but it never comes easy and always consumes an hour or so of my time whenever I switch to a new game.
    It is not the game cartridges it's the console. You probably need to recap the console or at least the few that are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Fusion View Post
    So I bought a PAL 32x off ebay and while I was waiting for the appropriate cables to arrive, I decided to crack it open and saw that a Component was potentially leaking. A component with the tag: Tokin SBC7-301-122-P3. My question is simple, what is it and where can I get a replacement part? If needed, I'll take a picture of it if requested. For now, I'm not going to run power to it until I'm sure of what I'm dealing with.
    It's a inductor/coil.
    Maybe this Fixed Inductors 330uH 10% Inductor Power.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Chaos Fusion's Avatar

@ EyeDeeNo76: Cheers, that clears up a bit. Not sure if what you linked is the right part though since the Coil Inductor has 3 legs where that one has 2 legs.

Additionally, I've removed it check the board and it definitely looks like it was leaking with some kind of yellowish crystallized residue where it once was. I'll post some pictures when I get home since I'm not sure if it was the Coil/Inductor leaking or if it was already there to begin with

Edit:

Probably best I start cleaning it
    Last edited by Chaos Fusion; 10-18-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker JamesF's Avatar

It's a yellow foam residue, it's there to prevent the coil from rattling with high currents.
    Coils don't leak anything, they're just a wound piece of wire, nothing to worry about.
    Sega Genesis Model1 VA6 & Model2 VA4 + Mega Everdrive X5

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Chaos Fusion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
    It's a yellow foam residue, it's there to prevent the coil from rattling with high currents.
    Coils don't leak anything, they're just a wound piece of wire, nothing to worry about.
    Cool, That's a relief. Wish I saw this before I cleaned it off...More that it looked like the board where it was mounted were corroding and I didn't want to leave it there in case it was.

That said then, what can I use to replace it? Whats the name of the stuff used or can I simply just resolder the Coil without it and nothing would have changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Fusion View Post
    Cool, That's a relief. Wish I saw this before I cleaned it off...More that it looked like the board where it was mounted were corroding and I didn't want to leave it there in case it was.

That said then, what can I use to replace it? Whats the name of the stuff used or can I simply just resolder the Coil without it and nothing would have changed?
    I would say you are fine to just put the original one back in. The foam was put in to reduce audible whine from the coil when high current was passed through it. They vibrate when this happens and the foam was to reduce that. So it won't hurt anything to put it back in as it was and if you wanted, you could likely just get another piece of foam material to sandwich in there if you wish.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker FullHitPoints's Avatar

Hey guys, thought I'd drop by to ask if anyone could help out with a problem my current Genesis is experiencing. I think there might be some connection issues with the AV out, because depending on the location of the console or the angle of the RCA cables, the picture may end up being completely black, even though there is sound. What's more, if I nudge the console ever-so-slightly, the picture blanks out until the console comes to a rest. Here's just a short demonstration of what I am talking about

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker RvR's Avatar

Hey guys, anyone know a quick fix for games that get that buzzy audio? I find that if I clean a game exhaustively and then play it for a few minutes the buzzing will often go away, but it never comes easy and always consumes an hour or so of my time whenever I switch to a new game.
    Searching through the internet all about this I have determined its my power cord. For some reason when I either switch games or unplug the power and plug it back in it causes the power adapter to be slightly too weak, causing the system to strain the power making a buzzing sound. So essentially the power cord has to "warm up" to new games and new wall sockets. In any case the hastle has caused me to finally give up on original genesis hardware. If I need to nostalgia trip on sonic I will bear it, but otherwise its just too tempting to emulate knowing the audio will be perfect every time.

Quote Originally Posted by FullHitPoints View Post
    Hey guys, thought I'd drop by to ask if anyone could help out with a problem my current Genesis is experiencing. I think there might be some connection issues with the AV out, because depending on the location of the console or the angle of the RCA cables, the picture may end up being completely black, even though there is sound. What's more, if I nudge the console ever-so-slightly, the picture blanks out until the console comes to a rest. Here's just a short demonstration of what I am talking about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x778...ature=youtu.be
    I would try a new set of cables before anything else. Such as Retro-bit here or at most of your favorite retailers.
    Edit: It doesn't take much to mess up the connections in a RCA plug or other end, a yank here a yank there can result in what you are describing. Edit2: If after trying a new cable and still cutting out than the socket on the PCB should be looked at as in the soldering to the board and the inside of the socket itself.. the metal that makes an connection to metal pins at the end of the av cable.

