Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sega Gear- Hamy HG-806 Genesis Clone

The MD360 also seems to have been sold in Russia:
    http://www.xboxlandshop.net/pristavki-mega-drive/?&p=4

There are other ones like MD290 and MD350, but those seem to use proprietary carts instead.

I also found this picture of a Hamy HG-829:
    http://paris2012.sell.everychina.com...me-hg-829.html

Also seems to play MD carts but uses AAA batteries and has a Mode button. I've never seen it anywhere else, so who knows if it was even made.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ndiddy's Avatar

I emailed the manufacturer about the issues with this clone and they replied saying they'd passed them on to their engineers. Maybe they'll come out with a fixed revision eventually.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Wainstop's Avatar

Do you guys think this thing would work with the Codemasters J-Cart, the game which has 2 controller ports built in such as Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One tokay's Avatar

Buying a Nomad being way too expensive for me, I came across this interesting article: http://www.sega-16.com/2014/01/sega-...genesis-clone/
    Can someone confirm Pier Solar works correctly until the end?
    Is it OK with latest reprint considering the lack of TMSS?
    Last edited by tokay; 03-27-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Hi, I've bought this wonderful machine too, with the high hope to use it as an affordable alternative to a SEGA Nomad.

I received the same model as @Genesis32XCD, with black buttons and 68 games included.

After playing with it for several hours during last week, I have an overall mixed feeling with this device:

Pro:
    - Overall, it works smoothly. The games (included or cart) run fine, both in handheld or TV output mode.
    - The controller is not perfect, but good enough to play most games
    - The battery last a long time (I don't have a precise measure, but it runs for several hours after a full charge, maybe 5-7h)
    - It's cheap (I got mine for 35$, quite affordable compared to an actual Nomad)

Con:

- As most of you have stated, the sound isn't perfect, but honestly it's still acceptable for most games IMHO
    - My biggest disappointment is the screen. I couldn't see it on the pictures posted here, but the screen is just awful. Sure, it's bright, colorful, and with correct screen ratio. But, at least on my unit, the image is full of ugly "grain": solid colors don't display as solid colors, but as some kind of "checkered color" texture. Moreover, this "grain" is not static, and it will "alternate" when you are scrolling the screen. It looks like the screen resolution issn't 320x240 but something lower and the image is "scaled down" in a very loose way to be displayed on the screen. However, when using the TV output mode, the image looks like an actual Genesis (solid colors instead of checkered pixel mess), so my guess is that the issue is with the handheld screen.

Is my unit defective? Or is a default of the "2017" edition of the device? Because picture of the 2014 versions on this thread don't seem to have this issue.

I'm really disappointed by this screen issue, because without this problem, I guess the HG-806 would be a very good alternative to a Nomad.

I got mine today.
    It is a complete piece of garbage. This screen looks terrible, with wrong resolution and terrible flickering.
    I asked for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by tokay View Post
    I got mine today.
    It is a complete piece of garbage. This screen looks terrible, with wrong resolution and terrible flickering.
    I asked for a refund.
    I'm sad you got disappointed too, but I guess it's an indication that my unit wasn't defective (sadly). So it appears that the 2017 version has a worse screen than the 2014 one . Do you also have the same unit pictured here (black buttons with 68 games included)?

@Genesis32XCD: does your unit also have a crappy screen with a lot of grain and flickering?

So, if the HG-806 can't replace a Nomad, is there any other handheld famiclone with support for cartridges worth buying?

Yes, it is the same version.
    Everything is wrong with it. Games do not even seem to run at 50Hz, but below!
    People should avoid buying this product from now on.
    Last edited by tokay; 06-14-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks tokay for your feedback - I guess the 2017 version of the unit isn't as good as the 2014 version mentioned in this topic (the pink one) - it's sad, because it looked cool!

On my end, I've some additional testing, and I still have mixed feelings about it.

Some games have the audio heavily distorted (my ears prevent me for launching Street of Rage 2 on this device ever again), although it's somewhat acceptable for most games. But the screen is really horrible. When you have text written in white over a black (or very dark) background, you'll notice that some of the text border pixels are colored in green or red instead of being white - very strange.

I tried to gather more info on the TCT-6803 chip inside this device (and this forum was very helpful). My guess is that the chip outputs a composite signal that it is then converted to the TFT screen. And I guess the way this chip is converting signals is rather "loose", resulting in the messy and flickering pixels displayed onscreen.

One more complaint: the cartridge slot is VERY narrow. I always fear of ripping my cartridges and their label when inserting them. The worst case was with my Mega Everdrive: I had to force it down a bit, and then it was stuck inside the cartridge slot. To get the cartridge out, I had to bend the device cartridge slot a bit... And I've learned my lesson, I'll never use the Mega Everdrive with it again!

Speaking of Everdrive, I was happy to see that a modern "Mega Everdrive" (X7) runs flawlessly, but sadly an older "Everdrive MD" (the ones using Flash ROM) doesn't start - I have a blank screen. I've read that the HG-806 is also unable to run Virtua Racing and the large multicarts. I don't know if the device can be modded to run these carts, like the way some members of this forum have fixed other Geniclones running a TCT-6801.

Thread Information