Quantcast

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genesis really was better than the Super Nintendo.

Sports Talker

Default The Genesis really was better than the Super Nintendo.

All of this is my own personal opinion, but I was introduced to both of these systems only just a few years ago, so I have no nostalgic memories from either.

Genesis had the better multiplats. It was the Xbox 360 to the Playstation 3. Also, take away RPGs and the SNES didn't have a whole lot to offer. It had Mario, sure, but when you look at the sheer number of creative, weird. And quirky titles the Genesis had the SNES just couldn't keep up. Also, I prefer Sonic.

Taking into the modern day, the sega genesis is dirt cheap, whereas the SNES is completely overpriced. I have a library of over 50 games for the genesis and I haven't spent over 10 dollars on 99% of the games. And these are all must have classics. The most expensive game in my collection is Phantasy Star 4 which I got for 18 dollars. You can't even find Super Mario World for that cheap.

I'm not saying the SNES was a bad machine, but when you take away the nostalgia goggles, it's clear the Genesis offered more.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Better multiplats? Such as? The genesis usually got half-assed ports from the SNES if anything.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Better multiplats? Such as? The genesis usually got half-assed ports from the SNES if anything.
    I agree. Take street fighter for example. On the Genesis all the characters sound as is they all have laryngitis.

Some games are better on SNES, some are better on Mega Drive. I don't think it's possible to reach a consesus which has most good multiplats.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I think if we went through the list, we would see that Genesis has the better version the majority of the time.

But yeah, the price difference has gotten more and more pronounced. Plus Genesis games are usually available complete whereas SNES games are mostly loose carts. I'm glad I have the SNES games that I have now; if I had to start over, I would be acquiring these games extremely slowly.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Some games are better on SNES, some are better on Mega Drive. I don't think it's possible to reach a consesus which has most good multiplats.
    Well true, and most of the time, even if the SNES version looks a bit better, the MD version plays better (like UMK3).

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I think if we went through the list, we would see that Genesis has the better version the majority of the time.
    Well, we've been working on it, and others like Retro-Sanctuary and these folks at Racketboy have too. It's definitely all over the map, with some unequivocal wins for the SNES and some for the Genesis, and more than a few "meh, it doesn't much matter".

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Hm. That's weird that they say The Lion King was better on SNES. I don't care for that game either way, but I'd always heard it was better on Genesis. Someone here posted a gif some time ago showing how the game is affected by difference in resolution, and that the SNES version suffers from can't-see-shit syndrome. I think that's way more important than any difference in color. Retro-Sanctuary only briefly mentions the resolution difference and Racketboy doesn't mention it at all.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Hm. That's weird that they say The Lion King was better on SNES. I don't care for that game either way, but I'd always heard it was better on Genesis. Someone here posted a gif some time ago showing how the game is affected by difference in resolution, and that the SNES version suffers from can't-see-shit syndrome. I think that's way more important than any difference in color. Retro-Sanctuary only briefly mentions the resolution difference and Racketboy doesn't mention it at all.
    Not just that, I've played both and the MD version definitely has more responsive controls, sometimes I feel like there's a slight delay between my command and simba responding on the SNES version. I have the same problem with UMK3. Also simba's roar is awful on the SNES version (and so are UMK3 sound effects). SNES fanboys can't really hear that for some reason, for them simba having a pillow shoved down his throat sounds just like the movie.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Yeah, I definitely can't vouch for the comparisons on those other sites, though Retro-Sanctuary usually does a good job.

Wildside Expert

I like Genesis better than SNES, but I like ps3 better than the 360....

Mario World was great, but there were 4 Sonic games and all were great. Personally I loved 3D blast too. Lion king and all mortal kombat games were better on Genesis. Earthworm Jim was wayyy better on the Genny!

Both consoles were great. I prefer the Genesis, but it really is hard to compare the Genesis/SNES to PS3/360. The Genny and Super Nintendo were sooo different!!! PS3 and 360 are sooo similar. Very few multi platform game compared to today and each console has a huuuuge library of exclusives. The ps3 and 360 games are like 80% multiplatform. Very few exclusives. The Genesis and SNES maybe 20% multiplatform at most.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Guys it's getting close to 30 years now since these consoles were both released, WHO. FUCKING. CARES. anymore?
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Well true, and most of the time, even if the SNES version looks a bit better, the MD version plays better (like UMK3).
    I was going to type this. Beat me to it.

This, and the music is way better on Genesis. The SNES version has that "cheap samples" syndrome that some 3rd parties ended up with.

I actually love the SNES for it's RPGs though. And Mario, and Star Fox etc.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
    Genesis had the better multiplats. It was the Xbox 360 to the Playstation 3. Also, take away RPGs and the SNES didn't have a whole lot to offer. It had Mario, sure, but when you look at the sheer number of creative, weird. And quirky titles the Genesis had the SNES just couldn't keep up. Also, I prefer Sonic.
    I take it you are strictly talking about English language titles which you happen to be familiar with?

The Super Famicom has lots of weird and quirky titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Guys it's getting close to 30 years now since these consoles were both released, WHO. FUCKING. CARES. anymore?
    Yeah its like people who still debate hair metal even though its been dead for many years. Who was better Winger or White Lion ? Hahaha.

Thread Information