Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games with 3D graphics running at 60 fps - 5th Generation Consoles

I believe 30FPS is fine enough for the games that provide the cinematic experience, like Killzone 2 for example. I can't imagine this game at 60FPS with all those cinema-like filters. 60FPS is for the arcade-like games with clean and crisp graphics.
    Another example is DOS Doom games. They were locked at 35FPS and that was the intended way to play them. Newer source ports with uncapped framerate just feel weird and unnatural.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Yeah I don't think it's possible for an emulator to increase a game's framerate past its original limit, without hacking or altering the game in some way.

I started playing Earthworm Jim 3D on an emulator recently and I was surprised to find it running at 60 fps. It drops frames like crazy when you're fighting enemies, but the rest of the time it's unusually smooth compared to, well, every other 3D platformer on the N64. Can someone confirm that Earthworm Jim 3D runs at 60 fps on actual hardware?
    Yea to get a game running at 60 FPS, would require an entire rework.

A game's game loop is dependent on the frame rate.

As in:
    1. accept controller input
    2. do FLOPS
    3. draw stuff to frame buffer
    4. repeat 30 times a second

So when you speed up the game loop to increase the frame rate, I assume things would get pretty screwy.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    I believe 30FPS is fine enough for the games that provide the cinematic experience, like Killzone 2 for example. I can't imagine this game at 60FPS with all those cinema-like filters. 60FPS is for the arcade-like games with clean and crisp graphics.
    Another example is DOS Doom games. They were locked at 35FPS and that was the intended way to play them. Newer source ports with uncapped framerate just feel weird and unnatural.
    Doom at 30fps is unnatural. Everything at 30fps is unnatural. 60fps is closer to natural. See, in real life you don't see judder. Everything moves smoothly, unless of course you were born with some kind of eye defect which would explain 60fps looking unnatural for someone. I think the word you are looking for is "uncanny". Meaning that the game clearly looks fake but because of the smooth fps, it looks closer to natural and gives some sense of space and reality. Which can feel weird but you can adjust. Having said that, i enjoy modern Doom engines at 60fps and can't look back, except maybe to remember how the game was originally, for nostalgia.

Also i wish everyone would just stop with the "cinematic experience" bull. This is nothing but a stupid PR talk that publishers/developers try to push because they are either too lazy of unable to make games run at 60fps. EVERY game can benefit from smoother frame rate. The Last of US remastered is a "cinematic" game that looks and plays better at 60fps nobody disagrees with that. The only reason 30fps exists is because you can cram more graphics and effects compared to 60fps. In the same way you can have more graphics and effects on a 15fps game compared to 30. I guess some people wouldn't have a problem with that also. Personally, i just can't stand 30fps in this time and age, with the current hardware. We had gorgeous 60fps 3D textured games on arcades in 1994. Now its 2014. It's unacceptable. Rise your standards people.

Yeah I don't think it's possible for an emulator to increase a game's framerate past its original limit, without hacking or altering the game in some way.
    There is an action replay code that unlocks the frame rate in Banjo Kazooie and Tooie (802808DF 0000). It makes the game run at 60fps and the correct game speed at the same time, at least on PC emulators since PCs are powerful enough. I don't know how a real N64 will react.
    Last edited by Soulis; 10-11-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    There is an action replay code that unlocks the frame rate in Banjo Kazooie and Tooie (802808DF 0000). It makes the game run at 60fps and the correct game speed at the same time, at least on PC emulators since PCs are powerful enough. I don't know how a real N64 will react.
    Interesting! I just added it to Project 64. It looks like it indeed removes the 30fps lock, but it seems the game still doesn't run at 60 fps most of the time. The opening cutsce held 60 fps pretty well, but on Spiral Mountain it typically runs at around 40. This goes back to my previous comment about emulators being unable to improve a game's framerate in most cases. If you used this code on a real 64, you would get the same performance. The only way this code could get the game running at 60 at all times on an emulator is if the emulator could overclock the N64's CPU past its original limit, but this may result in heavy glitches or may not even be possible at all, depending on how the CPU was designed.

Do you know of any other Action Replay framerate unlock codes? The only ones I know of are for the Kingdom Hearts games. With those, the KH games do run at 60 fps almost all of the time in PCSX2, but I think PCSX2 might allow overclocking the PS2 CPU, so I don't know if a real PS2 would get the same performance.
    Last edited by nobody; 10-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Interesting! I just added it to Project 64. It looks like it indeed removes the 30fps lock, but it seems the game still doesn't run at 60 fps most of the time. The opening cutsce held 60 fps pretty well, but on Spiral Mountain it typically runs at around 40.
    It runs at solid 60fps in all scenes on my PC though. If you use PJ64 try changing counter factor to "1".

