Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pit-Fighter

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Russman made good valid points and it is true that quite a bit of people did actually play this game in the arcades back then. I wasn't one of them (fortunately)since I was more into playing shooters, Double Dragon, Shinobi, ... basically anything that wasn't using goofy digitized actors hopping around like fools. I will admit to playing it once at my friend's house and I was impressed with how well it got ported to the Genesis. The graphics have been scaled down considerably.
    Last edited by GameUser-16-32-128; 01-10-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Default Addicting

I don't agree with the hatred most of you expressed against this game. You need strategy to progress through the battles not just button pushing. The way weapons are thrown randomly into the arena and you can use them against your opponents is great. Also, I don't see why someone would consider Mortal Combat graphics to be great while Pit-Fighter's graphics to be a joke. I partly agree with the view that this game feels a bit like a joke but I also consider it absolutely addicting.
    All your base are belong to us

Wildside Expert

Pit Fighter was an awesome arcade game, especially with 3-player support. The only problem is that it never had a decent console port...at least until arcade treasures 2 came out. Even that port is riddled with sound and animation bugs, though it is the closest one to the arcade.

The snes port was especially disappointing. It's not that the snes couldn't handle the game. When you see the wonders that snes worked with porting games like mk2, super sf2, and killer instinct, it's quite obvious they could have done a much better job with pit fighter. The snes version is just a lazy, sloppy port, it looks like it was completed start to finish in a couple hours. Seriously, they used a hard counter for life points and didn't even put a life bar in, talk about lazy. Not to mention the fact that the computer is so cheap that you basically need to cheat using an emulator to beat the game...the ending you get after enduring all that crap is definitely NOT worth it.

The Genesis port, while not great, plays slightly better than the snes version.

I loved the game its the best conversion ever and i even rather it to the real arcade to be honest. I remember having loads of fun and partys with my m8's.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by morcar View Post
    I loved the game its the best conversion ever and i even rather it to the real arcade to be honest.
    I have nothing to add, because this says it so perfectly!

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

The arcade version of Pit-Fighter is still one of my favourite arcade games of all time and I still remember beating it in front of an arcade full of amazed people on holiday all those years ago. The Megadrive version is excellent, while the graphics are not as big and lack the scaling & zooming effects its an extremely good conversion. The only other home version which isn't crap is the Atari Lynx version, which does have the scaling & zooming but is sadly missing the speech. Still one of my favourite MD games to this day and still play it often.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Blast Processed! Outrunner MIZPHIT's Avatar

The only knock I have on this game is the fugly digitized graphics. The gameplay, although not deep, is damn close to the arcade version and this version is superior to the THQ SNES version in every way. I'd give it a 6.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I played the original Pit Fighter in the arcades and beat it. For it's time it had really big digitized sprites and was just awesome for it's time. I have really tried to play it on the Genesis and like it, but it's just so bland ..... everything about it is so awful. Its even more pathetic when you realize this 8meg game fit in the same ROM size as the original Mortal Kombat which was a FAR better port so you can't even say the developer's didn't have enough room..... I think someone needs to look up developers Lee Actor & Dennis Koble who brought this game upon us, and ask them why production of this game was so lousy, and might as well try to get an interview with sound engineer Earl Vickers and find out just in how many minutes did he spend on the sound engine....
    to be fair though lee actor and dennis koble did program the brilliant pga tour golf so we will let them off

Road Rasher

and also funnily enough I played this yesterday and it is great that you can fight the crowd in this

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I played the original Pit Fighter in the arcades and beat it. For it's time it had really big digitized sprites and was just awesome for it's time. I have really tried to play it on the Genesis and like it, but it's just so bland ..... everything about it is so awful. Its even more pathetic when you realize this 8meg game fit in the same ROM size as the original Mortal Kombat which was a FAR better port so you can't even say the developer's didn't have enough room..... I think someone needs to look up developers Lee Actor & Dennis Koble who brought this game upon us, and ask them why production of this game was so lousy, and might as well try to get an interview with sound engineer Earl Vickers and find out just in how many minutes did he spend on the sound engine....
    MK had 16 megs not 8.

This game was the shit back in the day. And I remember when my friend first got his Genesis in late 91 and he had gotten SoR instead of Pit-Fighter and I had asked him why and he was like Pit-Fighter was sold out. Looking back im glad it was.

Banned by Administrators

still fun to this day

Hero of Algol

This game would be much better with some hacking in the same vein of MK II Unlimited. Some redraw to the backgrounds would be great too...

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I would love to see what the community could do with this game. I absolutely love Pit fighter, just a pass on colors and BGs would do wonders for this game.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Oh man... So I found an extra copy of the this game loose at a used bookstore by my boxing gym in Phoenix, AZ. Holy guacamole. I love this game. Seriously, there's so much crap you can do when you know how to play the game. All the crazy moves and techniques started coming back. Pre-Street Fighter II beat-em-up/arena brawler fighting game silliness. Next time you play, remember that you can dash cancel anything. Game gets sooooo silly. Too much fun...

This game is easily one of my favorite games on the Genesis. There. I said it.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I think a lot of people probably enjoyed this game more than they'd like to admit BITD, I know I did.

There wasn't really a comparable experience on the MD at the time, and since we were practically drowning in shooters this made for a nice change. The port must have done OK since there were plans for a console exclusive sequel - either Gamepro or EGM showed a couple of screens, but it never happened in the end.

Makes you wonder how they were planning on upgrading the game; after all adding new characters would have meant digitizing more sprites, something I would have thought would have been out of the scope (and budget) of this potential release.

Anyway, great port of the original arcade, most if not all of the sounds are there, just the scaling went missing is all.

Thread Information