Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat Every 32X Game in 2014? - The Official Thread!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Default Can Sega-16 Beat Every 32X Game in 2014? - The Official Thread!

Time to move to the new thread for 2015!

Can Sega-16 Beat Every 32X Game in 2014?

Current status: 47.2% complete (17/36)

See also:
    Can Sega-16 Beat the "Other" 172 Genesis Games + the 65 PAL Games in 2014?
    Can Sega-16 Beat Every Sega CD Game in 2014? - The Official Thread!

RULES:

• We're beating all 36 officially-licensed games released in the US for the 32X, including the five CD 32X games.
    • We begin at midnight on January 1, 2014 in your local time zone, and end at 11:59 PM on December 31, 2014.
    • Victory conditions: the "default" is to beat each game on Normal/Medium or higher difficulty, and to do whatever's needed to get a good ending (it doesn't have to be the best ending, but can't be a bad ending). If the game allows you to change the starting number of lives or continues, you may, though default settings are slightly preferred.
    • We're using the honor system, but screenshots of the ending screens are strongly preferred. Best of all is to take a photograph, and put a piece of paper with your username in the shot.
    • No cheats, codes, or old passwords/savegame files from before January 1, 2014. Emulation is OK but no savestates.
    • No claims or "reserving" games -- first come, first serve, and anyone can beat any game at any time. But if you're working on a long game, let us know and we'll try not to step on each other's toes.
    • If someone else has beaten the game you wanted, you're welcome to beat it too, and we'll make a note of it. You're especially encouraged to beat it on a higher difficulty, get the best ending, use a different character or a different scenario, 1CC/1LC the game, etc.
    • If you don't know what it takes to beat a particular game, ask, but we may not know the answer for all games. You don't have to beat fighting games with every character. If a game should have special conditions, let us know.
    • Any registered member of Sega-16 can participate. Members with fewer than 10 posts are strongly encouraged to include screenshots of ending screens.
    • As a bonus, we'll include the three non-US releases in a separate event. One (FIFA '96) should be beatable, but one is in Japanese and one (DarXide) may be impossible for mortals to defeat.
    • Everyone is encouraged to write a little something about each game. Tell us how to beat it, tell us what you like or don't like about it, tell us something you discovered that no one else on the Internet has written about. Make this thread fun to read, and a helpful document for future generations!

THE GAMES

Available:

BC Racers
    Blackthorne
    Brutal: Above the Claw
    Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples*
    Metal Head
    NBA Jam Tournament Edition*
    NFL Quarterback Club*
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
    R.B.I. Baseball '95*
    Shadow Squadron
    Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator
    T-MEK
    Tempo
    Toughman Contest*
    Virtua Racing Deluxe
    World Series Baseball Starring Deion Sanders*

Night Trap (CD 32X)
    Slam City with Scottie Pippen (CD 32X)*
    Supreme Warrior (CD 32X)

Beaten:

1. Knuckles' Chaotix (tim333)
    2. Space Harrier (Zebbe)
    3. Virtua Fighter (Zebbe)
    4. Mortal Kombat II (CFFJR)
    5. Cosmic Carnage (CFFJR)
    6. Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 (The Coop)
    7. After Burner (The Coop)
    8. Primal Rage (dsheinem)
    9. Fahrenheit (goldenband)
    10. Kolibri (dsheinem)
    11. Motocross Championship (dsheinem)
    12. Doom (The Coop)
    13. WWF Raw (Aarzak)
    14. WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game (Aarzak)
    15. Spider-Man: Web of Fire (PimpUigi)
    16. Corpse Killer (PimpUigi)
    17. Star Wars Arcade (PimpUigi)

Bonus games:

DarXide (PAL exclusive)
    FIFA '96 (PAL exclusive)
    SanGoKuShi IV (JP exclusive)
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-01-2015 at 12:51 AM.

I call Knuckles Chaotix!

Outrunner

Better hurry, I've already done 23/25 acts.

Edit: Done. Got the good ending (such as it is). Screenshots forthcoming... later. I am tired.

Edit 2: Just so we're clear, the game I am talking about is Knuckles Chaotix and I started it before the above poster posted.
    Last edited by tim333; 01-01-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Nice, first one down!

Outrunner

Okay, as promised.

