Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95

Thread: Ps4 bombing horribly in japan?

  1. #1
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Ps4 bombing horribly in japan?

    So it seems places have been hinting on the ps4 bombing in japan. What i'm wondering is how the **** is this possible? Sony has been doing an excellent job around the world, creating an incredible hype machine spread through great word of mouth through the world, but yet it didn't reach japan? I've watched the launch stream and it was laughable, why wasn't the launch as great as it was in other countries like UK? Did sony decide that it wouldn't help?

    Anyway I get the title is a bit premature which is why I put a question mark just in case. Title can change once we know more. Anyone got an idea of why the japanese are looking to have no interest in ps4?
    Last edited by Dja; 02-22-2014 at 02:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    No idea, have not seen any solid numbers, and I'd give it a week to get them sorted out... but if true, I'd say there just isn't much interest there for it. Maybe they are far more interested in mobile this gen than anything else.

    But if the PS4 isn't doing well, then the xbone launch is going to be utterly laughable there.

  3. #3

    Default

    Playstation has a much stronger footing that XBox over there so I agree with the above statement. Don't rule out the strength of Ninty over there too. I don't any figures, but I should think the Wii-U is fairing better there than it is in the West. And 3DS is massive out there. When I last visited every kid I saw seemed to have one, it was quite surreal.

    But the trend towards mobile gaming over there is big and I wouldn't be surprised if consoles are just considered outdated...
    Keep up to date with The Opus Science Collective:

    OSC Online
    OSC Facebook
    OSC Twitter
    OSC Google+
    OSC SoundCloud
    OSC YouTube

  4. #4
    Master of Shinobi sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I think the Japanese are moving away from consoles. It makes sense, as space is pretty much at a premium in Japanese homes, so the less clutter, the better. Also, many Japanese spend a significant portion of their time on trains. Portables address both problems. I think portables have become powerful enough to satisfy the Japanese gaming tastes. They don't seem obsessed with high end graphics as much as the US and Europe (and at the moment, the PS4 and Xbox One only offer better graphics, with no new games that really differentiate themselves from the current gen of gaming outside of better visuals).

    The Wii U is selling poorly there. The best selling console is the PS3 (prior to PS4 release anyway). The top two systems sold in Japan? The 3DS (naturally) and the Vita (seriously). They love their handhelds.

    The PS4 may end up doing fine in Japan, but the Japanese may be more likely to wait for worthy games to make them upgrade than their eager, western counterparts.

  5. #5

    Default

    Don't forget the PS4 in the grand scheme is only part of the "Playstation Ecosystem" or whatever they're calling it. The majority of Sony's back catalogue is going onto a subscription streaming service available on most computing devices from PCs to phones. The PS4 may bomb in Japan, but Sony will still be making plenty of money .
    Keep up to date with The Opus Science Collective:

    OSC Online
    OSC Facebook
    OSC Twitter
    OSC Google+
    OSC SoundCloud
    OSC YouTube

  6. #6
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,103
    Rep Power
    121

    Default

    To my knowledge no solid numbers have been revealed, and we wont have any until the MediaCreate numbers come in, so just wait a few days. Didn't it just launch yesterday?

  7. #7
    Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,323
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    ^ it launched today actually
    so its a bit early to claim failure or succes at any rate
    Kitsune in a hat

  8. #8
    Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    ^ it launched today actually
    so its a bit early to claim failure or succes at any rate
    Well, I suppose if all stores have reported no real hype and people are not buying that would be a good indicator to how things are going. But I agree, a bit early to say how it is doing.

  9. #9
    Master of Shinobi sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Well, I suppose if all stores have reported no real hype and people are not buying that would be a good indicator to how things are going. But I agree, a bit early to say how it is doing.
    Yah; even a slow start wouldn't mean necessarily it is bombing. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

  10. #10
    Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    4,171
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    I think the Japanese are moving away from consoles. It makes sense, as space is pretty much at a premium in Japanese homes, so the less clutter, the better. Also, many Japanese spend a significant portion of their time on trains. Portables address both problems. I think portables have become powerful enough to satisfy the Japanese gaming tastes. They don't seem obsessed with high end graphics as much as the US and Europe (and at the moment, the PS4 and Xbox One only offer better graphics, with no new games that really differentiate themselves from the current gen of gaming outside of better visuals).

    The Wii U is selling poorly there. The best selling console is the PS3 (prior to PS4 release anyway). The top two systems sold in Japan? The 3DS (naturally) and the Vita (seriously). They love their handhelds.

    The PS4 may end up doing fine in Japan, but the Japanese may be more likely to wait for worthy games to make them upgrade than their eager, western counterparts.
    This. Portables have ruled the market over there since the PSP and DS.

    There's a reason why console game design is trending towards a more western style and why lots of popular IPs are being outsourced to western developers.

  11. #11
    Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,375
    Rep Power
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dja View Post
    So it seems places have been hinting on the ps4 bombing in japan. What i'm wondering is how the **** is this possible? Sony has been doing an excellent job around the world, creating an incredible hype machine spread through great word of mouth through the world, but yet it didn't reach japan? I've watched the launch stream and it was laughable, why wasn't the launch as great as it was in other countries like UK? Did sony decide that it wouldn't help?

    Anyway I get the title is a bit premature which is why I put a question mark just in case. Title can change once we know more. Anyone got an idea of why the japanese are looking to have no interest in ps4?
    Do you have any numbers or links to substantiate all of this? No offence but you are sounding a bit like a troll.

  12. #12
    Master of Shinobi sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I think more importantly than the PS4 making a big splash or bombing in Japan is that Japan is not really as relevant as it used to be with respect to a console's success. I think the Xbox 360 illustrates this well. This article seems to hit the nail on the head:

    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ry-has-changed

    So it doesn't really matter so much if the consoles makes a big splash in Japan or not; the gaming landscape really has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years.

  13. #13
    Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    78

    Default


  14. #14
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    Do you have any numbers or links to substantiate all of this? No offence but you are sounding a bit like a troll.
    why thr troll accusasion. Read the post you quoted again. Information comes from japannese friends I got on steam and several reports.

  15. #15
    Banned by Administrators
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    689
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    Knuckleduster aka pc feefee men and battieboy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •