Quantcast

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: Introducing the Mega Amp - The universal Genesis audio circuit

Wildside Expert

thanks ace, as always audio spot is the negative side of the cap right? also you know the value of the resistor that we need to remove? i want to restore a md2 modded and put that board on this jap one

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

As usual, the audio signal is going into the negative pole of the capacitor.

Exactly what resistor are you referring to, the PSG pull-down resistor? That's 2.2Kohms, written 222 on it and is in the same place as any other VA0 board.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Wildside Expert

yes all works thanks. on pal md2 after soldering again the caps many cap traces on the pcb went off, and one on the jap md2, they are shit or what? its the first time that i see a pad and traces coming off..

I see there was a post back in June about updated versions of this circuit... Should I wait on that to be released before buying a Mega Amp at this point? Is work progressing on it, or have things kind of fallen to the wayside?

Also, I see Helder offers MegaAmp v1.2 over on AssemblerGames. What's different between 1.2 and the 1.0 schematic I see on the first page of this thread? Or maybe it's just v1.2 of his PCB for it?

Looking around, the only complaints I've found about the MegaAmp are lack of gain control (one guy said his speakers were clipping with it) and overaggressive filtering when it was turned on (which was mostly solved by replacing the 270pF caps with 220pF caps). Are either of these things tweaked with v1.2? I have no clue if 270pF caps are more accurate to Model 1 sound, but to this guy 220pF definitely were.

Thanks in advance for the reply, glad you've done this work Ace and villahed, though I'm a little late to the party!
    Last edited by bobrocks95; 11-30-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Sports Talker

i do two mega amps for my md2 va0 board and my geny3 va1 board, for the genesis 3 i used the diagram for ym3438goacs and rocks =D, now my geny3 has the mega amp mod to sound stereo and the SMS pin restore, but the problem are the mega amp on my MD2 va0 board, i used the asiic ym4338 and the sound are super mega great now but after installed the mega amp mod i lost the RCA audio out from my sega cd 2, ist like the genesis 1 without the mix cable, only sounds the pcm from the sega cd

The original Mega Amp design was not made to pass its audio to the Sega CD Model 2. I can tell you that this will be addressed.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Ace, is there a PCB design that can be printed at like OSH Park? I found the old version 1 on there, but nothing newer. I think its about time I butcher a V3 system, plan on adding a Mega Amp, fix the jail-bars and maybe region free switchless mod. But I wanted to get a nice MegaAmp, I found a few places that sell it premade, but they are out of stock.

I've discontinued the original Mega Amp as I have a better design now, the Mega Amp 2.0: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...p-2-0-is-here!

A PCB design is ready and I will purchase a batch shortly so that I can assemble and sell some pre-made circuits as well as pre-modded systems.

This thread is still around for archival purposes more than anything. I won't delete the thread, but I will not offer any support for this circuit anymore.

Thread Information