Quantcast

Thread: Bram Stoker's Dracula (Sega CD)

Whoa Bram Stoker's Dracula (Sega CD)

1993 saw the release of Francis Ford Coppola's version of the horror classic Bram Stoker's Dracula. The film tried to remain faithful to the novel while injecting a more modernized interpretation of everyone's favorite vampire. Such a concept sounds like it would make for a great video game, right? Well, it did, and that's why we have the Castlevania series. Unfortunately, Sony Imagesoft decided to license the film for a game released for several platforms, including the Sega CD. The latter included FMV cut scenes and cool-looking rendered backgrounds but not much else of note. In fact, that's about as good as it got. Read our full review, and be sure to bring a stake with you; ol' Drac's about had it with this one.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-16-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Nice review. I'll buy Castlevania Bloodlines instead .

Seems like most good Sega CD games are reviewed now. I mean, it's been some time since there was a good game, hasn't it?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Death Adder's minion

Ooooh man. Dracula. It looked so cool in the mags. Then I rented it and I had renter's remorse. Later I read that certain versions had a bug where the game would essentially lock up at a boss character (which I can't recall, could even be the times Dracula appears further in the game). And the video...it looked bad even THEN.

thankfully, it never locked up on me. It wouldn't shock me if it did though, and in some ways I would have been grateful to stop playing haha. Anyone beat this game without using any codes???

I couldn't pass stage 2. Not even Dracula's hypnotism could keep me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshim
    Ooooh man. Dracula. It looked so cool in the mags. Then I rented it and I had renter's remorse. Later I read that certain versions had a bug where the game would essentially lock up at a boss character (which I can't recall, could even be the times Dracula appears further in the game). And the video...it looked bad even THEN.
    may be thats why they had version 2 printed on the cd of the 2 copys i had of Bram Stoker's Dracula

i allway wanted to know why it sed version 2 on the cd

I've always hated this game. The gameplay sucks. The control sucks. You fight rats. The clips from the movie are only a quarter screen in resolution (128x112) but scaled up to full screen (256x224 for this game) so they look extremely blocky. Ug.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

The SMS version of Dracula was the best.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Nameless One

How was Dracula for Megadrive/Genesis?, I just catched it for a low price so I wonder if its any good at all...

Edit* Never mind, I just found out that it was pretty bad...

I made a deal, Got 13 games for £34.5 or 67$ USD (including shipping and extra costs due to later payment.)

Genesis:

Fatal Rewind
    Chuck Rock II - Son of Chuck
    Cyberball
    Marble Madness
    Bram Stokers Dracula

Mastersystem:

Xenon 2
    Tom And Jerry - The movie
    Jungle Book
    Spider Man
    Super Monaco Gp
    Hang on (in poor condition, someone typed on the cartridge?!?!? and no box..)
    Desert Speedtrap (no box or so)

Snes:

Desert Strike - Return To The Gulf (No box)

I guess some would claim it's a bad deal, but I think it's fair... sure you might have cheaper deals in Uk or US but here in sweden games are more expensive used I believe? (I didn't know the condition until I checked them, because they don't take pictures of the games...)
    Last edited by kinkyfriend85; 03-20-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I remember there was some FPS based on the movie for the PC and it was actually OK. I think they should have just ported that over to the Sega CD then - the game ran in a letter box anyway on the PC. This was in 1993, and it was much more simple than DooM was.

I really don't recall it being good or bad, but I atleast hope it was OK at best. The PC version that is. The opening song on the SNES version is better than the whole game itself. How I stumbled upon the game, is beyond me, but it's fine by me.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by David J.
    I remember there was some FPS based on the movie for the PC and it was actually OK. I think they should have just ported that over to the Sega CD then - the game ran in a letter box anyway on the PC. This was in 1993, and it was much more simple than DooM was.

I really don't recall it being good or bad, but I atleast hope it was OK at best. The PC version that is. The opening song on the SNES version is better than the whole game itself. How I stumbled upon the game, is beyond me, but it's fine by me.

Here's your FPS:
    http://www.juegomania.org/pc/4106

Doom was more of a 1994's game though (considering that it was released on "Doomsday" which was set to be on 10 dec 1993, Doomsday is the day the dooming became a reality. I'm a Doomer )

OFFTOPIC
    Sure looks simplier but is probably inbetween Doom and Wolfenstein.
    Some of the best looking shooter of the early days must be;

Release Date: March 1992 for US
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ul...meShotId,7131/
    Definitely sports some great graphics.. But don't care about the images cause they seem to be in gifs so it doesn't look exactly like it does..
    Here's the second game in the series that came out 1993 in January, US that is.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ul...ds/screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe
    Nice review. I'll buy Castlevania Bloodlines instead .

Seems like most good Sega CD games are reviewed now. I mean, it's been some time since there was a good game, hasn't it?
    well these games have yet to be reviewed
    Samurai Shodown
    Batman Returns
    WONDER DOG
    Heart of the Alien
    FlashBack
    Ecco the Tides of Time
    any game gooddealgames has put out

Thread Information