Quantcast

Thread: Very weird problem with PAL MCD psu on JP MCD.

Road Rasher

Sega CD Very weird problem with PAL MCD psu on JP MCD.

Since I purchased new lasers that arrived last week, I have been going crazy trying to work out why I can not get CD-Rs to work on a JP MCD1. The lasers I received are stuffed, they are all faulty but I did receive a system on Monday that only needed a new tray belt and is fully functioning. Sadly, it must be a final revision model 1 because it has a soldered EPROM BIOS so unlike the other 4 systems I have, I can't just pop a region free BIOS in it. The other two systems that came both need fixing. One has severe corruption on the logo screen and no sound; obviously a cap issue. I just hope the boards are not too damaged. The other system has a dead laser but did have a copy of Denen Aleste inside in mint condition I own the Jp (and PAL version from 93) version but I bought it sealed in 06 and never planned on opening it. Now I won't have to buy a "player copy"

But anyway, back to the psu issue. The fully functioning system would not read CD-Rs either. I was burning with ImgBurn at 8X which is the lowest speed I can use. They would either not be recognised or would take 30 seconds or so to read that it is a game disc. However, the system usually locked up when I hit the "CD-ROM" button.

I tried burning at 24x and the disc (Lunar Eteral Blue Jp) and the CD-ROM button lit up immediately and loaded when I hit it. The music in the text scroll screen before the title screen was lagging and clipping. It played the whole intro up until the scene with Hiro and Rubby. The music was lagging very badly and after the scene with Hiro hacking to get the Dragon Eye out, it locked up so that was no good.

I was searching on google last night trying to find any information that confirmed that the Jp model 1 actually DOES play CD-Rs. The Jp and early US systems have the same laser so I thought there could be no way that one can play them and the other can not. I came across a post on assembler where the op had bought a Jp model 1 that was not playing some games properly. They said that the seller told them that the PAL 240v psu screws up the rotational speed of the disc in a Jp system. The replies said "bullshit!" which was pretty much my response to reading it. I have a Jp cord from one of the Monday arrivals so I tried it. I can't believe it but I guess that the seller that thread referred to was telling the truth! All the CD-Rs I burnt over the past week (most are wasted cause they are the same game) worked! Lunar EB played perfectly and there was no more lagging sound or looooong load times with any games.

I always thought that the SEGA-CD was the odd duck that used 9v PSUs but I was wrong. The Jp model 1 also uses a 9v 1.2 amp where as the PAL systems use a 10v 1.2amp PSU. Maybe the regulator does not work properly in MCD1 systems? I find it really strange. I am buying a SEGA TRIO when they are next on sale so I hope it fixes the problem.

Sports Talker

ok all the power supplys i use japan pal usa are all the same officals ones i know this.

bios background will need ic 5 to be replaced but depends on motherboard type as theres a few types.

i would like to help you out.

Road Rasher

Eek, so the corruption is not just caps? It is a very first run Jp model 1 which the manual states was purchased 20/12/91, so a week after it launched. I have 3 different variations over my 5 systems now. The original version is quite different! Thanks for the reply!

Sports Talker

ok mate i had a japan mega cd i used 240v psu 10v 1.2amp and worked fine with CD-r and original games.
    i just had a mega cd in for repairs some elses unit bios background and sound but messed up background i am now now tracking down ic 5 ram chip.

i have other two boards that will not load a disc at all again ram faults i am still yet to order ram replacements and i will report if they come back from the dead.

other thing if yours lasers are not reading cd-r discs could be two things check the gears and what type of drive are you useing sony kss-240a or jvc optima 5s?

Thread Information