Quantcast

Thread: Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

Default Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

Think of furry mascots that didn't make it, and the first one to come to mind is usually Bubsy the Bobcat. Accolade's famous feline gave it the ol' college try, but he too was left in Sonic's dust. Never achieving the success of his blue rival, Bubsy still managed to muster enough energy for two sequels, each less successful than the original game. Sega-16 takes a look at Bubsy's origin with a full review of Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind. Read it and weep folks.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-18-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

I seem to recall many reviews back in the day comparing Bubsy to Sonic and it often scoring high ratings. I believe I have this somewhere in my collection, however, after reading the review I am in even less of a rush to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

I think he says "What could possibly go wrong?" or maybe "Watch your pockets or you'll go wrong!" .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

At least he wasn't "Awesome Possum".

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

Bahh, the Bobcat's first outing was solid. Frequent cheap killings from unpredictable enemy and obstacle placement aside, it was a childhood favourite. I enjoy the wacky control and sprawling stages.

...and Melf, ol' Bubsy had a total of three sequels. Don't forget this abortion:

Interesting anecdote about the Genesis version from Al Baker & Associates:
    http://www.abaker.com/bubsy.htm

The original Super NES version was by Solid Software, who went on to do Mohawk & Headphone Jack.

one of the worst platformers ever made w/ Fugly graphics, horrible controls & theme

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    one of the worst platformers ever made w/ Fugly graphics, horrible controls & theme

Personally i liked it, it was a happy looking platformer with a fun theme,
    controls were not that good though.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

This game does suck, mostly due to Bubsy and his yarn, but I see no Sonic imitation in it. Game characters were almost always supposed to be cool (unless they're Flicky or Flink), so I wouldn't call Bubsy any more of a Sonic ripoff than Chip and Dale. The game's much closer to Zool--the NTSC version of course. Despite the game's European feel the graphics suggest it was meant to be viewed through RF. The stage design's an asset, everything else a failure to some degree. It has some real mystery deaths too: I experienced a time-out death without warning (clock, audio countdown, anything) in a secret area. All right. Still I think the reviewer ought to have mentioned how ample 1UPs are: expect to find at least two a stage.

I fell into the 'Tude trap and got this game without even renting it beforehand. At the time I was a kid and just passed by its shortcomings, but this game is quite awful.
    I mean, graphically is nice, the death animations are funny, music is passable… But when it comes to playability, it's awful and unforgiving: cheap deaths, falls, leaps of faith, excessive speed, scrolling I can only describe as "tight"... But at the end we got lucky: my bro lent the game to a friend of his and then she moved. With all the moving, she liked the game enough to ask him to TRADE Bubsy for the game she lent him. At the time, we already got a PSX and the MD got a bit discarded. So, we said yes. She got Bubsy, we got Sonic 2. Still have it: Best exchange ever!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    I fell into the 'Tude trap and got this game without even renting it beforehand. At the time I was a kid and just passed by its shortcomings, but this game is quite awful.
    I mean, graphically is nice, the death animations are funny, music is passable… But when it comes to playability, it's awful and unforgiving: cheap deaths, falls, leaps of faith, excessive speed, scrolling I can only describe as "tight"... But at the end we got lucky: my bro lent the game to a friend of his and then she moved. With all the moving, she liked the game enough to ask him to TRADE Bubsy for the game she lent him. At the time, we already got a PSX and the MD got a bit discarded. So, we said yes. She got Bubsy, we got Sonic 2. Still have it: Best exchange ever!
    but I like it all the same, it has a certain charm

Thread Information