Quantcast

Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145
Results 2,161 to 2,164 of 2164

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Question

Hi all. I've just acquired my first SegaCD (CD model 2, using with a Genesis model 2 VA3) and had a technical question. When playing CD games, the audio seems to pass through to the Genesis' original AV port fine, so what's the point of the CD unit having its own red/white RCA audio out? Is the audio from the CD base higher quality than from the passthrough? Thanks for your help!

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billybob884 View Post
    Hi all. I've just acquired my first SegaCD (CD model 2, using with a Genesis model 2 VA3) and had a technical question. When playing CD games, the audio seems to pass through to the Genesis' original AV port fine, so what's the point of the CD unit having its own red/white RCA audio out? Is the audio from the CD base higher quality than from the passthrough? Thanks for your help!
    The red and white RCA jacks are line level intended for a device that has a volume control such as a boombox, audio receiver or yes a TV.

Edit: Yeah a Genesis model 2 has stereo audio and by adding additional jacks to the Sega CD base provided flexibility like them playing an audio compact disc you can run it to audio receiver. Also not many people back in the day would listen to their TV from a audio receiver.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 11-06-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    The red and white RCA jacks are line level intended for a device that has a volume control such as a boombox, audio receiver or yes a TV.

Edit: Yeah a Genesis model 2 has stereo audio and by adding additional jacks to the Sega CD base provided flexibility like them playing an audio compact disc you can run it to audio receiver. Also not many people back in the day would listen to their TV from a audio receiver.
    Gotcha, thanks for the quick reply. So if you use a composite cable out from the Genesis AV, is the stereo RCA from there also line-level?

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Boy oh boy the forum was super slow yesterday on my end so I give up trying to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by billybob884 View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for the quick reply. So if you use a composite cable out from the Genesis AV, is the stereo RCA from there also line-level?
    Yes the model 2's red and white plugs of the audio & video cable are line level.

Thread Information