Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtua Racing

Default Virtua Racing

When it was first released in 1994, Virtua Racing wowed gamers with its incredible use of polygons and its $100 price tag. The exorbitant cost (the highest for the time) was due to it being the one and only game to ever make use of the powerful Sega Virtual Processor, or SVP chip. Until the 32X got a port a year later, this was the only way to play the arcade hit at home, and it was darn close to having a real Model 1 arcade board. It may be outdated now, but Virtua Racing's place in Genesis history is assured. Read our full review and see why this one is still worth tracking down.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-22-2011 at 06:07 PM.

As impressive as the DSP chip and Virtua Racing should be, I've always thought that the existence of F-22 Interceptor, Road Rash, and the excellent (albeit 32-bit addon) version on the 32-X really diminish the achievement. I used to love Virtua Racing, but unfortunately, I think I'm a bit of a graphics whore when it comes to dated polygon titles, and I just don't see the point of playing it when I could be playing Test Drive Le Mans and other excellent modern racers.

This is a great game to have for about $5 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by The Review
    the polygons are incredibly choppy.
    Actually they're pretty damn smooth, moving anywhere between 24 and 30fps which was incredible back in 1940 when this game was released. Unfortunately it seems that the polygons themselves are limited to only 16 colors or so. The color seems much lower than most Genesis games.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

the only thing i couldn't stand about this game, was the fact that when in the car, you really had a hard time seeing ahead..

not to mention, as my step brother says, the cars sound like vacuum cleaners..

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

The game was even a bit more expensive here. It cost 199,-DM, roughly 99,-€.
    At first, Sega even announced to charge 279,-DM for it, that would have been more than the price for the console.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Strange, I didn't notice the word "tosh" anywhere in that review.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

The frame rate isn't bad at all, in my opinion. As has already been stated, it moves at very close to 24fps, which certainly isn't too bad when you consider just how old this game is. I must say that Star Fox has aged much better, though.
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

First Person Shooter Wildside Expert metalliqaz's Avatar

Hey great review! Where did you get the shots from? I never did get around to hooking mine up to that video capture card...

Did any of the SNES games with extra chips in them cost that much back then?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

you know, since I got a 32X (with Virtua Racing) I never played the Genesis version again... it didn't work with the 32X and it was such a chore to unplug and plug the thing in. And yeah, it was expensive... I used to joke: I paid for any polygon in it!

Nameless One

here's some interesting piece of what mobygames says about the chip

"
    Trivia
    This game caused a quite intresting problem for owners of phones. The SVP chip had a frequency that was so high it was picked up by the phones and they rang like crazy. It was enough to sure cause headaches!"

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kinkyfriend85
    here's some interesting piece of what mobygames says about the chip

"
    Trivia
    This game caused a quite intresting problem for owners of phones. The SVP chip had a frequency that was so high it was picked up by the phones and they rang like crazy. It was enough to sure cause headaches!"
    I forgot about that, it is a true thing, but it makes no sense because it uses the crystal oscillator from the Genesis...

Back in the days, when we had a "cordless phone", big white brick that had this long telescopic antenna, and it would ring everytime this game was started, but only when the game started...

metalliqaz, I provided the screenshots, though I did not convert them to GIF. I think I either provided them in PNG or JPG. PNG kicks everyone's ass!

Raging in the Streets

Ever noticed how, in the second track (the bridge level), there's an area that's accessible in the 32X version that isn't in the Mega Drive version?

When you take a medium right, then go under the bridge and take an easy left which brings you onto the bridge for the checkpoint - the area of track to your left is barriered off, forcing you to use the road. In the 32X version, you can go straight through these barriers, and follow the shape of the road like usual with the concrete wall on your right.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

I find it funny that the most expensive MD-game ever now is one of the cheapest you can get.

Thread Information