Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pier solar on the dreamcast

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Default pier solar on the dreamcast

anybody going to get the dreamcast version ?
    http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en.../pier-solar_1/
    im kinda tempted to get it
    i missed the megadrive version and its "only" $ 50 to pr eorder till march

and its still a "new" game
    Kitsune in a hat

Outrunner

You can get the Mega Drive reprint still. That's what I did. I don't care for the jarring look of the sprites on the background of the Dreamcast version, so Genesis all the way for me.

Banned by Administrators

I heard the audio for genesis/sega cd version is out of sync, even with the updated audio sega cd-r. Also this "pier solar hd" is kind of not true right, the dc can't really do hd.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

The HD in Pier Solar HD hints at the game running in four times the resolution of the original MD game. And Dreamcast really does 480p via VGA so it kinda is HD, even though it is the lowest HD compatible resolution.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    The HD in Pier Solar HD hints at the game running in four times the resolution of the original MD game.
    Ok, I knew it was just there in the title as it had sharper graphics, but I didn't know it was 4 x sharper. Hopefully the audio isn't out of sync. I REFUSE to buy Pier Solar MD after what, 5 years of NONE of their expensive packages FIXING the audio problem nor does the not 1, but 2, fan audio "fixed audio sync" cd-r's.

And Dreamcast really does 480p via VGA so it kinda is HD,
    When I think HD now, I think 720 or 1080 HDTV with hdmi cables, so my fault, not the old default vga output video quality (how it was supposed to be viewed in 1999) of dc. But HD was used forever, analog HDTV, digital HDTV...

even though it is the lowest HD compatible resolution.
    Oh ok. I thought the highest standard tvs were 525 but 480 is lowest of hd (past decade) ? Just brought this up because Adam K said the dc doesn't actually do HD or have HDTV compatibility even with hdmi converter box, whether using vga output or usual cable output.
    Last edited by Vector2013; 01-07-2014 at 05:41 AM.

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    You can get the Mega Drive reprint still. That's what I did. I don't care for the jarring look of the sprites on the background of the Dreamcast version, so Genesis all the way for me.
    When did you receive your Reprint? I still have yet to pre-order Pier Solar. Would like to play it!

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Oh ok. I thought the highest standard tvs were 525 but 480 is lowest of hd (past decade) ? Just brought this up because Adam K said the dc doesn't actually do HD or have HDTV compatibility even with hdmi converter box, whether using vga output or usual cable output.
    It used to be labeled EDTV. TVs which allowed you to hook up your PC or Laptop via VGA. Some DVDs and some DVD players also supported 480p via component.

SDTVs can only show 240 lines each frame (480i).

And that Adam K guy (don't know who that is) clearly is wrong when he compares VGA with other cables. Dreamcast switches into a different video mode when a VGA box is connected, so it's not the same as just using some converter.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Banned by Administrators

He never compared it to other cables, he just said "the DC does not output TRUE hd" (either vga or cables/com/scart/svid signals to converter box) even says the 1080p isn't TRUE hd. I'm looking for the video where he says the dc doesn't output true hd. http://youtu.be/RS55pmLIEjA?t=2m4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvXE-Nqr54 at 4:14

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I still need to get this for megadrive

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    He just said "the DC does not output TRUE hd" (either vga or cables/com/scart/svid signals to converter box) even says the 1080p isn't TRUE hd.
    Yeah, it isn't 1080p. 480p upscaled to 1080p is still 480p. But 480p isn't SD, it's the lowest resolution HDTVs can work with.

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    i know but i prefer sega's later cd based cosoles ( saturn dreamcast ) more then their cardridge based ones ( mega drive mastersystem ) i am more likley to play the dreamcast version
    Kitsune in a hat

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Didn't check the site, But I doubt the Dreamcast version will come in one of those European DC cases.

i hope not
    those shatter if you look at them wrong or sneeze in their general direction
    Kitsune in a hat

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

dreamcast european cases are most excellent cases. only saturns final generation pal cases are better

Banned by Administrators

Hey guys, did Watermelon try to get Pier Solar officially licensed or something?

Thread Information