Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Gear- Hamy HG-806 Genesis Clone

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Has anyone else obtained one of these?
    I'd love to get me one of those.
    Could you confirm whether this is the unit here? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-b...968295653.html
    or if not to kindly link me to where I could get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

At face value yes, it should be the correct unit. Same system, same AC adapter and AV cable and the list of games is exactly the same, except mine has 5 additional copies of other games built in... So it's still 14 unique games like the Aliexpress one. The only difference is mine is pink while the available colors from that seller are black and white.

Outrunner

If you open up this system to make a couple fixes, I recommend unscrewing the mainboard, taking the two D-Pad pieces and cutting them into four pieces.
    I recently picked one of these up and was surprised to find out it's the exact same GOAC and much of the same hardware as the older PVP2 or Game Prince portable MD clone (which uses small proprietary carts). From what I can tell this one is exactly the same as your unit other than they updated the internal ROM to be a 68-in-1 cart with no repeats.

The weird 2 piece d-pad is the same as it is on the PVP2. I hadn't had a chance to crack it open yet, but do you know if it was possible to fit the d-pad from a Playstation controller in it? Or if you removed the plastic cross pattern on the face could you replace it with a proper full d-pad and not the cheese-grater style PS one?

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I've never been very good at case mods, so all I did was split the 2 piece D-pad into 4 pieces, which works a lot better I found. The D-pad buttons are springy enough to work close to a real D-Pad. You can even take advantage of games with secrets that require pressing impossible d-pad directions.

Based on the tiny size of the D-pad in this clone, I'd say PS1/PS2 d-pads won't fit at all.

Outrunner

Based on the tiny size of the D-pad in this clone, I'd say PS1/PS2 d-pads won't fit at all.
    I appreciate the info. If I manage to swap pads out I'll post some pics.

This may have been something you pointed out already so forgive me if I missed it, but I was surprised by the 6 button compatibility on this. It lacks a mode button so I figured 3 button games that require it were a bust, but from everything I've tried they all work just fine. I've tried Ms. Pac-Man, Golden Axe II, and King of the Monsters and all work without any problems.

Managed to get myself a black one of these quite cheap on ebay recently and find it a mixed bag. Its not too bad the screen is adequate but not very bright , about on par with the original nintendo ds but has no brightness control. The console came with a 2 pin charger and a USB cable that attaches to this, so if like myself your from the UK you can use this lead with a uk USB plug to charge this device up. The sound is exactly as previously mentioned which is a shame. I have another clone console a Russian megadrive x which has a problem reading and saving game states on certain games i.e Might and Magic and PGATour Golf 3, like that console this handheld also suffers this issue. I have done the quick fix to the joy pad and separated the buttons. The biggest let down for me though being from the UK is that it is only possible to switch between US / Jap regions ( I should have done more research, mind there is little information out there). Can this handheld be modded to play region locked pal games, does anyone know how?

I got one from:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...6ac974a2&tpp=1

Also available from:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017...AbTest=ae803_3
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...2995e5c01aN73v

The box was already smashed up when it arrived.

It came with a Euro-style 5v 300mAh charger and a pin adapter. I bought a better 5v 1000mAh charger with a detachable mini-b usb cable (the internal rechargeable battery is 7.4 1100mAh).

It has 68 built-in games.

It does work with lock-on Sonic carts.

It also works with Everdrive. Genny 3 mode has to be enabled.

This one has a slightly different layout than the one in the feature. The board indicates TCT-6803-806E and seems to be made in 2017.

I switched these jumpers here: N/P, TV N/P, TV 6/5:

Switched jumper VCO SEL. Swapped out 17.73MHz oscillator for 14.31818MHz oscillator. Swapped out the 110k ohm resistor at R11 for 150k ohm smd resistor.

The 14.31818MHz oscillator has to be on the other side of the board to not interfere with the cartridge.

Cut dpad into 4 individual pieces.

