Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can the 32x harm your Genesis?

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

ah, good info man! i ended up finding a metal plate for like $7 so i figured why not. one day i'll find a sega-CD dev kit, karaoke machine, wireless adapter, modem etc and start building the real ultimate segazord, haha

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    ah, good info man! i ended up finding a metal plate for like $7 so i figured why not. one day i'll find a sega-CD dev kit, karaoke machine, wireless adapter, modem etc and start building the real ultimate segazord, haha
    Lol, good luck on the Karaoke unit. I've been keeping an eye out for them and just saw a nice CIB one end on Yahoo Auctions for near like $500, blew mah mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

...okay maybe that one can wait

I am Sancho!!! Sports Talker SNKNostalgia's Avatar

I always have my Sega CD attached and plugged in. I use the RCA outputs from the Sega CD for sound and S-video mod for video out on the Model 1, along with the mix cable. I only break out the 32x when I play Space Harrier and After Burner anyways. Yes... the only 32x games that are worth a shit and you know it's true!!!

Wildside Expert

So if I get a 32x and always have the ac adapter plunged in, I have nothing to worry about? It won't mess my Genesis up?

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

The only new thing I have to offer here is the Model 2 spacer is actually useful beyond aesthetics. Without the spacer, the heavy 32X sits directly on the Genesis cart slot and puts additional physical stress on it. The spacer keeps the 32X lifted a bit so it rests on the plastic case rather than the cart slot. That and the spacer prevents the 32X from rocking back and forth which can make it freeze if the cart slot connections are not completely clean. Which is to say, if you actually clean your stuff properly (alcohol, eraser etc), your 32X will never freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    So if I get a 32x and always have the ac adapter plunged in, I have nothing to worry about? It won't mess my Genesis up?
    Exactly. I've had my Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + 32X plugged in and running for the last 20 years without a problem.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Exactly. I've had my Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + 32X plugged in and running for the last 20 years without a problem.
    Chilly Willy, Did I hear correctly? Do you keep your power bricks permanently pugged into the outlet? Rightly or wrongly, I always had this eery feeling that leaving them plugged in may result the AC adapters failing sooner rather than later. Why? I've always noticed that consoles' AC adapters remained unusually warm to the touch when I've left them plugged in for an extended period of time. I've therefore pre-emptively unplug them when after I've finished playing a game on the console.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

I plug both of my power adapters into a power strip permanently and turn the strip on and off each time I use the Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
    I plug both of my power adapters into a power strip permanently and turn the strip on and off each time I use the Genesis.
    I also have all my bricks plugged into a strip, but I usually leave it on. I just turn it on/off via the Genesis power button. I generally only turn off the strip when I don't expect to use it for a while, or if the weather is nasty.

To be clear, I haven't run the system 24/7 for 20 years. I play it a few hours a week or so. Most of the time, the strip is on, meaning the bricks are on. I have a small TV stand the system sits in (along with my SMS) with a 21" monitor on top. The power strip and bricks all sit on the lowest shelf, so they're off the floor and not in a position to overheat.

I use it more often when I'm testing something, like new CD or 32X homebrew. While debugging the homebrew, I up the usage to several hours a DAY instead of per week. When testing the stability of my 32X software and the new hardware modes I was using (DMA driven PWM audio), I left some of my player tests running all day long over a couple weeks with no trouble from the software or hardware.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I have a power strip with all my Sega bricks plugged in, which is plugged into a 3 way adapter into which the TV is connected. The TV is the 'master' and the strip the 'slave' so that the bricks are only on when the TV is.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I always have a ton of stuff plugged in at a single location and all the power cables are hidden behind furniture pieces, so I can't easily unplug or turn off stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I'll bet it would harm a SNES...
    i LOL'ed
    This image is too large and exceeds forum specifications. Please reduce it if you want to continue to use it.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

The 32X harms the genesis just by existing. Leaving it like a cancer connected to the genesis, damaging its insides while draining its power is a horrible mistreatment of the poor console.

Never leave your 32X unplugged, or better yet throw in the in trash.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    The 32X harms the genesis just by existing. Leaving it like a cancer connected to the genesis, damaging its insides while draining its power is a horrible mistreatment of the poor console.

Never leave your 32X unplugged, or better yet throw in the in trash.
    Hope sheath is not reading the forums! He'll ring your neck!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information