Quantcast

Page 151 of 155 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2322

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

  1. #2251
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I was wondering when you were going to bring up GT4. It is the showcase title for the PS2, and pretty much the gold standard for that generation of racing games.
    GT4, Valkyrie Profile 2, Monster Hunter, the machine can really make amazing graphics, although having received about 4,000 games, I feel the PS2 had some retained capabilities in favor of ps3. We could have seen more games like Hitman Blood Money and The Matrix Path of Neo.

  2. #2252
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,497
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloofoofoo View Post
    They way you burn and the CD sector settings matter. If you use discjuggler u can use this setting:
    In the "Advanced Tab"; set "Mode" to "Mode 1/DVD". Block to "2352". Be warned some burns are probalmatic and for some reason only work in mode2.
    TOC to CD-XA.

    I am not surprised , I told you before shmups are like Dreamcast best case scenario. Very little physics lots of small models that can just be duplicated from the memory( I heard small models in triangle strips are cache friendly for the Dreamcast) probably 1 or 2 directional light with very little transparencies. Not to mention barely any animated meshes.
    And I told you my response, these shoot-em-ups were all released in 2001 and later which is when the average AAA Dreamcast game was hitting 2-3 million PPS. It has nothing to do with that fact they're shoot-em-ups. NCAA College Football 2K2 has similar polycounts to shoot-em-ups, released in August 2001.


    I appreciate the settings tips. I've been mostly using ImgBurn, I acquired DiscJuggler but don't really know if it works better.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  3. #2253
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    And I told you my response, these shoot-em-ups were all released in 2001 and later which is when the average AAA Dreamcast game was hitting 2-3 million PPS. It has nothing to do with that fact they're shoot-em-ups. NCAA College Football 2K2 has similar polycounts to shoot-em-ups, released in August 2001.


    I appreciate the settings tips. I've been mostly using ImgBurn, I acquired DiscJuggler but don't really know if it works better.
    I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this like we do on frame rate.


    For your burns the final tip is to burn no higher than x8 speed( or whatever your lowest is). Faster speeds guarantee a bad burn.
    Last edited by Cloofoofoo; 10-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.

  4. #2254
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,497
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloofoofoo View Post
    I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this like we do on frame rate.


    For your burns the final tip is to burn no higher than x8 speed( or whatever your lowest is). Faster speeds guarantee a bad burn.
    Its fine if you wanna agree to disagree, I will eventually state more things about your thoughts on shoot-em-up performance but we'll leave it for now.


    I thought my Ikaruga burn was a broken one, I tried booting it in the Dreamcast again and it booted immediately. Its definitely the quality of the burn. Playing that game was the best gaming experience I've ever had on a Dreamcast. This game is a pure masterpiece.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  5. #2255
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Its fine if you wanna agree to disagree, I will eventually state more things about your thoughts on shoot-em-up performance but we'll leave it for now.


    I thought my Ikaruga burn was a broken one, I tried booting it in the Dreamcast again and it booted immediately. Its definitely the quality of the burn. Playing that game was the best gaming experience I've ever had on a Dreamcast. This game is a pure masterpiece.
    There's nothing wrong with my train of thought for shmups or frame rate. You're painting a wide brush with visual concept games as 2001 games forgetting they were 1st party. Most games in 2001 still hovered at 1 million to 1.5 million except shmups. I have nothing against the genre but considering every its apparent that shmups polygon count doesn't transfer so easily to other genres or it would have been more apparent and common.

    Even look at the visual concept games your touting, barely anylighting and heavily mipmapped. Definitely performance came at some cost. We can't even confirm polygon counts as it doesn't work on nulldc 106b. Not the best example. There are some games that push a ton verts but not many Tris. That's not a glitch, could be they are rendering things inefficiently.
    Last edited by Cloofoofoo; 10-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.