It's now NTSC 60Hz and PSG/FM sound is better balanced.
    Last edited by Genesis32XCD; 11-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

AWESOME write-up. Truly excellent work.
    I'm fascinated by this, first decent GOAC since the Radica? Can anyone confirm if the LCD is RGB or not? or does the GOAC only have composite? Since all the pins are there (and it is not just a solder blob) I kinda want to use a scope to poke around for RGB signals....
    also this would work with my new Genesis controller converter to fix dpad issues, which is kinda sweet.

-Segasonicfan

It doesn't work with 1G multicarts (112-in-1, 126-in-1, etc).

Also Thunderforce 3 and 4 are unplayable. FOr some reason, the ship is stuck to the right side of the screen as if the dpad is constantly pressing right.
    Last edited by Genesis32XCD; 10-24-2017 at 08:07 PM.

It seems the rainbow problem is an issue with the Framemeister. I hooked the console up directly to another tv and it looks normal.

I bought one of those stick-on dpads for the original PSP, removed the adhesive, and permanently glued it to the console's dpad with some E6000. It fits perfectly and makes diagonal motions in Street Fighter easier to do.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ndiddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis32XCD View Post
    It doesn't work with most multicarts. Also Thunderforce 3 and 4 are unplayable. The ship is stuck to the right side of the screen.
    I just got mine in the mail today. It seems like the real issue is that it thinks the second player is always holding right. Load up Sonic 2 and go into a special stage and you'll see what I mean. The Thunder Force games just let the second player control the ship, so that's why the issue is evident there.

Couple other things:
    1. The console doesn't work with Majesco produced cartridges. I guess the cartridge slot is too wide (intended for those thicc Chinese boards) and the Majesco ones are too thin (actually, they do work if the plastic "spacer" around the cart connector is removed, and this improves reliability in general)
    2. It won't recognize saves on games with battery saves (Phantasy Star 4, for example) but will on games with FERAM saves (like Sonic 3). I'm starting to think that whoever manufactures these things just sucks at electronics design.
    3. My cartridge of Phantasy Star 2 won't start at all for some reason. It works fine on real hardware, and will load from an Everdrive but even on the Everdrive if you reset the console it hangs on a black screen. I guess it initializes the hardware in a strange way? Kind of disappointing, as the concept of playing Phantasy Star 2 in bed was part of the reason why I got the unit (although obviously the above save issue would also prevent it from working).
    Last edited by ndiddy; 10-23-2017 at 07:00 PM.

I wonder if there's a way to disable "controller 2"?

Another mod I did was to widen the hole around the English/Japanese switch so I can toggle it with a finger instead of having to use a small flathead screwdriver.

Also it seems that this switch was originally intended as a NTSC/PAL switch as marked on the board.

Banned by Administrators

I see someone else prefers a D-Pad overlay over those separated Sony style D-Pads.

In this case it's necessary since the dpad is separated.

I tried putting in a PSP dpad but it doesn't fit.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Wainstop's Avatar

found a couple of different versions around the web:

1) model "Pocket MD", 19 games built in. 6 button blue, pink, and black with white buttons at gamedoctorhk.com. probably the TCT-6703 model from the original 2014 feature article. sold out, was $48.

2) model "MD-360", no games built in. japan? release with only 4 face buttons. from ebay seller hit-japan. might not have a TCT GOAC. $150.

3) model unspecified, white with black buttons, 14 games built in. on aliexpress. no longer available, was $41.

4) 68 games, but in blue: on aliexpress. no longer available, was $56.

5) russian version on ebay, 14 games: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Micro-...W/122746553928 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...a/182804802818. russian youtube review. In this youtube video, the user modifies his Festa Micro Drive to use micro USB.

PocketMD.JPGJPN.jpgit.jpgblue.jpg

more information and pictures of different models https://segaretro.org/Hamy_HG-806
    Last edited by Wainstop; 10-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Thread Information