Quantcast

Thread: Printing out good quality Genesis clamshell covers

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Genesis Printing out good quality Genesis clamshell covers

about a year ago, i bought back much of my original collection, but mostly loose carts...i've since had them in random sports games shells with art printed out from The Cover Project, but no matter how nice they're cut, they just don't fit right. meanwhile, a local repro guy sold me Pulseman, Wily Wars, MUSHA etc and with the carts he brought a really thick stock (damn near cardboard) print of the respective covers, which fit each perfectly.

Now, i don't necessarily need them to be as nice stock paper - i tend to think the plastic overlay of said shells makes any good paper look nice - but i'd need the exact dimensions, as well as ideas. does anyone here do this? do you just take a USB stick of the art & dimensions and go to kinko's or where exactly, and about how much is it on average? it'd be neat to have my favorite shelf look a little less bootleg, haha.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

From TCP: The Guide to Printing your DS Case covers at Staples

Personally, I have a pretty decent officejet at home and just print out my own covers. Look for paper designed for inkjets that is like the stuff used on ad fliers (semi-gloss is what I normally use). And from my experience, lower stock (thickness) paper works better since the original inserts were not printed on very thick stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

It's because the cover project covers are formatted for the universal game cases. You have to resize the genesis covers to 3188x2020. That way they fit in the genesis clamshells. Go into either photoshop or gimp and resize and save them, then put them on a usb and print them.
    I'm doing the same thing right now.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Yep, you can get good results with The Cover Project covers as long as you resize them. Nice first post, BTW.

good replies, guys - i don't currently have access to a printer, anyone ever do this at kinko's/etc? just wondering what to expect, id love to give them a USB stick, the 3188x2020 figure & hope for the best. didn't even think about the size difference in UGC's and regular clamshells, good point.

You don't need access to a printer, just download gimp or paint.net (both are free) and resize the image. I don't think the guys at kinkos will do a good job resizing them (not sure if they even do to be honest).
    Also some kinkos might not print them and claim its copyright infringement.
    I'm not sure about prices, I doubt they're too bad.
    Last edited by Araden64; 02-02-2014 at 03:03 AM.

What I do is download the cover from Thecoverproject onto a memory stick or card then bring it to a copy store along with a Genesis case with the original artwork from another game, just to show them, then give them the dimensions for the case, 10.625 inches X 6.75 inches so they can resize it. I just got Frogger done a few days ago for about two bucks.

Once someone makes a cover for NHL All Star Hockey 95, my Genesis collection will be complete.

Don't go with thicker paper than what the originals were, I made this mistake with Grind Stormer and the case has a hard time staying closed.

I've only had one guy hesitate to print one for me [The Punisher] because of copyright fears, but I soon convinced him.
    Last edited by Chris; 02-05-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    What I do is download the cover from Thecoverproject onto a memory stick or card then bring it to a copy store along with a Genesis case with the original artwork from another game, just to show them, then give them the dimensions for the case, 10.625 inches X 6.75 inches so they can resize it.
    meant to say: much love for these dimensions, i went to kinko's last week & printed out my missing ones, and they're perfect! i honestly have a hard time telling them from the legit ones now, and i was able to use a print stock that worked well for like 60 cents each. it looks so good, i'm debating going back & having them do my nintendo ones!

speaking of, anyone know the exact dimensions for a perfect Universal Game Case?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

It's a real shame the covers at tCP were made for such a random format when the original MD/G clamshells are still around and in good shape mostly.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I've had lots of my games re done, mostly Master System, just because the originals were torn or badly faded/ discoloured and the new prints look just as good as the originals when they were new.
    Most places have high quality printers and I've had them printed at many different places in different cites like Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, New Westminster and Port Coquitlam.

Out of the dozen or so places I've had them printed, only one was of less than excellent quality, the game was for Rocky for Master System and Stallone's skin looked orange and the blue letters were not as dark as the original. It was a place in Surrey on King George Highway and I think it was only 40 cents or something, so I just went a few stores down and got another one printed for a little more that was much better quality.

Thread Information