Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pit-Fighter

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Yeah, in hindsight, the game is thematically brilliant. I've always loved how well it captures that 90's era underground fighting look, it's really a fun theme, and I think Atari handled it well.

The game really is pretty great as far as expression goes. All the stuff I mention is really easy to do, and makes the game much funner. I might make a little advanced play FAQ to cover all the nuances of the game. It's a rewarding game to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Yeah, in hindsight, the game is thematically brilliant. I've always loved how well it captures that 90's era underground fighting look, it's really a fun theme, and I think Atari handled it well.

The game really is pretty great as far as expression goes. All the stuff I mention is really easy to do, and makes the game much funner. I might make a little advanced play FAQ to cover all the nuances of the game. It's a rewarding game to explore.
    Interesting to read all of this...because to me the only thing Pit-Fighter is good for is for using the PCB from it as a donor for failed Tengen boards. Restored 1 Grind Stormer, 3 Gauntlet IVs, and 2 Dragon's Revenge carts using Pit-fighter and Batman Forever PCBs...hehe.

Sorry I've no love for Pit-Fighter, arcade version or otherwise and not really into fighters in general.

Yeah, don't use pit-fighter for that. Hahahah. My heart just broke. From what I've learned, use donor boards that are NOT tengen boards. Heavy Nova for Grind Stormer, etc. There's a chart for this kinda stuff.

I own 4 copies of Pit-Fighter. None of them have failed yet, so that is good... If I see a complete PF for good price, I generally buy it. It's kinda a thing. hahahah.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Heh, Pit Fighter is one of only two Genesis games I've ever gotten that have been stone dead (Comix Zone was the other, and that cart was physically damaged anyway). I still have the PCB, if anyone really wants it, though it may well be the PCB that's bad while the ROM chip is fine!

SEGA-Jorge, I appreciate your inquiries into this game. It's so nice when people have a deep understanding of a game, rather than just playing it for five minutes and then making a ten-minute YouTube video about why it's crap, the world's worst game, etc.

Outrunner

I was shocked at how playable the boss characters were using PAR/GG codes. Most fighters tend to completely shit the bed when you try that (SNES SFII and MD MKII prime examples) but these seem implemented to the point you'd think the developers dropped it at the last minute.

I've got a lot of love for this port of Pit Fighter as well, and I would have loved to have seen a finished version of their Pit Fighter 2 using the Guardians of the Hood characters.

Yeah, don't use pit-fighter for that. Hahahah. My heart just broke. From what I've learned, use donor boards that are NOT tengen boards. Heavy Nova for Grind Stormer, etc. There's a chart for this kinda stuff.

I own 4 copies of Pit-Fighter. None of them have failed yet, so that is good... If I see a complete PF for good price, I generally buy it. It's kinda a thing. hahahah.
    Um...all the Pit-Fighter carts I've used did NOT contain Tengen PCBs in them. That is why they are such good donors. They are Tengen made and produced yes, but the actual PCB in the Pit-Fighters I've taken apart were in fact Sega branded and made PCBs. So..that is why I grab and keep a few Pit-Fighter carts on hand. No idea why Pit-Fighter doesn't contain a Tengen PCB but there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Um...all the Pit-Fighter carts I've used did NOT contain Tengen PCBs in them. That is why they are such good donors. They are Tengen made and produced yes, but the actual PCB in the Pit-Fighters I've taken apart were in fact Sega branded and made PCBs. So..that is why I grab and keep a few Pit-Fighter carts on hand. No idea why Pit-Fighter doesn't contain a Tengen PCB but there you have it.
    Because they wanted it to last. They knew they had a gem on their hands...

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Nice to read these posts about how deep the game is. I didn't expect it to be so deep. It's been a few years but I enjoyed fighting through Pit-Fighter. I like how the power-ups are actual drugs that people throw onto the floor lol.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Nice to read these posts about how deep the game is. I didn't expect it to be so deep. It's been a few years but I enjoyed fighting through Pit-Fighter. I like how the power-ups are actual drugs that people throw onto the floor lol.
    lol yeah just grab some dirty amphetamine loaded super steroid pill that some random tramp throws on the floor, get all 'roid raged up and then flex those muscles and go to frigging town on your opponent! "The best!"

Wildside Expert

I too have to admit I have a soft spot for this game.

Here's my formula for enhancing the gameplay: get yourself a powerplug from Tyco and a six-button controller for the Megadrive. Plug the two together and program the controls like this

Pro Thrash
    X button for A+B
    Y button for A+C
    Z button for A+B+C

Turbo
    A button
    B button

And now you can have a killer Ty character good for bashing with little effort!

Interestingly, overclocking works with this game and does speed up a little (which also improves playability IMO) but induces graphical artifacts on the screen...

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

^ahaha, totally gonna overclock next time i play this!

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

If you do I'd like to read it. I just picked up a copy of the game, and I'm quite enjoying it. It's pretty hilarious, but my skills need honing if I want to stack that big money under that forklift. I was reading comments on youtube and people were saying you can do some pretty wild combos etc when you get good. Any tips or tricks you guys might know would be appreciated.

I've also been trying to research some game genie/PAR codes for the game (haven't tried any out yet but I probably will later tonight ). Here's what I have so far: ADRA-2ABE (Can pick bosses), ADRT-2PMC (play as alternate Buzz), CPLT-2TNW (opponents will taunt excessively after knocking you down), PWFT-2CEE (attacking enemies while they are down drains more of their energy and it sends them flying to the edge of the screen), JWKA-2NF8 (opponents energy is not displayed, AVZA-2A2R (infinity lives), ALBA-2A9R (power pill lasts till death or end of round), ADRT-2AFC (cpu goes through characters randomly ). Any other worthwhile codes that I'm missing?

Anyway great game, surprisingly deep, horrifically bad graphics (I actually like digitized graphics but the backgrounds in this game just look atrocious, but it grows on you ; ) but the leather clad gimp that taunts me between levels more than makes up for that. This turd has some redeeming qualities, would've been a great game for sega channel.

Thread Information