Quantcast

Page 3 of 144 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe The Dude
    Lets say that I have:
    A Model 1 Sega Genesis.
    All of the Metal Plates from a Model 2 Sega CD.
    A Model 1 Sega CD (Without any Model 1 Metal Plates).

Can I use the Sega CD Model 2 Metal Plates with a Model 1 Sega CD?
    Will they line up properly?
    I don't think so, no.. The model 2 also has a tab that sticks out on the side, model 1's don't...

Joe The Dude

Thanks for the info.

While I'm looking to get a Model 1 Sega CD, I'll make sure that it comes with all of the proper stuff, including the metal plates.

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

Right very basic question for you guys,

I've kind of thralled through these forums a small bit now just to get my bearings to see where the action is and I couldn't help but notice that this forum has a lot of activity regarding modding and enhancing megadrives/genesis'.

I've actually got a fairly extensive md collection which I've been accumulating for about 3 years now, but I'm only beginning to get exposed to md enhancing now.

I've tried looking for places on the net that would give me some info, but all to no avail really.

Thats when i found you guys evil dragon and joe redifer (something like that) to name but a few.

So to my question, to a complete layman who is very eager to enhance the performance of his megadrive (europe obv.) could ye give me any tips, without going way over my head?

It would be greatly appreciated.

When you mention performance, do you mean like an add-on, or something like overclocking?

An add-on would be something like the Sega CD, and the 32X.. Where an overclock, makes the CPU run faster than it was intended, gaining some increase in speed for games that may slow down a little (For example, Sonic 2, 2-player mode, if one of the characters lose many rings, the whole game slows down big time)

Definitely, things like that, which would really help. Also I've heard things like stereo sound and colour boosters, if I'm talking rubbish you can tell me, but if its possible give me a few tips, if its not too much hassle of course.

I think its fair to say that if you've got a load of games, the best peripherals then its a crime not to have your md/genesis at the peak of its power also!

Once again thanks though.

well the Genesis already has stereo sound.. you just need the right cable (and if you have a model 1, you get stereo sound right from the headphone jack)..

if you mean color booster, like increasing the color palette and on-screen colors, that would be the Sega 32X.. but that only works for games programmed for the 32X..

oh, sorry man I didn't realise man, I've heard of people how have done all kinds of soldering and additions to boost colour and speed, I must have been mislead.

yea, you can't boost color, if the color was never there in the first place speed increase you can do.. Genesis overclocking..

hmmmmmmm, overclocking you say, doesn't sound like its too healthy for the machine, but if it does prevent slow down which is a disaster, although its fairly uncommon in any of the games i play.

I'll bet its really complicated, in which i should probably spare you the trouble of explaining the whole thing to me, but if its easy sure send a line my way and I'd be delighted to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by megabomberman
    hmmmmmmm, overclocking you say, doesn't sound like its too healthy for the machine, but if it does prevent slow down which is a disaster, although its fairly uncommon in any of the games i play.

I'll bet its really complicated, in which i should probably spare you the trouble of explaining the whole thing to me, but if its easy sure send a line my way and I'd be delighted to learn.
    the CPUs can handle a major overclock.. I reccomend 9 to 10MHz, the most stable (with sound)... any higher, and you'll have to put switches on the console, to boot at normal speed, halt the CPU, then overclock, otherwise you'll lack sound..

http://epicgaming.us/?p=4

if i had a 9MHz oscillator, i'd do this mod... (that is, if I had a Genesis that could handle it)

wow thats great, seems tough enough to a complete novice, but its a start i have 3 megadrives so i should begin ripping one of them open as soon as those exams finish.

Thanks for the starter anytime I ever stumbled accross any guides they were terrible compared to that, so once again thanks.

If the things falling a part i might need someone who has an idea what they're doing, just aswell theres and tech aid board on this forum.

Thanks again for the tips mate. Will follow it up.

More human than human Nameless One system's Avatar

My Sega CD occasionally makes this clicking noise while changing tracks. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but seeing as I'm pretty confident it shouldn't be making it I figured I'd ask if anyone would know why this is?

the clicking is normal, i've seen, on Model 2 Sega CDs.. it's just the lens focusing coil kicking in, after the laser has been idle for a bit..

Ultimate Mega drive! Sports Talker oshvision's Avatar

Default Best way to get stereo sound from your mega drive combo

Hi there all

Im a new member but I managed to get the best way to setup your systems to get the best video and stereo sound!!!

I was looking on the forum and I thought about what you can do, so here it is:

Ive tested the setup on my own tv and it works,
    In order ro achive this setup would will need some stackable phono leads, a mixing cable double ended 3.5mm jacks, and a modified Composite video lead, with some small 2.5mm stranded wire (rapid electronics), a croc-clip and black electrical tape to hold the composite and ground wires in place.

The setup im using at the moment as i dont have a mixing cable is this:

Both will work, although on the mixing cable setup before, the sound will be REALY LOUD whereas you will have more control over the sound with the alternative setup therefore the sound will be low.
    Last edited by oshvision; 05-13-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Ultimate Mega drive! Sports Talker oshvision's Avatar

Sega CD on Mega CD

Hi there

I have another query, can you run a Sega CD game on a Mega CD without moding the system or using a boot cartidge, can you (for example) copy the ISO onto the computer using Nero or other programs and alter it to run on the Mega CD, as I have 1 Sega CD game i wish to transfer?

Thread Information