Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Gear- Hamy HG-806 Genesis Clone

Genesis Sega Gear- Hamy HG-806 Genesis Clone

Looking for a portable Genesis so you can take your cartridges on the go, but find the Nomad a bit too pricey? Well, there are other options out there! We take a look at a relatively new one, the Hamy HG-806, and put it through its paces. It performs surprisingly well for non-Sega-made hardware, so read on and see if this one fits your needs.

That's a pretty nice piece of kit. It does appear to be hard to find online.

Interesting discovery. How is the build quality on this gadget? One thing I found very irritating about the mobile AtGames devices was how cheaply and shoddily those were constructed. Aside from the emulation- and sound issues, the plastic was cheap and would easily crack, and the soldering was so bad that on one Occasion I witnessed the cartridge Port being torn out alongside with the cart - on a brand new device!

I take it the Hamy is completely unlicensed though, isn't it? At least the last few renamed/altered games on the list of included titles smell a Lot like something usually to be found on some bootleg "xx in 1" Cart you usually get in Hongkong/China. Funny though, that a device found in pirate waters seems to have an overall superior quality compared to the official licensed ones (AtGames in particular) we get around here.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

The build quality is very good. The plastic has good strength to it, PCB is of decent quality and the cart slot is good too. Only downside is there isn't much weight to the Hamy. Sonic 3 + Knuckles outweighs it.

I added the website of the company that makes it on the main review page, I also Emailed them to see how much it would be directly from them I will update when I find out.
    Last edited by douglie007; 01-24-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

So... It's a pink GenMobile. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by douglie007 View Post
    I added the website of the company that makes it on the main review page, I also Emailed them to see how much it would be directly from them I will update when I find out.
    I don't see the comment on the article page.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    So... It's a pink GenMobile. Got it.
    No! The GenMobile has an ARM core emulator, which is evil! This pink look-a-like has a Genesis on a Chip. It's just as real as any other Genesis made by Sega. Just, in this case, it is about the most ASIC'd and condensed as you can get, where all the chips in a Genesis are combined into one.

Does that actually say "Sexy" on the box? Amusing.

It absolutely does! Gotta love those silly Hong Kong products.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Man, I wish at least one of these GOAC clones would work well right out of the box. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it didn't need to be opened up and monkeyed with.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I don't like the way the buttons are aligned. It's very awkward. I bought the retro gen a few years ago, and I only played it a few times for this reason. It's just not comfortable to me. Well, that and it's kind of glitchy sometimes, but that's how all of these things are. Considering how little I've played it, I should probably just sell it.

the comment needed approved, its there now.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Then I guess I'll see about trying one out.

I've spent some more time with the Hamy HG-806, I am still very pleased with it. It's a very high quality system, I can't think of much wrong with it. It's great for people who just like playing regular Genesis games and won't miss fringe stuff like Virtua Racing or SMS games.

If you open up this system to make a couple fixes, I recommend unscrewing the mainboard, taking the two D-Pad pieces and cutting them into four pieces. It's a simple fix that is a lot easier to use than having the D-pad split in half or cut up the case to get a different D-Pad to fit. Yes, despite what one might think, a D-Pad that is 4 buttons is actually pretty decent. It's hard to pivot and rotate but the buttons are springy enough that it acts like a D-Pad for all intents and purposes.

Another small update. I have come into the possession of a 32X again. I tried to plug it in the Hamy clone and the 32X physically cannot reach the cartridge slot. I only just finished fixing up this 32X so I don't feel like taking it apart again right now to test further. Not that this is really important, the Hamy has no RGB output.

Has anyone else obtained one of these? How do other people like this clone? I still love it.

Thread Information