Quantcast

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Generation 16

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Genesis Generation 16

Couldn't find a thread on this - anyone else watch Generation-16 on Youtube? stewy (@ GAF - good guy, soon to be a member here too i believe!) has undertaken the daunting task of going through every Genesis title chronologically, and I believe he's done so far more fair than Dr. Sparkle with his awful anti-Sega bias on ChronSega (still an informative show, mind).

After a short hiatus, Ep. 11 went up recently as well, and we're getting into some of my favorite times with the Genny - 1990, when the party really gets going! Anyway, just wanted to put more of you onto a great thing if you haven't seen it prior.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Funny enough, I watched a few of those just a couple days back. I also didn't know if there was a thread here about it. He even refers to some of the articles here.

Thanks for the heads up. The first episode was interesting and I learned a few new tidbits of info. I'll slowly make my way through the rest.

Wildside Expert

Hey! I'm the guy making these videos. Thanks for setting up a thread here, IrishNinja. I really hope people dig what they see.

And yeah, I'll be referencing Sega-16 more and more as the series continues. The amount of great interviews on this site is insane. A major part of the research I did before embarking on the Generation 16 project was to read the features section of this site from top to bottom.

I really like this series. But, like someone else said, the pace at which it goes is so slow I'll be retired when it's done .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Well, that is between 900 and 1,000 games to get around to...

Wildside Expert

Once I retire I can do this full time. And then hand off the remaining list to my children

Well, I plan on collecting Mega Drive games until I die, so having new videos to watch about it isn't bad actually, even if they will come seldom .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Well, I think even some of us may have underestimated the consoles library. I'm only recently learning a lot of what it has myself.

I went to the AVGN "comparison" video at one point yesterday, and one comment was something like "Nothing on the Genesis rocks as much as F-Zero, Mega Man X, (and they even go on to mention Mega Man 7)," and as I'm reading that, I'm thinking, "has this person even heard of Technosoft, and the Thunder Force series?" I mean, that's a damn broad statement, that would indicate they've play almost, if not flat out, everything on the console, to compare it to those few SNES games. I wonder if they really know much about the Genesis' library at all when they say things like that. Especially when as a Genesis person myself, as I said earlier, I'm only still learning of a lot of what it has for games.

Wildside Expert

Totally agree. It's one of the reasons I wanted to do this series. I feel like when a lot of folks do comparisons or cover the Genesis they look no deeper than Sonic, Altered Beast, the Treasure games and Mortal Kombat. It drives me crazy.

Banned by Administrators

awesome channel!

Edited: Ditching that URL before anyone goes there and loses IQ points. That kid makes JJ Evans seem like Tesla by comparison.
    Last edited by midnightrider; 03-05-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Wildside Expert turntablist1210's Avatar

I have watched every episode, this and Chronsega are my most eagerly awaited YT series

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

ugh, Mzo told me about that AVGN "comparison" and it explains/embodies some of the memes i'd like to counter one day but so many people spouting them don't really seem worth engaging. to that end:

Quote Originally Posted by stewy View Post
    Totally agree. It's one of the reasons I wanted to do this series. I feel like when a lot of folks do comparisons or cover the Genesis they look no deeper than Sonic, Altered Beast, the Treasure games and Mortal Kombat. It drives me crazy.
    literally the first thread i made when i got here was about just this very subject, yeah. preaching to the choir i know, but having entire libraries (even the SNES one) summed up by 5-10 games is terrible.

Wildside Expert

Thusfar, the best "comparison" videos I've seen have been from a duo calling themselves "Console Wars." They seem to call it pretty fairly, with Genesis winning sometimes and SNES winning other times. I don't necessarily agree 100% with them, but at least they seem fair. Examples of their reviews:

SNES Street Fighter II beats Genesis Street Fighter II due to better controls with the default controller (agreed), better graphics (agreed), and better music (disagree, but only a bit).

Genesis Earthworm Jim beats SNES, mostly due to better sound and gameplay (more levels, etc.)

Genesis Streets of Rage beats SNES Final Fight due to better music, gameplay (2 player mode), and not being a cut-down arcade conversion.

Genesis Mortal Kombat beats SNES Mortal Kombat, mostly for keeping the gore that made MK MK.

Thread Information