Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat Every 32X Game in 2014? - The Official Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CFFJR View Post
    Dsh! Welcome to the party, glad to see you here!
    I've been here before, but apparently my post count got wiped (probably in the switch over some time ago).

My son bumped into and froze the Genesis while I was on about level 9 of Doom this morning, so guess I won't be getting that run in today after all...

All your Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 are belong to me!

The game has issues between the copious slowdown and the way the polygons don't fit together all that well, but it's an interesting little shmup with a fun powerup mechanic. Jump (yes, jump) onto an enemy ship, steal its shot type, and then fling that enemy at the other enemies. Decent music goes along with the decent graphics as well, making for a slightly above average game that could have been a good Viewpoint clone, but misses the mark.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I picked one up from a yard sale CIB for $1 a few years back, but I resold my copy for $150. Can't believe how much the game has gone up this past year.
    Wish I could figure it out myself. It's not like the game's anything special.

After Burner Complete completely completed.

An abysmal score, but I made it through. I always liked this port. It's about as close to the arcade game as you'll get on a cart, with music, graphics and such that are very close to being spot on with the arcade game. It's also a tough little game (for me anyway), with a fast pace and somewhat short play time if you make it to the end. There's not much else to say.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Wish I could figure it out myself. It's not like the game's anything special.
    It's rare and it's Spiderman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

There's probably a bunch of Spider-Man/Marvel/Comic collectors who want it in addition to the retro game enthusiasts.

Here's my first contribution.

Primal Rage - Medium Difficulty - Playthrough as Blizzard

IMG_6790.JPG

Hope to add a few more before the month is out!
    Last edited by dsheinem; 01-10-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Awesome! BTW your image isn't displaying, and I think I know why: you have to click the "Go Advanced" button and use "Manage Attachments" or else you'll be the only one who can see your attachment. It's annoying that you can't use the "Insert Image" button for it, but unfortunately that's the way the forum software works.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    ^Awesome! BTW your image isn't displaying, and I think I know why: you have to click the "Go Advanced" button and use "Manage Attachments" or else you'll be the only one who can see your attachment. It's annoying that you can't use the "Insert Image" button for it, but unfortunately that's the way the forum software works.
    Sorry, hopefully it works now? Not much of a finale screen, to be honest!

Yep, it's showing up now, and thanks!

Fahrenheit felt the heat of the fire once again:

My other half and I beat the Sega CD version of this last night, so we tore through the 32X version in only an hour and were able to 1LC the whole thing on Hard on our first try (and, as noted in the other thread, you have to beat it on Hard to get a good ending). A weird wrong turn late in Level 3 threatened to derail us, but we got back on track.

The 32X version does indeed have technically better visuals, but if anything the clearer image makes the game a bit less atmospheric. Worse yet, in exchange for the upgraded visuals the audio takes a big hit, and that really does rob the game of atmosphere -- everything is too quiet and muffled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have Web of Fire I dont have darXide because I only collected to US games. but I have all the US release games only missing the boxes for Wrestlemania and BC Racers

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    i think a better question is do we have anybody that has darXide ?
    or web of fire

I spent yesterday and today with Kolibri, a game in which previously I had never made it past the first few stages. The second half of this one was pretty brutal (especially levels 14 and 20 (the walkers )), but there are infinite lives so plenty of chances for trial and error. It's a gorgeous and unique game, really one of the gems of the system, and arguably the best exclusive it has.

I decided to pop in one of the 32X games I got with the system back in 1995 or so, as I don't think I've played it since the 1990s: Motocross Championship. I was surprised, actually, at how well this one has aged. Once you get the mechanics down and start to understand the irritating AI tendencies, you really get an appreciation for the three levels of bikes and for the nuanced way you need to drive the tracks to place well. It was a challenge throughout, but a fair one.

Here's the win from each level (3 classes of bikes, 12 tracks each) and for the end of Season mode:

One more and we're 1/3 done

^Awesome! While I wasn't a fan of Kolibri at all (mainly because of the controls), I enjoyed Motocross a lot and think it's very underrated. Of course you have to navigate around the massive traffic jam at the start of each race, and get used to the fact that leaning forward is both necessary and risky. But once you've gotten those things under your fingers, I thought it played very nicely and was remarkably free of rubberband AI nonsense.

Thread Information