Do you know of any other Action Replay framerate unlock codes?
    There is one more for Banjo-Tooie (turns out its a different code than Kazooie) but i need to find it again...

Ok, here it is: 8007913C 0080

I assume codes like these should exist for other variable frame rate games by RARE like Goldeneye/PD and Jet Force Gemini. Actually there is an emulator variant (1964 superfast, or something like that) that runs Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at 60fps.
    Last edited by Soulis; 10-11-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The only way this code could get the game running at 60 at all times on an emulator is if the emulator could overclock the N64's CPU past its original limit, but this may result in heavy glitches or may not even be possible at all, depending on how the CPU was designed.
    People have had decent results overclocking the N64 CPU, haven't they? It'd be great to have that option in emulators.

It runs at solid 60fps in all scenes on my PC though. If you use PJ64 try changing counter factor to "1".

Thanks for the tip, got it running at near constant 60 fps now with counter factor 1 The user manual doesn't really explain how the counter factor works, but I guess it messes with the CPU/GPU timings somehow to improve performance.

Thanks for the tip, got it running at near constant 60 fps now with counter factor 1 The user manual doesn't really explain how the counter factor works, but I guess it messes with the CPU/GPU timings somehow to improve performance.
    Yeah, it actually helps with many games that have some frame rate problems. For instance, it stabilizes Starfox at rock-solid 30fps, it eliminates the frame rate drops in Diddy Kong Racing (like when you complete a lap and the "LAP 2" letters cause a small slowdown for some reason on the real hardware) and it also eliminates the slight pause when changing weapons in Goldeneye. But it may cause some problems in other games, making them run faster than normal (like in fast forward), i haven't tested it throughfully yet.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Smash Bros looks like it runs at 60fps on real N64, some guy on another forum confirms it:

http://dsxcorner.com/Untitled.mp4
    I've finally included it in the list after going back and forth on this subject to no end.
    I'm pretty sure this game has a inconsistent frame rate when playing in 4P mode, so I guess it rarely if ever reaches 60 fps in that mode.
    But in 2P mode, depending on the stage, the zooming level and the characters used (I think Kirby really makes things easier for the N64) it seems to be able to reach that frame rate. So I've added it in the list with some comments.

Please, let me know if you happen to find more info about this particular game.

Yeah, it actually helps with many games that have some frame rate problems. For instance, it stabilizes Starfox at rock-solid 30fps, it eliminates the frame rate drops in Diddy Kong Racing (like when you complete a lap and the "LAP 2" letters cause a small slowdown for some reason on the real hardware) and it also eliminates the slight pause when changing weapons in Goldeneye. But it may cause some problems in other games, making them run faster than normal (like in fast forward), i haven't tested it throughfully yet.
    Interesting info, thanks. +1.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Barone I'm not sure if you stumbled upon this and chose to ignore it, but theres a 60 FPS version on some website: http://totalconcat.org/stuff/hover_r...ghway_star.mp4

Apparently that game was made on a Net Yaroze. Very impressive, I love the parallax background effect they have going on.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Nameless One

Not sure if the frame rate for the following Saturn games but seem to remember (hazy memory in my old age) them being mentioned previously so might be worth checking out

Anarchy in the Nippon
    D-Xhird
    TohShinDen
    TohShinDen URA
    Winter Heat

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    Not sure if the frame rate for the following Saturn games but seem to remember (hazy memory in my old age) them being mentioned previously so might be worth checking out

Anarchy in the Nippon
    D-Xhird
    TohShinDen
    TohShinDen URA
    Winter Heat
    Anarchy in the Nippon and Winter Heat are both 60fps if I remember correctly. The Toshindens and D-Xhird I believe are 30fps.

Nameless One

Yup I think you are right. Think I was just thinking of Tohshinden URA as it was hi res (or mid res maybe) Still hopefully the other two Winter Heat and Anarchy in the Nippon will get added to the list

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Anarchy in the Nippon
    D-Xhird
    TohShinDen
    TohShinDen URA
    Winter Heat
    The list already has Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon (1997).

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Anarchy in the Nippon and Winter Heat are both 60fps if I remember correctly. The Toshindens and D-Xhird I believe are 30fps.
    Winter Heat is 60 fps only in the menus IIRC, I'm pretty sure it's not 60 fps in-game because I tested it right after Decathlete and I was pretty confident it would be 60 fps too but nope.

Yup I think you are right. Think I was just thinking of Tohshinden URA as it was hi res (or mid res maybe) Still hopefully the other two Winter Heat and Anarchy in the Nippon will get added to the list
    The Toshindens and D-Xhird are 30 fps like Trekkies said.

Thread Information