Quantcast

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: pier solar on the dreamcast

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    i hope not
    those shatter if you look at them wrong or sneeze in their general direction
    While I agree at their rather weak structural design, I can not help but feel that a jewel case would just look horribly out of place
    amongst my European Dreamcast games. It's bad enough that I had to discover that Japanese games come in jewel cases when
    I purchased Fire Pro Wrestling D online all those years ago.

I have the Dreamcast version on preorder just because I like Watermelon. I think it will offer little improvement over the Genesis original compared to the true HD editions.

Anticipating Project Y much, much more.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    While I agree at their rather weak structural design, I can not help but feel that a jewel case would just look horribly out of place
    amongst my European Dreamcast games. It's bad enough that I had to discover that Japanese games come in jewel cases when
    I purchased Fire Pro Wrestling D online all those years ago.
    you only have one dc import? what about games like seaman then or the tons of japanese exclusives including other wrestling games like toukon retsuden 4 and giant gram (2000)?

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Heh, I had the wrestling games. Almost wish I was still into wrestling as a whole. Still watch an occasional old match on Youtube now and then though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninsega View Post
    Hey guys, did Watermelon try to get Pier Solar officially licensed or something?
    Not entirely sure, though I do know that Nintendo does seem to be doing a little bit of advertising for the Wii U version:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...H_2WRNfEhMgkWj

Looking at Sony and Microsoft's sites there doesn't appear to be any mention of it.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    you only have one dc import? what about games like seaman then or the tons of japanese exclusives including other wrestling games like toukon retsuden 4 and giant gram (2000)?
    Meh, When I got Fire Pro D and saw that they came in these poor jewel cases I kinda lost interest when it came to importing DC games,
    Just didn't feel worth the money ya know? because if I'm just gonna get a cd in a jewel case I might as well just pirate and save myself 50 bucks.

And it was difficult enough to pay for Fire Pro D back then, I didn't have Paypal yet (if it even existed back then), and the Smackdown games were getting better and better anyway.
    It also doesn't help that I've never really been much into the Dreamcast, It came right during a bad time in my life and due to that it became quite overlooked.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Heh, I had the wrestling games. Almost wish I was still into wrestling as a whole. Still watch an occasional old match on Youtube now and then though.
    Here, let me catch you up on what's happened:

Raging in the Streets

Are they for real with a price point of $50?

Will buy the PC version when it's on Steam for 3.75

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    I have the Dreamcast version on preorder just because I like Watermelon. I think it will offer little improvement over the Genesis original compared to the true HD editions.
    This is a REAL problem with Watermelon: They did not get the point across that the Dreamcast game is the HD version which then gets ported to PS4/Wii U/Xbox1. It is the same game running at the same resolution. They will not redraw the graphics again to fit PS4 & co.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    This is a REAL problem with Watermelon: They did not get the point across that the Dreamcast game is the HD version which then gets ported to PS4/Wii U/Xbox1. It is the same game running at the same resolution. They will not redraw the graphics again to fit PS4 & co.
    But, it's called Pier Solar HD, so if it's the same resolution/tileset on the Dreamcast.. which is 480p, then surely the 'HD' versions aren't actually HD?

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Meh, When I got Fire Pro D and saw that they came in these poor jewel cases I kinda lost interest when it came to importing DC games,
    Just didn't feel worth the money ya know? because if I'm just gonna get a cd in a jewel case I might as well just pirate and save myself 50 bucks.

And it was difficult enough to pay for Fire Pro D back then, I didn't have Paypal yet (if it even existed back then), and the Smackdown games were getting better and better anyway.
    It also doesn't help that I've never really been much into the Dreamcast, It came right during a bad time in my life and due to that it became quite overlooked.
    how about some japanese games that come in a double cd jewl case like toukon retsuden 4 and sakura taisen 3 and 4.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    But, it's called Pier Solar HD, so if it's the same resolution/tileset on the Dreamcast.. which is 480p, then surely the 'HD' versions aren't actually HD?
    If you limit your definition of HD to only 720p/1080p then it is not HD, yes.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Originally, I was very excited to get the DC version, but in the end I decided to stick with my Genesis/MD version for two reasons. One, I have to watch my money a bit right now. Two, I don't like the mix of "HD" environments with "LD" sprites. If they had a way of toggling true HD sprites on/off, I would be all over it, but it looks odd to me. It's great if people like that though, as that's one more thing they're able to enjoy.

Banned by Administrators

Hey guys, did Watermelon try to get Pier Solar officially licensed or something?
    ^Getting back to this, I just watched a YouTube vid of gameplay for Pier Solar and saw this-

Pier Solar.png

Did they approach SEGA, but SEGA said no?

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

^Getting back to this, I just watched a YouTube vid of gameplay for Pier Solar and saw this-

Pier Solar.png

Did they approach SEGA, but SEGA said no?
    No, they're referring to the stock TMSS message on the Genesis.

Thread Information