Quantcast

Page 44 of 145 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Yes, the lid and everything is intact, and everything fits under it. I have no cuts or anything whatsoever done to it, and will not do so.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

my problem

i picked up a genny 2 scart cable from ncsx

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/NCS-RGB05.html

and i picked up a scart -> component adapter off of an ebay dealer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...l%3FMyEbayBetalink

i finally got everything friday and saturday and was anxious to see the genesis reach the peak of its visual power...

but i am getting some annoying results

the first system i try is my cdx, with it i am getting severe bleeding with any objects that are pure white, they appear pink. everything else looks fantastic.

i try my nomad next, and with it i get a strange washout of color. when i popped in sonic, the light blue oval that appears next to the level introduction zone name is void of most color.

my genesis 1 (model without the license boot screen) screen and genesis 2 have the same pink problem as the cdx, but maybe not as pronounced.

because of the different results, i figured it was a system problem rather than a cable or adapter problem, and this was confirmed when i tried out the new cables on my master system and neo geo (my model 1 -> model 2 adapter cable that came with my 32x finally came in handy). it was particularly heartbreaking with the master system, as there was gorgeous video but there was no way for me to get any sound. my neo never looked better.

after doing a little digging, i come across this site

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/shop/m.../megadrive.htm

Built-in brightness constraint. Some other cables on the market don't have this, leading to colours being too bright and colour bleeding.

has anyone else had this kindof problem? are there any solutions other than trying a different cable?

Banned by Administrators

Played Streets of Rage 2 on Megadrive 2 today. The game then froze after a while. Seemed to be when there was too many on the screen at once.

Would it be a game or system problem?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I guess it's your game's contacts that are dirty. Try to clean them with some cloth.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    after doing a little digging, i come across this site

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/shop/m.../megadrive.htm

Built-in brightness constraint. Some other cables on the market don't have this, leading to colours being too bright and colour bleeding.

has anyone else had this kindof problem? are there any solutions other than trying a different cable?
    Not that I am aware of. It should be worth a try, seeing as you got SMS and your AES to work.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Some devices don't like offspecs signals, and that is the case with MD when you don't have these "brighntness constraints" in the cable. You need 3x 56...75ohm resistors to get image at correct brightness.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Some devices don't like offspecs signals, and that is the case with MD when you don't have these "brighntness constraints" in the cable. You need 3x 56...75ohm resistors to get image at correct brightness.
    break this down a bit for me, im not an electonics wonk. im guessing i would need to install the resistors in the console? a new cable may be a better investment considering my limited skills with a soldering iron. its also not a loss as my scart current cable isn't completely useless.

there's 3 signals, that carry red, green and blue in the cable. You have to cut them, and put a 56ohm resistor between the 2 ends, then the brightness is corrected and things should be fine.

Sega through and through Nameless One midnightresistance's Avatar

SORRY to break topic for a moment but i need help with a switch for modding.

i really dont want a crappy little flick switch or dull slide switch,
    i really quite fancy a nice illuminated rocker type switch and need some ideas as to which i can use.

any suggestions,preferably within the u.k or ebay??

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Default MD1 Problem

Hey all

as i have posated before, i got a MD1 for real cheap recently, but cant seem to get it working

it only came as the console and 2 controllers, so i recently picked up an official power adapter and i had a spare rf cable lying around that works fine with my NES, so i figured it would work

its still not working though, its just not loading the games, and i know they are clean as i has them properly cleaned, nd they worked fine on the MD they tested it on...

i have uploaded a vid to youtube of what happens nd i hope someone can help me get this MD woking

thanks very much

video link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jQFF4iD9As8

thanks for the help

Ok give this a go. Take the console apart, get an OLD toothbrush grab some methylated spirits. Turn the board upside down, grab the toothbrush dunk it into the methylated spirits and give the cart connector a good clean. When you come to the end flick/roll the toothbrush to get any crap (dust hair etc) out of there. I have done this to HEAPS of consoles (SMS, Mega Drive, NES, SNES and N64's) that have this issue with NO problems!

It MAY not be the problem, but with out trying you won't know.

If memory serves you initially had the S/NES power supply hooked up to this? If you have access to a multi-meter check that you still have 5v out at the 2 voltage regulators.

Also if you are stll using RF (I see your TV is on channel 10), give an AV cable a go. As I have said earlier I have come across a few consoles now (esp. SMS's and MD1's) that no longer "RF". An AV cable is fairly easy to make, if you can't find one.

Hello!

I'm planning on building my own AV cable for my model 1 mega drive.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/se...ereo-scart.htm

What I'm not sure about is the resistors. He only says 100 and 75 ohm. I couldnt find a 75 ohm but I did find 68 and 80 ohm, will one of those work? And what about the watt? I found 0.5 - 2 Watts, what should i use?

And am i making a mistake if i install 50/60hz and pal/ntsc switches into my model 1 mega drive? Its the one with the "high def graphics - stereo sound" logo. Is it like totally sacking the value for it?

The watts can be anything... the less the better (smaller resistor). a 68ohm resistor is more preferable than 80ohm one, as higher value will mean darker picture.
    Putting region switches is not a mistake, well, only when you do it in an ugly manner

I have a problem with my CDX Unit the carts boot but the cd screen does not come up

I just finished with my AV cable, and god damn, the difference is huge! I dont know if its just placebo or not, but it was well worth an hour. With the RFcable the screen was really blurry, the colors were dull and the screen shook abit up and down. But the AV cable is awesome.

I used a stantard networkcable, would a shielded cable improv it even more?

And btw, I bought a Pro action replay, will that allow me to play asian games (with the regionswitch ofc) without widening the cartridge slot?

Thread Information