Quantcast

Page 114 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1793

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Almost forgot this pretty good looking DC game:

Headhunter doesn't really have any specific thing you can point to and say that's impressive, but it's very solid throughout. As I recall, when it was released in the US as a PS2 exclusive, reviewers weren't overly critical of its graphics, and that's with a slight visual downgrade. It's not bad looking for a 2002 PS2 game, and it's also a 2001 Dreamcast game. In my mind that makes it one of the best examples to show that if the DC had lived longer, it would have kept up with that generation on an "acceptable" level.

Another late Euro exclusive that's pretty solid looking is Evil Twin.

Not a great video but there's not much out there.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Did you actually read those "reviews"? Do you think that whining about the controls and pretty admit "hey, I can't play this game, so therefore it sucks" counts as a journalistic essay?
    If the game is "crappy", then why Virtua Striker became a hit in japanese arcades, spawning not one, but four sequels with several revisions?
    Yes I did read the IGN review completely. They did say a lot about the controls and inconveniences.

If the game is cheap, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    imo the best graphics are tokyo highway challenge 2. I doubt any other dreamcast game puts out so much detail and it runs 60fps, although can get occasional slowdown. such an impressive dreamcast game and it has over 80km of track without any loading times.

Though this game has parts of track that have no roadside detail whatsoever. I don't think it was because of technical limitations, but probably because of deadlines they had to meet.

If this game had constant roadside detail like at 6:30(in the above video), then I'd say it has better graphics than Ridge Racer V.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yeah that looked amazing, Loved this games on the DC too. Rage really made fab use of the DC and AITD IV is overlooked gem and looks fab on the DC

Is that real light-sourcing? I suppose it probably is as its only 1 light-source.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Headhunter doesn't really have any specific thing you can point to and say that's impressive, but it's very solid throughout. As I recall, when it was released in the US as a PS2 exclusive, reviewers weren't overly critical of its graphics, and that's with a slight visual downgrade. It's not bad looking for a 2002 PS2 game, and it's also a 2001 Dreamcast game. In my mind that makes it one of the best examples to show that if the DC had lived longer, it would have kept up with that generation on an "acceptable" level.
    But technically-demanding games never have impressive graphics. Whats the most famous example of this? The game that was released the same year as this on PS2.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

The developer said this game is operating at 30,000 polys per frame. Does anyone know if this game is 30 FPS or 60 FPS?:

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Did you actually read those "reviews"? Do you think that whining about the controls and pretty admit "hey, I can't play this game, so therefore it sucks" counts as a journalistic essay?
    If there's one genre that gets lazy, clueless reviews up the wazoo, it's sports games. So many of them get the "play it for 5 minutes, if I feel like a golden god then it's great, if anything's difficult to master then it's crap" treatment.

Hero of Algol

^Include 4th gen and part of the 5th gen racing games in that mix. The coverage is simply fake, to put it mildly.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Is it just me, or is the PSP a pretty goof proof of concept for what could have been done on Dreamcast? Yes, they're different hardware, but from what I understand, they're both at around that 1-2 million poly mark. There was some pretty impressive stuff done on PSP, including a GTA port. I think Dreamcast could have held its own, if that comparison is accurate.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    ^Include 4th gen and part of the 5th gen racing games in that mix. The coverage is simply fake, to put it mildly.
    Heh, I almost added a line about "Racing games are the same way" in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Is it just me, or is the PSP a pretty goof proof of concept for what could have been done on Dreamcast? Yes, they're different hardware, but from what I understand, they're both at around that 1-2 million poly mark. There was some pretty impressive stuff done on PSP, including a GTA port. I think Dreamcast could have held its own, if that comparison is accurate.
    I think the PSP had a lot more power, take a look at Ghost of Sparta:

I looked at the Wikipedia specs for the PSP and most of the bandwidth specs are written in Gigabits instead of Gigabytes. Why do people do that?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

D2 does run at 60 fps. Some more stunning looking DC games, such a shame this system didn't last

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    headhunter had very big production values for it's time. if you can put yourself back into late 2001 the game will impress you tremendously. especially the open world sections. keep in mind this game was released even before gta 3.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I think the PSP had a lot more power, take a look at Ghost of Sparta:

I looked at the Wikipedia specs for the PSP and most of the bandwidth specs are written in Gigabits instead of Gigabytes. Why do people do that?
    Tough to find good specs on it, but I found this discussion and it seemed like the poly count was close to Dreamcast, not that this is authoritative: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/...?t-308960.html

Maybe that GoW game could have been done on Dreamcast? The Dreamcast was the first sixth generation console, people weren't sure what was even possible, PSP had the benefit of the PS2 proof of concepts showing what's possible.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Don't PSP games run in a janky PS2 resolution that is more like 240p?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Ghost of Sparta has multi-texturing all over the screen, pretty much the entire environment has a second water texture overlaid on top. This while there is a bloom effect going on and plenty of alpha blended particles. Sounds nasty for the DC, though I'm sure it would handle the poly counts just fine.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

D2 does run at 60 fps. Some more stunning looking DC games, such a shame this system didn't last

I just found out this game is from 2006. That probably explains why it looks so good

I have this game in the mail

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Tough to find good specs on it, but I found this discussion and it seemed like the poly count was close to Dreamcast, not that this is authoritative: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/...?t-308960.html

Maybe that GoW game could have been done on Dreamcast? The Dreamcast was the first sixth generation console, people weren't sure what was even possible, PSP had the benefit of the PS2 proof of concepts showing what's possible.
    Depends if its 60 FPS, because I'd find it hard to believe that the game doesn't go above 50,000 polys per frame. Look at that boss battle with the tentacle creature

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Don't PSP games run in a janky PS2 resolution that is more like 240p?
    Its wide 240p, something like 472x240

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Ghost of Sparta has multi-texturing all over the screen, pretty much the entire environment has a second water texture overlaid on top. This while there is a bloom effect going on and plenty of alpha blended particles. Sounds nasty for the DC, though I'm sure it would handle the poly counts just fine.
    I've never seen bloom done good on the Dreamcast. I kinda wish Dreamcast developers found one post-processing effect that the Dreamcast is good at, so the games wouldn't always have that "naked" look.

Like maybe a really primitive form of HDR.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I've never seen bloom done good on the Dreamcast. I kinda wish Dreamcast developers found one post-processing effect that the Dreamcast is good at, so the games wouldn't always have that "naked" look.

Like maybe a really primitive form of HDR.
    It can do bump mapping in hardware. It requires multitexturing to work, but it would reduce the strain on the CPU quite a bit since it lets you get away with fewer polygons.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Thread Information