Quantcast

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: pier solar on the dreamcast

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    When did you receive your Reprint? I still have yet to pre-order Pier Solar. Would like to play it!
    Unfortunately, they haven't sent it out yet. They're still taking pre-orders.

Question: Is the latest cartridge reprint merely a reprint as they say, or will they be adding any of the bonus mini games that the HD versions feature?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

It will most likely be the same reprint that was available back in 2011 and 2012. I doubt they'd update it again seeing as the cartridge space is maxed out already.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    This is a REAL problem with Watermelon: They did not get the point across that the Dreamcast game is the HD version which then gets ported to PS4/Wii U/Xbox1. It is the same game running at the same resolution. They will not redraw the graphics again to fit PS4 & co.
    Hold on. So the Dreamcast/PS4/WiiU/Xbox1 versions will all use the same assets - which were remastered for the Dreamcast 480p version, not for the modern/next gen consoles?

Does this mean that the PS4/WiiU/Xbox1 versions are not widescreen?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Nah, of course they are widescreen. They basically just display more of the playfield at once. It is still 480p but the horizontal resolution is expanded to 720 (from 640). So the Dreamcast version is basically clipped but you loose nothing of importance (as the original was 4:3, and HD redesign stays true to that aspect ratio at heart so only unimportant stuff is displayed outside of the original 4:3 screen as can be seen in Nintendo's trailer)
    Last edited by retrospiel; 01-07-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Nah, of course they are widescreen. They basically just display more of the playfield at once. It is still 480p but the horizontal resolution is expanded to 720 (from 640). So the Dreamcast version is basically clipped but you loose nothing of importance (as the original was 4:3, and HD redesign stays true to that aspect ratio at heart so only unimportant stuff is displayed outside of the original 4:3 screen as can be seen in Nintendo's trailer)
    Thanks for clearing that up! Okay, so:

Dreamcast: 480p assets, 4:3.
    Post-Dreamcast: 480p assets upscaled to 720/1080p, expanded playfield for widescreen.

In that case, I'm much more excited for Pier Solar "HD".

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    Here, let me catch you up on what's happened:

And not just those 6, also Crush, Mr Perfect, Big Boss Man and Doink died. Playing those Genesis/CD/32X WWF games
    is like being inside a virtual obituary.

Raging in the Streets

If you limit your definition of HD to only 720p/1080p then it is not HD, yes.
    And since anything under 720 is technically not HD then yeah, if the assets we're really made for the Dreamcast and they are upscaling then yes they are lying.

Outrunner

When did 720/1080 become the definition for "high definition"? That resolution wasn't used when Sega slapped on "high definition graphics" onto the Mega Drive in the 80s. I understand that's the system now (HDTV v. EDTV v. SDTV), but I don't remember that threshold being in place in 1999 when the Dreamcast was released.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    And not just those 6, also Crush, Mr Perfect, Big Boss Man and Doink died. Playing those Genesis/CD/32X WWF games
    is like being inside a virtual obituary.

Yeah, I wound up doing that on my lunch break so I didn't have enough time to include them all (and why the sprite rips look like shit). I wanted to put McMahon in place of Zeus, but I couldn't find a usable genesis sprite.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    When did 720/1080 become the definition for "high definition"? That resolution wasn't used when Sega slapped on "high definition graphics" onto the Mega Drive in the 80s. I understand that's the system now (HDTV v. EDTV v. SDTV), but I don't remember that threshold being in place in 1999 when the Dreamcast was released.
    Because since High Definition television was introduced, high definition content is 720 or above, if the assets and game are made for 480 then by calling the game Pier Solar HD are they blatantly lying more than anything, I guess i'll wait for more screenshots to see what it looks like.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    Yeah, I wound up doing that on my lunch break so I didn't have enough time to include them all (and why the sprite rips look like shit). I wanted to put McMahon in place of Zeus, but I couldn't find a usable genesis sprite.
    Well, he is in Fire Pro D, which is where we started...

Banned by Administrators

Why didn't they fix the audio in , what , 5 reprints so far ? I mean really, fans tried to clean the out of sync audio mess up with 2 versions of cd-rs but couldn't exactly, but why should they, why doesn't the actual company acknowledge and fix the issue especially at price they ask for reprints ?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    And since anything under 720 is technically not HD then yeah, if the assets we're really made for the Dreamcast and they are upscaling then yes they are lying.
    There is no upscaling involved. You see less image on Dreamcast, more on other stuff. Think of taking X360 screenshot or something and chopping off the surroundings.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    There is no upscaling involved. You see less image on Dreamcast, more on other stuff. Think of taking X360 screenshot or something and chopping off the surroundings.
    I see. The Dreamcast version is obviously some kind of weird novelty then I guess, maybe they should release a Saturn version too ;p

Thread Information