Searching through the internet all about this I have determined its my power cord. For some reason when I either switch games or unplug the power and plug it back in it causes the power adapter to be slightly too weak, causing the system to strain the power making a buzzing sound. So essentially the power cord has to "warm up" to new games and new wall sockets. In any case the hassle has caused me to finally give up on original genesis hardware. If I need to nostalgia trip on sonic I will bear it, but otherwise its just too tempting to emulate knowing the audio will be perfect every time.
    If this is the case why not try a new power supply unit? Retro-Bit AC Adapter for Genesis 2 and 3 or if model 1 Retro-bit AC Adapter for Genesis 1. Again also can be found at other retailers.

Edit3:
    Using almost thirty year old equipment can be a pain in the butt sometime and all depends on how dedicated one is to maintain it.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 10-21-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Give me a break I'm dyslectic

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker FullHitPoints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    I would try a new set of cables before anything else. Such as Retro-bit here or at most of your favorite retailers.
    Edit: It doesn't take much to mess up the connections in a RCA plug or other end, a yank here a yank there can result in what you are describing. Edit2: If after trying a new cable and still cutting out than the socket on the PCB should be looked at as in the soldering to the board and the inside of the socket itself.. the metal that makes an connection to metal pins at the end of the av cable.
    Well, I've decided to dig out my old RF Unit and try hooking that up. While the picture doesn't cut out, the audio isn't there at all, which probably speaks more about my RF Unit than my Genesis. Still, it's good to know that the problem isn't with my AV-Out port, and maybe that I just need to replace my RCA cables.

Wildside Expert

Bad A/V cables happen to the best of us. I just discovered my Genesis AV cable outputs Mono Out over the Right channel, not Stereo Right.
    Am thinking of building a dongle to fix that - I can't bring myself to throw out a thick cable with gold-tipped contacts.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I got a used copy of Sonic 3, and it doesn't appear to be saving.

First of all, I just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. I tried creating a new game, got a chaos emerald and made it to world 2, then got a game over. I could see my save was there. I reset, and the save was gone.

I tried creating several different saves, instantly killing myself, and saw that they were all there in the save select screen... but when I reset my Genesis, all the saves were gone again.

Am I somehow doing something wrong, or is something wrong with the game? Is this a common issue? If so, is there anything I can do short of replacing the FRAM chip?

I would say the chip is bad and I would just replace it with a working copy.

Edit: I guess there are still FRAM chips available. I would need to see the number of what is inside Sonic 3.

Edit2: FM1208S-200CC .
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 10-24-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training DAGarden's Avatar

I have a Sega Mega Drive II (PAL/UK) which works rather well, but I have 2 small issues with it that I thought I'd ask about:

1) When I turn on the console, I have a 50% chance of the picture flickering up and down (rather quickly, and makes playing almost impossible). If I turn the console off, and then back on, this appears to fix the issue. However, some games can sometimes trigger/un-trigger this 'effect' when the entire screen goes black (Rocket Knight Adventures, for example, triggers this on/off when I exit the options screen sometimes, when it stays on a black screen for a few seconds). Anyone have any idea what this is, or why it happens?

2) There's a lot of static noise coming from the console that varies from game to game. I have a pair of headphones connected to my television, and when I play certain games, the static noise is so loud/obnoxious, that it makes it hard for me to listen to the console sound uninterrupted. Is this normal? If it's not, is there any way I can possible remove/reduce the noise? I don't really want to get another Mega Drive, as I have a 32X that I sometimes connect to it which works with no issues, and given the flaky nature of the 32X working, I don't want to risk messing around with it's support.
    Last edited by DAGarden; 10-25-2017 at 10:42 AM.

DAGarden, what is the television are you using? Make and model would be nice but if can't general info will suffice. There could be a small chance it's the TV? Also what are you using to hook up to said television?
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 10-25-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added the word info

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training DAGarden's Avatar

I'm using a 16" HD-Ready Alba (I think the model number is LCDW16HDF) with an RGB Scart cable video/audio connection. I think it's either the TV or the cable that's at fault, but I really don't know. I guess I should try it on another TV (the one in the lounge, for example) and see if the issues are rectified first.

EDIT: Got around to testing on my living room TV, and the same problems persist, so I'm thinking it's either the cable or the Mega Drive II itself. I'm going to look into getting another RGB Scart cable first and if that doesn't fix the issue, I'm going to look into getting another Mega Drive.
    Last edited by DAGarden; 10-30-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Thread Information