Quantcast

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 3D on the Sega Genesis is possible

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

That's some impressive stuff there! If you were using the sega cds CPU would there be any improvement?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

The Sega CD sub CPU would improve the framerate by about 5 FPS all around, as indicated by the overclock video posted earlier. Including the Graphics Coprocessor would change the entire picture, including the Genesis and Sega CD CPUs and the Graphics Coprocessor changes it even more.

What I am wondering about is whether the SNES was rendering the back sides of the buildings and larger objects in Starfox, or just the fronts. I'm guessing these systems definitely weren't powerful enough to do backside culling or Z-buffering, but the models themselves could only be three sided instead of four and that would save performance right?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I guess the impact of the Sega CD sub CPU depends a lot depending the scene load.
    About Starfox on SNES, it does not render the back sided polygons, computing culling is *far* faster than rendering a complete polygon
    Also they use a smart BSP tree structure for convex 3D objects to quickly compute the order in which you have to render polygon, they just have to sort convex objects on Z then use the BSP tree structure to find which polygon to render first and which one to render in last. Actually i reproduced this structure in my small 3D starfox demo but i'm not sure that i correctly used the structure to take all benefit from it (the way i am doing object traversal is probably not optimal).

Thread Information