Quantcast

Thread: Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

Default Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

With all the later, more advanced offerings by Sega and Electronic Arts, most people tend to forget the early sports games released on the Genesis. Some of them are rightly forgotten, but others such as Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf, still hold up pretty well. Granted, you're not going to get the full PGA experience, but it's still a fun way to spend an afternoon. Read our full review and see why this is one worth your time.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-14-2011 at 10:43 PM.

I love this game. The Fantasy Zone mini game is almost as good as Super Fantasy Zone!!!

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Arnold Palmer. Never played his game, but the man makes a hell of a lemonade/tea thing.

this was the first golf game I have played.
    just a little bit, since I'm not a golf fan on the videogames! (only exception for the Wii golf games)

but yes, is an average good game!

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash1087
    Arnold Palmer. Never played his game, but the man makes a hell of a lemonade/tea thing.
    Arnold Palmer makes you cups of lemonade/tea? That's ironic because Tiger Woods irons my shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash1087
    Pisses me off. At the store I work at, we NEVER sell any of his product. If we can even put one on the shelf... then my work is done. Anyway, this is a really fun game.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Pretty good for a sports game w/ good graphics and arcade style gameplay

i like the cheesy, yet upbeat music. it helps keep up the games pace.

and in 1989, the size of the golfer sprite was huge! that is why the genesis oozed 16 bit ZOMGness

I love golf games, and this one is no exception. Great game.

Chris

I really like this one too, Ken was a bit harsh with his review. It has some nice graphics, nice music and nice arcade style game play. Sure it has its limitations but they can be forgiven.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Not impressed with the Arnold Palmer game,having to press the button to remove wind indicator and then again for stance before each shot gets annoying,PGA Tour Golf plays much better and has the easiest and most practical control method on any golf game i have ever played,even arcade golf games.

Anyone know why there is an umbrella in Arnold Palmer's signature?

There are two releases of Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf for Sega Genesis in the US. The original classic, and the classic original classic... I mean Sega Classic. There are indeed differences, but they are small.

I had a heck of a time trying to get the boxed original game for some reason. It seems that the Sega Classic one is easier to find, at least not being all chewed up. I had even made a purchase of the original on Ebay, apparently it was a stock photo and ended up with the Classic anyways!
    But now I have them both and here they are:

Not much to say, but at least (apparently) there is no ESRB version of the Sega Classic, at least as I have seen. Here is the backs.

The cartridges are the same, at least the label, between the two. They are the type to have the gray line between the top part of the label and the art, and the gray line between the art and the bottom portion.

For these two that I have, we already know that it cannot be trusted 100% that each cart is in the correct box. Either way, I can say there are two carts that I have found, they are both Sega/Made in Japan stamps. But on the back one has the divided text and one does not.

And I show here the insides. I am unsure if the Sega Classic has the correct shell on it or not. As you can see, it is the large square holder.

Without the cart, you can see it has the Acclaim stamp. So it may not be the correct shell, or who knows. I figured I would show it anyways and you can be the judge.

And last is the manuals. There is no difference in the text that I can tell, but there is a definately difference in the paper quality. Also, the one from Sega Classic (shown on the right) is either slightly faded looking or the original is just brighter. The backs compare the same as well, but the insides are mostly white and look the same to be except for the paper quality. The original manual is the better of the two.

And that's it, an easy comparison to make for the review thread.
    Here is the Album link:
    https://imgur.com/a/VWLHPWi
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Anyone know why there is an umbrella in Arnold Palmer's signature?
    Read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    There are two releases of Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf for Sega Genesis in the US.
    There is a third variant with "For use with the Sega Genesis System only" on the back of the cartridge. See here.
    Last edited by chessage; 05-18-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I used to confuse him and Robert all the time.

*pictures hitting a golf ball with a mic stand, while a 16-bit chip tune rendition of Bad Case of Loving You plays in the background, and he and 3 women holding guitars sway back and forth before hitting the ball...*
    ^That'd probably be the pinnacle of romhacking

Thread Information