I think that Knuckles' Chaotix is underappreciated. At the same time, it may be overappreciated by those few who consider themselves "32X Fans." It's not a great game. Let's not compare it to the classic Sonic trilogy; I don't even think it's as good as Sonic CD. It's still a good game, though. Its strongest feature is its rich, illuminating art design, like this shot of Botanic Base:

It also has some nice, smooth tunes and some interesting level concepts (especially Amazing Arena). As for the Combi Ring system, you can do some interesting things with it. I see a lot of people just carrying their partner around the level, making the game into a less satisfying Sonic game, but I think it's more fun to play around. You can shoot forward at great speed by holding your partner back until the tether is taut, or if going up a wall, you can use momentum from the slingshot to move faster. If you time the B button right in midair, you can gain speed and fly around like a crazy boomerang. It's neat.

At the same time, while it was an interesting experiment, I think it was ultimately a failure because it can be quite awkward. It's something you have to pick up and get used to, and that is not what people were looking for. Of course, I loved this game as a kid, but then it was the only game I ever had for the 32X. If anybody ever made a hack of this with the Combi ring removed, I'd certainly be interested to play it.

I love how apathetic Knuckles looks here. It's like he's thinking, "That damn agent... I can't believe a major character like me has to slum it with this bunch of no-name losers. One thing's for sure, after this I am never going to be associated with these guys again. Except Espio, he's cool." I had to add that because Espio is THE BEST. He can run straight up walls and on ceilings!

"Check out my collection of exotic Froot Loops," I say. "Cooool," you intone. Because they are.

Your reward for getting the Life Savers is this oddly proportioned picture of Sonic and Tails. Yay.

It took me several hours to get the good ending because the last three (of six) special stages are frigging hard. I had to use the old dirty trick from my childhood of setting it to "manual save" and resetting when I don't get it.

Here's a picture of Heavy in the special stage, because this amuses me:

Heavy is supposed to be a joke character, like the horrible Bomb, but he's actually awesome as a partner. He's invincible, for crying out loud! He's like a wrecking ball you can swing at enemies.

As for the special stages, I guess their main point was to do something you couldn't even have approximated on the stock Genesis. They don't stick to that hexagonal shape - there's actually a lot of interesting geometry and stage design, which I think makes these the best special stages in the series. Unfortunately, it's really easy to fall out and lose, which is very frustrating. For some reason they seem to run more smoothly on the 32X than on Fusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

32X Space Harrier has landed on Earth

I hate Knuckles' Chaotix (but I respect your opinion). The stage design is horrible. I like the special stages, but not the second last one which nearly drove me insane. After I beat it and the last one, I rushed through the game to get the good ending and then shelf it.

I beat Space Harrier. I love this game. So beautiful, sounds great, fun to play. Proves that simplicity can be a good thing.
    I started playing on hard, but after dieing on stage 17 a few times, I switched to normal :P.

New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

i think a better question is do we have anybody that has darXide ?
    or web of fire
    Kitsune in a hat

I have Darxide, an original copy, not a pirate one. But I need to mod my 32X so it stops shaking when 3D graphics are on screen. After a while it gets annoying. I could beat a shorter 3D game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    But I need to mod my 32X so it stops shaking when 3D graphics are on screen. After a while it gets annoying.
    So you get screen shake when it does 3D? Or does the unit itself start trembling with the sheer power of it all?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    So you get screen shake when it does 3D? Or does the unit itself start trembling with the sheer power of it all?
    Actually, my brain starts to shake, which causes it to write dangling modifiers :P.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

I have two copies of Web of Fire, so I guess I could do it.

I beat Kolibri last month, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    I have two copies of Web of Fire, so I guess I could do it.
    Two copies, eh? How'd that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    I beat Kolibri last month, does that count?
    Alas, no, it has to be in 2014. BTW I enjoyed the Kolibri review on your site, though I guess you were less bothered by the wonky controls than I was -- the fact that you dart forward after moving up/down drove me nuts.

32X Virtua Fighter is now an unreal pacifist.

I beat Virtua Fighter.

Great game! One of the gems of the 32X. Plays, looks and sounds great.

I played on the default settings.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

well then i guess it can be done

how much did darXide run you or did you buy it orginal ?
    Kitsune in a hat

Thread Information