Quantcast

Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104
Results 1,546 to 1,557 of 1557

Thread: PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    The N64 barely has much of anything other than a shitty controller.
    I think its a fab controller myself and I can think of quite a few games that thanks to having 6 face buttons make the game much easier to control and play- Stuff like Wing Commander on the Mega CD, Virtual On onthe Saturn, Streets of Rage III Ect . 4 face buttons crippled the DC contoller thanks to only having one stick, if a controller features 2 twin sticks then the need for 6 face buttons becames less.

I miss the days of 6 face buttons. Because believe it or not, some of today's games really could use those 2 extra face buttons.

We nearly had them on the PS1 (which would have influenced everything afterward):

It returned back to a 4 button layout at last minute for... who knows what reason (weird controller shape wasn't it, there were other shapes too). Since they couldn't go back and redo existing they turned - and + into L2 and R2 instead of getting rid of them. This is why modern controllers now have four buttons at the top instead of two.

I'm more annoyed at the rhombus layout in itself though. More specifically the part about buttons being lined up in 45. Trying to keep your thumb between X and A (xbox/dreamcast layout) makes it awful to press A when you do it often since you aren't pressing it with the tip of the finger, keeping it between A and B is better but has other issues. And there's also the issue of the meanings of A and B in menus being completely different depending on the region because Japan and the West disagreed (thank Nintendo for screwing this up early on with the SNES). I'd prefer something at 0 or maybe 22.5 CCW (the latter may be the best one actually).

That PS1 controller looks so much better then what we got.

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

I only have limited experience with the N64 controller but I remember quite liking it. The PS controller works well with 4 buttons what with the extra triggers, but mainly after the introduction of dual sticks.

The DC has a really nice feeling controller, but the D pad needs a bigger circumfrence. Though it looks like it'll be rubbish, it feels as though it should be nice when moved, but it doesn't always translate into gameplay that well.

Soul Calibur would be perfect for the layout if the D pad worked better. Other games like Ecco really do just need the extra two buttons though.

I think it's a nice looking controller too and quite comfortable in the hands.

Teen Idle Raging in the Streets Gogogadget's Avatar

I recently aquired an N64 and have basically been having a blast with No Mercy & Revenge and not a whole lot else.

Although I maintain that the controller sucks for the simple reason of that fucking plastic analog stick, it's made from the devils plastic and is as uncomfortable as all fuck. It's actually a pretty reasonable controller when used as a D-Pad + 6 buttons but is leagues behind the the Saturn controller in that regard. That being said I have few good things to say about the PS1 controller (blister city) and the Dreamcast controller makes me rage uncontrollably every time I use it... and thats a console I actually like.

Funnily enough I don't dislike the DC's thumbstick but I can see why it's not to everyone's liking. I've ordered some rubber pads to see how they feel. They have a white circle on them so shouldn't look out of place.

The best D pad bar none is on the Nomad, Street Fighter II is a pleasure to play on that system.

End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar

The Nomad?

I don't think so. The best D-pad is on the Japanese Sega Saturn controller.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

It's a close run thing, but I personally really do love the Nomad's pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I recently aquired an N64 and have basically been having a blast with No Mercy & Revenge and not a whole lot else.

Although I maintain that the controller sucks for the simple reason of that fucking plastic analog stick, it's made from the devils plastic and is as uncomfortable as all fuck. It's actually a pretty reasonable controller when used as a D-Pad + 6 buttons but is leagues behind the the Saturn controller in that regard. That being said I have few good things to say about the PS1 controller (blister city) and the Dreamcast controller makes me rage uncontrollably every time I use it... and thats a console I actually like.
    oh yes!!

The D-pad of the Mega Driver controller is more soft, so I like it better than the Saturn one.
    About the 6 button layout, the way Nintendo handled them in the N64 controller (and also the same of that prototype PSX) is still better than those from Sega because you still have the "cross" between 4 of them, since in certain games you need to hold one while pressing other two. The layout from the first Xbox, however, is an abomination, you can't play fighting games right on it because they are displaced into a more vertical way.

Quote Originally Posted by maxi View Post
    The D-pad of the Mega Driver controller is more soft, so I like it better than the Saturn one.
    About the 6 button layout, the way Nintendo handled them in the N64 controller (and also the same of that prototype PSX) is still better than those from Sega because you still have the "cross" between 4 of them, since in certain games you need to hold one while pressing other two. The layout from the first Xbox, however, is an abomination, you can't play fighting games right on it because they are displaced into a more vertical way.
    The last vertical row on the Sega 16 buttons is angled just right for holding both buttons. What I do when I emulate certain SNES games with the Genesis 6 button (which is usually making the Y & B buttons of an SNES to Z & C on a Sega 6 button controller). The angle of Y & B is kinda close and do able, but meh, would of been better if all buttons had the Z & C angle.

Thread Information