  6. #2256
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,497
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloofoofoo View Post
    There's nothing wrong with my train of thought for shmups or frame rate. You're painting a wide brush with visual concept games as 2001 games forgetting they were 1st party. Most games in 2001 still hovered at 1 million to 1.5 million except shmups. I have nothing against the genre but considering every its apparent that shmups polygon count doesn't transfer so easily to other genres or it would have been more apparent and common.

    Even look at the visual concept games your touting, barely anylighting and heavily mipmapped. Definitely performance came at some cost. We can't even confirm polygon counts as it doesn't work on nulldc 106b. Not the best example. There are some games that push a ton verts but not many Tris. That's not a glitch, could be they are rendering things inefficiently.
    We'll come back to this.


    So I tried using a laptop to do burns, its a beefy one(i5 with 6 GB DDR3). The important variable is that barely anything is running on it, where as on my desktop I got a browser with 40 tabs. The situation might be other programs might be interfering with the CD burning by using up CPU and RAM resources. So it seems the quality of the burn also means the CD burning program needs full computer resources to do its job.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  7. #2257
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,497
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  8. #2258
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Talking about sports I decided to revisit Konamis Espn NBA2Night. Despite looking ugly as sin its quite capable. Can spike up close to 1.5 million polygons @ 30 fps. Wow, who knew.

    Nba2Night gameplay shot. 40,497 tris per frame x 30 fps = 1.2 million polygons per second.Not bad.


  9. #2259
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    We'll come back to this.


    So I tried using a laptop to do burns, its a beefy one(i5 with 6 GB DDR3). The important variable is that barely anything is running on it, where as on my desktop I got a browser with 40 tabs. The situation might be other programs might be interfering with the CD burning by using up CPU and RAM resources. So it seems the quality of the burn also means the CD burning program needs full computer resources to do its job.
    Yes that was a big problem back in the day for me, not anymore since computers have gotten so much more powerful. Didnt think that would be the issue for you.

  10. #2260
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Another sports game on the dc. This times midways NFL Blitz 2001. Despite how it looks it really high performing. This game was when midway decided to upgrade the games graphics to further take advantage of the dreamcast, I guess midway knew their way around the dc... when they tried. It really was a big jump.Despite the graphics increase still unflinching 60fps.

    NFL Blitz 2001 gameplay shot. Perfect wide during the kick off. 35,922 tris per frame x 60 fps = 2.1 million polygons per second.


  11. #2261
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    beautiful! even the 16/9 ratio!

    Is it a modified iso or just codebreaker/action replay codes?

    Edit: (sorry if a little off topic) second question: what connection do you use to have a perfectly centered image and prevent the classic DC image shifting?

  12. #2262
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,081
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloofoofoo View Post
    Talking about sports I decided to revisit Konamis Espn NBA2Night. Despite looking ugly as sin its quite capable. Can spike up close to 1.5 million polygons @ 30 fps. Wow, who knew.
    Wow, incredible because the game doesn't look that great. How many polygons does D2 push? That game looked wonderful and also the sound design was incredible



    Also, anyone know the polygon count of Space Channel 5 Part 2 and REZ on the DC?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  13. #2263
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,497
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    I just finished doing some personal stuff not related to games, so expect me to be more active in this thread again and working on my goal of documenting Dreamcast performance. Though I can't write anything right now, I just drove 150 KM and been awake for 18 hours.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  14. #2264
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Wow, incredible because the game doesn't look that great. How many polygons does D2 push? That game looked wonderful and also the sound design was incredible
    i love this game, here are the numbers by Gamers Magazine: one million pps, 60fps, 18k per frame, 2,000 polygons on character faces, over 5,000 polygons for snow, 640x480 resolution.

  15. #2265
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,081
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    i love this game, here are the numbers by Gamers Magazine: one million pps, 60fps, 18k per frame, 2,000 polygons on character faces, over 5,000 polygons for snow, 640x480 resolution.
    I love the game too. In an interview with Edge, the late great Kenji said the game was 30,000 polygons per frame with 15,000 used for the backgrounds and 10,000 for the characters that very early in mind when Warp was 1st showing off the game. I'll like to know how many polygons the game does actually use in-game
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 19 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 19 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •