Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SG-1000 Appreciation Thread

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Talking SG-1000 Appreciation Thread

I have never owned an SG-1000 and because of certain nuances with the hardware, may never seek to purchase one, but we have access to it through emulation and now Steam (including the keyboard based games)! My favorite is probably The Castle (which had an inferior sequel on NES called Castle Excellent/Castlequest) with Hustle Chumy being another. I like alot of the simple, arcade-oriented 8-bitters that are very accessible and yet take a bit more time to master than your average iPhone app. Depending on your taste, some may say SEGA's offering for the SG1K was better than 32X, but as for me, I'm undecided. Still, is there anyone else here who has enjoyed the games too?
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 02-11-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

It has a great version of HERO. I wouldn't say it's better than the 2600 classic but it has a distinct look and sound among the ports. Girl's Garden stands as cool, unique game even without the Yuji Naka significance. Flicky, Penguin Land, Gulkave, and Lode Runner are quality, too.

It's a weak console by Sega standards but it had its moments.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Is there any difference between the SG-1000 and the Colecovision? Are they mutually compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

i never even knew it was a rebrnaded colecovision
    hell pretty much all i know about the thing is what you just told me

so tell me more
    Kitsune in a hat

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Is there any difference between the SG-1000 and the Colecovision? Are they mutually compatible?
    The hardware inside both is nearly the same, but no, they're not mutually compatible -- cartridges are different shapes I believe, and there are a few minor hardware or programming differences too, I think. I know some people have redone Colecovision games to work on SG-1000, so they can't be exactly the same, but on the other hand the Dina 2-in 1 and Telegames Personal Arcade will play both consoles' games (with two cartridge slots), so they are clearly very similar.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Colecovision, SG-1000, Creativision, and MSX all have similar looking graphics because that type of Texas Instruments video chip was common back then.

It's rumored that Nintendo based the Famicom's graphical style on the Colecovision, after having seen that system in action. I suppose the same for SEGA, although I don't know if either is proven. SG had double the ram as CV, but otherwise nearly identical.

SG-1000 had a lot of nice classic arcade ports and original games.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The two systems (SG-1000 and CV) are very similar, with basically identical graphics/sound hardware and the same amount of RAM (EDIT: Just saw Greg2600's note about RAM -- I'm pretty sure the SG-1000 was recently shown to only have 1K, despite Wikipedia claims to the contrary.)

Ports from other systems, e.g. the MSX, usually involve some degree of compromise and retooling, but the SG-1000 and CV are so close that a port should be essentially unchanged between systems.

The SG-1000 has a nice little library, though the SMS color palette issue is an annoyance -- the only way to play SG-1000 and get the colors right is with emulation, a Dina 2-in-1, or a Game Gear with a flash cart and special palette pre-loading.

OTOH tons of SG-1000 games have been ported to CV in recent years, which gives US folks a chance to play the games on real hardware with correct colors. I've also translated a couple, i.e. Chack'n Pop (much better than the Famicom version) and Ninja Princess. Those are two of the best titles IMHO, and I'd also recommend The Castle, Penguin Land, and a few others. I played through the English translation of Black Onyx when that game was ported to the CV, but it was kind of a slog.

Many SG-1000 games are simplistic -- some excessively so -- but the library still has an appealingly optimistic spirit, for want of a better word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    OTOH tons of SG-1000 games have been ported to CV in recent years, which gives US folks a chance to play the games on real hardware with correct colors. I've also translated a couple, i.e. Chack'n Pop (much better than the Famicom version) and Ninja Princess. Those are two of the best titles IMHO, and I'd also recommend The Castle, Penguin Land, and a few others. I played through the English translation of Black Onyx when that game was ported to the CV, but it was kind of a slog.
    I have a Dina 2-in-one and a CV multicart, where can I find these ported games that you are speaking of sir?.

Champion Billiards is a favorite of mine. Choplifter, too.

Calling the SG-1000 a re-branded Colecovision isn't accurate at all, is it?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    I have a Dina 2-in-one and a CV multicart, where can I find these ported games that you are speaking of sir?.
    Many of them aren't available as ROMs (only as carts), but a bunch have been posted here. Enjoy!
    Last edited by goldenband; 02-11-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Colecovision, Creativision, MSX1, SG-1000, TI-99 and maybe more all used that damn TI VDP. I think the only bigger whore was the AY-3-8910 sound chip, that was used in the Intellivision, Vectrex, MSX, 128k ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Oric 1, Mockingbird add-on for the Apple II, Atari ST and a bunch of obscure stuff.

It's not really surprising considering they were a good VDP and a good sound chip respectively, but it's kind of annoying having similar graphics/sound on so many machines. Part of the coolness of older machines were their individual quirks and unique look/sound.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

@5233, could you please edit your original post. SG-1000 was not a re-branded Colecovision. We don't need to add confusion and misinformation to the relatively little known history of Sega's first console.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Done ZZ.

BTW, Pop Flamer is another good game for this system.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5233 View Post
    I have never owned an SG-1000 and because of certain nuances with the hardware, may never seek to purchase one, but we have access to it through emulation and now Steam (including the keyboard based games)! My favorite is probably The Castle (which had an inferior sequel on NES called Castle Excellent/Castlequest) with Hustle Chumy being another. I like alot of the simple, arcade-oriented 8-bitters that are very accessible and yet take a bit more time to master than your average iPhone app. Depending on your taste, some may say SEGA's offering for the SG1K was better than 32X, but as for me, I'm undecided. Still, is there anyone else here who has enjoyed the games too?

say what ?
    since when is this machine on steam ?
    Kitsune in a hat

Thread Information