Quantcast

Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144 LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2160

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

4.45V is really low IMO. What's your input voltage?
    Does the 5V regulator get hot, or anything else on the 5V getting hot?

Not sure how to check the oscillator without an oscilloscope. If you have an arduino or the likes you could try with that.
    Or you could just swap the oscillator with your VA6, if they're the same, and see if it works on your VA6.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Madness Hero's Avatar

Gonna be getting a new soldering station in the next week, I'll recheck and record my voltage then and I'll also try swapping the oscillating xtal to the va6 like u said n I'll post my results. Thank for the reply!
    "Keep your friends close but get your enemies toaster."

Okay well I've added a little bit to the workload since getting the soldering station I got a broken Genesis VA to and Sega CD One JVC variant that both need repairs. Since obtaining my new soldering station I haven't had much time to do any work but I have replaced the voltage Regulators on the VA 3 along with capacitor c1c 79 and the bottom board capacitor these changes have increased the regulator's output from 4.6 to 4.8 however I'm still not getting any sound or picture. As for the VA2 it's issues are similar to the VA 3 in the fact that I get no picture or sound however the board has a few signs of rust near pins and when it's powered on I get faint red and blue jail bars on a black screen. I recorded the vr voltage at staggeringly low 3.8. I have only had time to clean up the board n replace the vrs and have recorded no voltage change. Am I just beating two dead horses?

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Full capacitor replacement, and you might need to run a signal trace on the main ICs to see if they're alive. The latter requires an oscilloscope (cheap handheld jobs are like $20 now). Alas, the last time I used an oscilloscope was like 14 years ago, and I was checking the clock frequency in a timer I had built in solid state lab, so I only have a ghost of that knowledge now.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Yeah, I'm going to try the full cap replacement on the VA 3 this weekend n see what happens, I have more hope for it than the VA2 because of the rust. As for the oscilloscope I'll have to put on the glasses of nerdicon n do my research there because those are unfamiliar waters to me. I have rudimentary knowledge of what I'm doing at best, just have good soldering skills lol. Kinda like a mechanic I can replace anything on it but when it comes to the engineer in level I'm left scratching my head.

Well, it's more simple than expected. Really, you just need to do a logic probe. Find which leads on a chip output data or any other kind of signal that can be monitored, and feed it into the scope so you can watch it. If you're seeing data being sent and received on the appropriate lines, then the chip can be assumed to be alright as far as a live/dead test goes. Troubleshooting is a pain in the neck to be sure, and even I don't have the equipment to do it. Still, with the rising cost of game system hardware, saving any "dead" systems with some elbow grease and study is a heroic effort. That said, don't try to dive too deeply, too quickly. It can become frustrating if you're out of your depth for too long. It took me about five or six years to replace my Goldstar 3DO's laser diode assembly because I really didn't want to go through the hassle of taking the drive apart and messing with a million tiny screws of differing lengths and thread pitches.
    Hah, while typing this, I got a call to troubleshoot a rifle that wasn't chambering cartridges correctly. SPORTS sorted it. Slap the magazine, pull the charging handle, observe the chamber/magazine top, release the charging handle, tap the forward assist, shoot.
    Youtube - Terminated

Yeah, I'm mainly doing this as a hobby. Not too worried about the cost of learning(spending a lil more than cost of a working console) but I'm definitely not trying to go crazy either. If I can change out some components n save a Sega I'm for it. I may look into a cheap oscilloscope which would long term probably save me alot of time on recapping dead systems.

The thing that might save the most time is a vacuum desoldering gun, like those stupidly expensive Hakko guns everyone shows off on Youtube. An o-scope is kind of like a timing light for troubleshooting car engines. Not a catch-all, but essential if you have a problem that calls for it. The desoldering gun would be like an air wrench.
    Youtube - Terminated

True but I also used the word "cheap" lol. I'd love a better desoldering method than a wick but its cheap

Look up TFT Digital Oscilloscope on ebay. A billion people selling cased versions. I may bother to get one if I get a wild hare to resurrect my Atari 2600 Vader.
    Youtube - Terminated

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

If you're only dealing with digital signals, low/high, then a cheap logic analyzer might be better (see aliexpress).
    You can probably find some schematic on google to make a digital signal out of the oscillator.
    Some of those usb logic analyzers also have one or two analog channels, which can be useful too but somewhat limited in range of frequency you can measure.

There are alternatives to those, like a genuine PC logic analyzer/oscilloscope mix which of course do cost more, but are just generally way better.

Like I said previously, there are projects out there that are using an arduino as a logic analyzer, so you might not even have to buy anything.

------

You might want to replace the voltage regulator too. You didn't mention it being warm, so I'm assuming it's not and thus not being overloaded by some faulty component down the line.
    Putting in a more recent voltage regulator will give you a more stable output. I've had to do this on my Mega-CD.

I haven't started working on the CD yet I'm still working on the VA 2 and VA 3 Genesis('s). I have replaced the v regs. In both gennys. The VA 3 has a good voltage improvement up to 4.8v I think, but the VA 2 had a really low voltage even after a changing the regulators, but I haven't changed any caps on it tho. I'm about half done recapping the va3

Whelp finished recapping the va3 with not luck, I have some pretty weird results. Still no audio altho I'm getting some crackling now with black screen, then after trying some cart leaning black screen turned into a random black/ static signal. Then I gave a light finger tap to the ram chips and CPU, n got a solid white screen, a solid yellow screen and a solid red screen on separate resets so I'm at a loss rn. Plus my wallet was stolen a week ago so I have no debit card to get anything else to test/ replace on it for a while. Thinking I'll just use it for parts unless anyone else has any ideas.

Several classic computing types online have had some luck in replacing RAM chips, and sometimes re-flowing other solder points. I keep my debit card information on paper for online use, but if anyone stole my wallet, I'd not be able to speak about it until the police cleared me.
    Youtube - Terminated

Another bummer to top it off my va6 just went out, was cleaning a few thing up on it gave it a few test runs n it was working but was having a few audio issues and I noticed my led was really dim, since the last time I checked my regulators voltages I knew they were low. So I measured them n they were like at 3.5 so I replaced them turned it on led came on bright tmss came up n then nothing. Led started to dim and the screen went black. so I measured voltage at the dc input and I'm only getting 6v instead of 9v. When I turn the unit off n check voltage it's out putting 9v. So I'm thinking it's got a few bad caps and my dc cord is
    dead.

Thread Information