Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games with 3D graphics running at 60 fps - 5th Generation Consoles

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought Evil Zone was 60 fps.
    I played both the american and japanese version (Eretzvaju) back on the day and the american is a bit faster, but I do not know if it reaches 60fps.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Doesn't Stellar Assualt SS run at 60 fps? That's why it plays in a window, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quick question: What's especially important about 60 fps? Is the list just for the sake of personal interest in seeing which games managed to accomplish this? I'm curious if there's a specific usefulness to having 60 fps other than perhaps being more smooth and syncing well with 60Hz.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I don't think so, that game chugs quite a bit.
    Most of Frogger & F2 are pretty patchy, but near the ends of levels and in certain situations with few onscreen objects, I think it may reach 60. Again, I'd have to check, but I have a sense-memory of "Oh, the game could've looked like this the whole time".

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgamer View Post
    Quick question: What's especially important about 60 fps? Is the list just for the sake of personal interest in seeing which games managed to accomplish this? I'm curious if there's a specific usefulness to having 60 fps other than perhaps being more smooth and syncing well with 60Hz.
    A game running at 60 fps is buttery smooth. A good point of reference for me is when the game scrolls. In most games under 60 fps, when the screen scrolls, a lot of the details kinda blur (i guess you can call it a motion blur). Games that run 60 fps keep that detail as though it were still.

Also, and this is a big exaggeration but it drives my point, the difference is like seeing animation through a flip book (or stop-motion) or seeing it on TV. Yea, stop motion can look cool, but there's definitely a roughness to it. And that's how I can best explain the difference, to me, in words.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Sure, why not?
    It's just way harder to test since their emulators aren't exacly reliable and real hardware capture always cripples the video to 30 fps.
    It depends on how you do it. With 240p stuff my capture card recognizes it as 480i, but when I play back the video it's at half speed and looks funny. In VirtualDub I tell it to de-interlace the footage by blending the fields and doubling the frame rate and suddenly it looks like it does on my CRT TV.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 02-20-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Road Rasher

Do scaler type games count?, if so i have heard that the Super Burnout for the Atari Jaguar runs at 60 fps, and having played it, i wouldnt be surprised. Same for Val D'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding and Atari Karts.
    Also, i think the Jaguars Wolfenstein 3D port ran a 60, can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by saturndual32; 02-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought Evil Zone was 60 fps.
    It's locked at 30 fps despite its nothing-special graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to check. Escape from Monster Manor was variable and might've hit 60 fps in very simple areas, but I don't think so. Wolfenstein 3D, Battlesport, Stellar 7, and (in the simplest zones) Immercenary might be worth checking.
    BattleSport is 60 fps only on the PS1. Both 3DO and Saturn versions run at 30 fps with an option to disable textures in 2P mode in order to keep that frame rate.

The others aren't 60 fps as well.

I don't know whether you would want to count a scaling-sprite game (probably not?), but I believe Super Burnout runs at a rock-steady 60 fps.
    Yeah, it's kinda common to see Sega fanboys calling the super scalers as "3D games" but I've always found that beyond bizarre and nonsense. So, no.
    However, Super Burnout does run at 60 fps.

The descriptions of the N64 and PS1 games make it sound like the PS1 has a better average framerate, but I'm not sure that's true -- I seem to remember a lot of 20-30 fps in the PS1 port.
    PS1 port maintains 60 fps more often than the N64's.

EDIT: I think Frogger & its sequel on the PS1 sometimes reach 60 fps, but I'd have to check.
    Nope. Those games are locked at 30 fps at-best.

EDIT #2: This page claims that 3DO Star Fighter runs at 60 fps...? Sounds pretty dubious, but I haven't played it in ages.
    60/3 fps would be a better guess.

EDIT #3: More Jaguar: parts of this video suggest that Missile Command 3D might hit 60 fps in simplified segments. I found a forum post that cites Val d'Isere as 60 fps, but I doubt that's correct.
    Val d'Isere falls in the same category of Super Burnout, I think.
    According to my tests, Missile Command 3D only hits 60 fps if you're looking only at the sky and seeing just part of the mountains, which you'd never do in regular gameplay situations IMO. So I'm keeping that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Duke Nukem 3D port on PSX reaches 60FPS if you face walls, but mostly stutters at and below 30FPS. Really inconsistent last time I tired it.
    Yeah, I don't feel like including games with such restrictive "tricks" in order to reach 60 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Well if that counts, 3DO doom will run at 60 if you face a wall and make the window the smallest size.
    Not including this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    All Tekken games most definitely run at 60fps. Tekken 3 is kind of stretching the limits of what the PS1 can do though and sometimes dips under 60fps, making it feel a bit stuttery at times.
    Tekken 3 looks like crap in most aspects when compared to top-tier PS1 fighting games of the time. I think it's just the overdose of hype that makes it slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Dayona USA CCE is 30 fps but it isn't locked
    Yep, even the Japanese version still has slowdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by grieverr View Post
    A good point of reference for me is when the game scrolls. In most games under 60 fps, when the screen scrolls, a lot of the details kinda blur (i guess you can call it a motion blur). Games that run 60 fps keep that detail as though it were still.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    Do scaler type games count?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    Also, i think the Jaguars Wolfenstein 3D port ran a 60, can anyone confirm?
    Nope, it's 30 fps. It just scrolls fast as hell but it's 30 fps, just like the 3DO port.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Some other's would be

Jonah Lomu Rugby - Sprites but with 3D polygon stadiums and Pitch

MR Bones - Sprites FMV and Polygons

NinKu - Sprites but 3D backgrounds

Stellar Assualt

Also I'm not sure and have to double check the games but I'm sure World League Soccer 98 runs at 60 fps doesn't Willy Wombat, Thunderhawk 2 and Wing Arms and Iron Storm run at 60 fps
    I'll be checking these ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Just curious, how are you verifying framerates?

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Hero of Algol

Emulators + Fraps + frame advancing the recorded videos.
    I usually double check the games using different emulators and also looking for reliable sources when the first part isn't conclusive.

ePSXe is fairly reliable, as SSF for most of the games.
    3DO emulators are especially funky though.

For slowdown measurement I use real hardware though, 'cause emulators tend to reduce it.

Road Rasher

What about J League Go Go Goal for the Sega Saturn by Tecmo?, does it really run at 60 fps in high rez mode?

Sports Talker

I don't know if it hits 60 fps, but Wipeout 3 has an extremely fluid framerate while running at a hi-res 512x256, AFAIK.

Wait, Forsaken runs at 60fps on PS1 and not on N64?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    Wait, Forsaken runs at 60fps on PS1 and not on N64?
    The Playstation version of Forsaken is a direct port of the PC version, while the N64 version is not. The PC version heavily prioritized framerate and would adjust settings based on what your hardware was capable of within the restriction of having a high framerate. So that's why it's 60 fps on Playstation. The N64 version was developed separately by a different developer.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Hey Barone, our discussion with ABF in that other thread got me thinking, doesn't Star Fox 64 run at 60fps? Or is it only 30?

Thread Information