Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ps4 bombing horribly in japan?

Wildside Expert

Default Ps4 bombing horribly in japan?

So it seems places have been hinting on the ps4 bombing in japan. What i'm wondering is how the **** is this possible? Sony has been doing an excellent job around the world, creating an incredible hype machine spread through great word of mouth through the world, but yet it didn't reach japan? I've watched the launch stream and it was laughable, why wasn't the launch as great as it was in other countries like UK? Did sony decide that it wouldn't help?

Anyway I get the title is a bit premature which is why I put a question mark just in case. Title can change once we know more. Anyone got an idea of why the japanese are looking to have no interest in ps4?
    Last edited by Dja; 02-22-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

No idea, have not seen any solid numbers, and I'd give it a week to get them sorted out... but if true, I'd say there just isn't much interest there for it. Maybe they are far more interested in mobile this gen than anything else.

But if the PS4 isn't doing well, then the xbone launch is going to be utterly laughable there.

Playstation has a much stronger footing that XBox over there so I agree with the above statement. Don't rule out the strength of Ninty over there too. I don't any figures, but I should think the Wii-U is fairing better there than it is in the West. And 3DS is massive out there. When I last visited every kid I saw seemed to have one, it was quite surreal.

But the trend towards mobile gaming over there is big and I wouldn't be surprised if consoles are just considered outdated...
    Keep up to date with The Opus Science Collective:

OSC Online
    OSC Facebook
    OSC Twitter
    OSC Google+
    OSC SoundCloud
    OSC YouTube

I think the Japanese are moving away from consoles. It makes sense, as space is pretty much at a premium in Japanese homes, so the less clutter, the better. Also, many Japanese spend a significant portion of their time on trains. Portables address both problems. I think portables have become powerful enough to satisfy the Japanese gaming tastes. They don't seem obsessed with high end graphics as much as the US and Europe (and at the moment, the PS4 and Xbox One only offer better graphics, with no new games that really differentiate themselves from the current gen of gaming outside of better visuals).

The Wii U is selling poorly there. The best selling console is the PS3 (prior to PS4 release anyway). The top two systems sold in Japan? The 3DS (naturally) and the Vita (seriously). They love their handhelds.

The PS4 may end up doing fine in Japan, but the Japanese may be more likely to wait for worthy games to make them upgrade than their eager, western counterparts.

Don't forget the PS4 in the grand scheme is only part of the "Playstation Ecosystem" or whatever they're calling it. The majority of Sony's back catalogue is going onto a subscription streaming service available on most computing devices from PCs to phones. The PS4 may bomb in Japan, but Sony will still be making plenty of money .
    Keep up to date with The Opus Science Collective:

OSC Online
    OSC Facebook
    OSC Twitter
    OSC Google+
    OSC SoundCloud
    OSC YouTube

To my knowledge no solid numbers have been revealed, and we wont have any until the MediaCreate numbers come in, so just wait a few days. Didn't it just launch yesterday?

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

^ it launched today actually
    so its a bit early to claim failure or succes at any rate
    Kitsune in a hat

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    ^ it launched today actually
    so its a bit early to claim failure or succes at any rate
    Well, I suppose if all stores have reported no real hype and people are not buying that would be a good indicator to how things are going. But I agree, a bit early to say how it is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Well, I suppose if all stores have reported no real hype and people are not buying that would be a good indicator to how things are going. But I agree, a bit early to say how it is doing.
    Yah; even a slow start wouldn't mean necessarily it is bombing. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    I think the Japanese are moving away from consoles. It makes sense, as space is pretty much at a premium in Japanese homes, so the less clutter, the better. Also, many Japanese spend a significant portion of their time on trains. Portables address both problems. I think portables have become powerful enough to satisfy the Japanese gaming tastes. They don't seem obsessed with high end graphics as much as the US and Europe (and at the moment, the PS4 and Xbox One only offer better graphics, with no new games that really differentiate themselves from the current gen of gaming outside of better visuals).

The Wii U is selling poorly there. The best selling console is the PS3 (prior to PS4 release anyway). The top two systems sold in Japan? The 3DS (naturally) and the Vita (seriously). They love their handhelds.

The PS4 may end up doing fine in Japan, but the Japanese may be more likely to wait for worthy games to make them upgrade than their eager, western counterparts.
    This. Portables have ruled the market over there since the PSP and DS.

There's a reason why console game design is trending towards a more western style and why lots of popular IPs are being outsourced to western developers.

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dja View Post
    So it seems places have been hinting on the ps4 bombing in japan. What i'm wondering is how the **** is this possible? Sony has been doing an excellent job around the world, creating an incredible hype machine spread through great word of mouth through the world, but yet it didn't reach japan? I've watched the launch stream and it was laughable, why wasn't the launch as great as it was in other countries like UK? Did sony decide that it wouldn't help?

Anyway I get the title is a bit premature which is why I put a question mark just in case. Title can change once we know more. Anyone got an idea of why the japanese are looking to have no interest in ps4?
    Do you have any numbers or links to substantiate all of this? No offence but you are sounding a bit like a troll.

I think more importantly than the PS4 making a big splash or bombing in Japan is that Japan is not really as relevant as it used to be with respect to a console's success. I think the Xbox 360 illustrates this well. This article seems to hit the nail on the head:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ry-has-changed

So it doesn't really matter so much if the consoles makes a big splash in Japan or not; the gaming landscape really has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    Do you have any numbers or links to substantiate all of this? No offence but you are sounding a bit like a troll.
    why thr troll accusasion. Read the post you quoted again. Information comes from japannese friends I got on steam and several reports.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    Knuckleduster aka pc feefee men and battieboy

Thread Information