Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 106 to 111 of 111

Thread: Virtua Fighter 32x Questions

  1. #106
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,311
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I started working on a mockup to help those without visualization skills, such as myself, with the concept. I keep running into issues with photoshop though and don't feel this never-to-be-released idea deserves any more attention.

    So, here is my very shoddily slapped together VR-Deluxe is almost Daytona pic:
    Cool, I like the idea of mock-ups to show more of what the 32x could have done with Virtua Fighter especially.

    Backgrounds are decent and fighters are awesome just because they are really 3D models, with classic 2D gameplay.

    The floors are the glaring problem for me. ugly and bland giant grey squares, etc.

    I'd like to see mock-ups to show what the 32x could have done with those floors. I don't expect texture mapping, but I do want to see those thousands of colors used for a flat pattern that looks like dirt, or sand, or maybe squares with detail like marble slabs. Etc. Flat ground could look a lot better than VF's blank ugly squares.virtua-fighter-32x-a-0011.jpg
    Last edited by Ecco; 12-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.

  2. #107
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Cool, I like the idea of mock-ups to show more of what the 32x could have done with Virtua Fighter especially.

    Backgrounds are decent and fighters are awesome just because they are really 3D models, with classic 2D gameplay.

    The floors are the glaring problem for me. ugly and bland giant grey squares, etc.

    I'd like to see mock-ups to show what the 32x could have done with those floors. I don't expect texture mapping, but I do want to see those thousands of colors used for a flat pattern that looks like dirt, or sand, or maybe squares with detail like marble slabs. Etc. Flat ground could look a lot better than VF's blank ugly squares.virtua-fighter-32x-a-0011.jpg
    Have you seen that demo for "mode 7" on the Genesis? That could have been used for floors in VF in place of the checker board.

  3. #108
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,311
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Have you seen that demo for "mode 7" on the Genesis? That could have been used for floors in VF in place of the checker board.
    I guess I haven't seen the mode 7 demo. I thought Pier Solar was the only mode 7 style gameplay on the Genesis.

    But about those floors: Why are they so blank? Does the blankness help some other part of the game run better, or something? It doesn't seem like that would really make sense...

  4. #109
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I guess I haven't seen the mode 7 demo. I thought Pier Solar was the only mode 7 style gameplay on the Genesis.
    You can find the demo here:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...for-Genesis-MD


    But about those floors: Why are they so blank? Does the blankness help some other part of the game run better, or something? It doesn't seem like that would really make sense...
    The floors (and probably the far background sky) are done using the Genesis graphics. The easiest semi-3D looking floor to do on the Genesis is that checker board pattern. Very easy to do. A little more work gives a mode-7 floor, like in the demo linked above.

  5. #110
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,311
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    You can find the demo here:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...for-Genesis-MD




    The floors (and probably the far background sky) are done using the Genesis graphics. The easiest semi-3D looking floor to do on the Genesis is that checker board pattern. Very easy to do. A little more work gives a mode-7 floor, like in the demo linked above.
    Thanks for the link; that mode 7 demo is awesome. It's just like Mario Kart so I keep imagining those little cartoon karts driving around. The demo seems it could be made into something just like that.

    VF's floors: Wow, it never occurred to me, that they were made by the Genesis. That makes a lot more sense regarding hardware limitations. I always assumed the floors were from the 32x because they seemed 3D.

    Then the question becomes: Did the floors really need to be Genesis? The 32x could at least have done some color variations if it had done the floors. I guess everyone will say that the fighters themselves maxed out the 32x's power in Virtua Fighter, so Genesis had to do the floors?

  6. #111
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Thanks for the link; that mode 7 demo is awesome. It's just like Mario Kart so I keep imagining those little cartoon karts driving around. The demo seems it could be made into something just like that.
    It will be neat to see what comes of that, but a kart game is just the tip of the iceberg.


    VF's floors: Wow, it never occurred to me, that they were made by the Genesis. That makes a lot more sense regarding hardware limitations. I always assumed the floors were from the 32x because they seemed 3D.

    Then the question becomes: Did the floors really need to be Genesis? The 32x could at least have done some color variations if it had done the floors. I guess everyone will say that the fighters themselves maxed out the 32x's power in Virtua Fighter, so Genesis had to do the floors?
    They could have done the floors with the 32X. Especially the way they are now, filling the floor with a repeating pattern like that is easy. If they HAD done it with the 32X, I'd have expected the floors to be multiple patterns for the different stages rather than a plain checkboard. Think about the floor or ceiling textures in Doom as an example of what the floor would be like using the 32X.

    I guess they used the MD for the floor because they weren't certain how much time they would have to optimize the 32X rendering. As it is, they stuck with lower count flat colored polys. Given another few months to polish is, they might have switched the floor to the 32X layer, and maybe added shading to the polys. That was half the problem with many 32X games, and quite a few early Saturn games - they weren't given the time needed to really polish them up to full luster.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •