Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Sarcastic comedian" uses Watermelon and Sega-16 forum for his material

Shakespeare "Sarcastic comedian" uses Watermelon and Sega-16 forum for his material

There is some guy, who may be registered at this forum, who has a site where he writes about things kind of like AVGN, in a not so positive way to say the least, with lots of cursing etc. He did this write-up about Pier Solar, which I responded to, which he then responded to. In his response, he claims to be a sarcastic comedian. Which could mean I shouldn't take his critique for real, I don't know. One thing seems clear though, it's that he doesn't understand my (and Watermelon's) humour and I don't understand his. Or maybe we understand, but don't think it's funny. Either way, I don't feel like responding to everything he is addressing about Pier Solar or his replies to me, but if anyone finds anything worth discussing, I can take my time responding in this thread. Hopefully, this Kitty guy gets some material for his html site .

His first write-up about Pier Solar: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/piersolar.htm

His reply to my reply: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/piersolarresponse.htm

His loooong write-up about Pier Solar (and he even hated the game half-way through, yet continued and beat it just to get material for his site - what a masochist!): http://www.codiekitty.com/File/PierSolar/index.htm

Some replies to some Sega-16 posts he doesn't agree with: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/sega16.htm (I can remind him of Darum and Tiem in Phantasy Star II)

More replies to people he doesn't agree with, this time at Watermelon's MGF forum: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/apri...lfools2014.htm

His complaint on the price of Watermelon's Project Y poster (sorry pal, some live in treehouses and some live in castles, as my father once said ) http://www.codiekitty.com/log.htm#wmposter

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Why doesn't he just reply to posts on Sega-16 like everyone else does? Rambling about them elsewhere is meaningless.

I guess he either wants to make it material for his site, and/or doesn't like to be proved wrong and have the last word said.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    There is some guy, who may be registered at this forum, who has a site where he writes about things kind of like AVGN, in a not so positive way to say the least, with lots of cursing etc. He did this write-up about Pier Solar, which I responded to, which he then responded to. In his response, he claims to be a sarcastic comedian. Which could mean I shouldn't take his critique for real, I don't know. One thing seems clear though, it's that he doesn't understand my (and Watermelon's) humour and I don't understand his. Or maybe we understand, but don't think it's funny. Either way, I don't feel like responding to everything he is addressing about Pier Solar or his replies to me, but if anyone finds anything worth discussing, I can take my time responding in this thread. Hopefully, this Kitty guy gets some material for his html site .

His first write-up about Pier Solar: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/piersolar.htm

His reply to my reply: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/piersolarresponse.htm

His loooong write-up about Pier Solar (and he even hated the game half-way through, yet continued and beat it just to get material for his site - what a masochist!): http://www.codiekitty.com/File/PierSolar/index.htm

Some replies to some Sega-16 posts he doesn't agree with: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/sega16.htm (I can remind him of Darum and Tiem in Phantasy Star II)

More replies to people he doesn't agree with, this time at Watermelon's MGF forum: http://www.codiekitty.com/MOREC/apri...lfools2014.htm

His complaint on the price of Watermelon's Project Y poster (sorry pal, some live in treehouses and some live in castles, as my father once said ) http://www.codiekitty.com/log.htm#wmposter
    Oh god the colors, my eyes are bleeding
    Anyone who willingly designs their site to look like something geocities vomited up in the 90's just proves that I shouldn't trust their opinion of things like design choices, aesthetics, or anything else that could relate to game design

The guy is clearly off his rocker. I got halfway through that first link before I realized he was just spewing nonsense about incredibly minor details THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT. Good lord there are like 5 lengthy paragraphs of him complaining about your usage of 8-bit vs 16-bit terminology.

It kind of reminds me, in a scary way, of those mass-murderers who write ten-thousand-page-long manifestos that nobody reads until they go on their murder sprees. Can you imagine devoting hours upon hours of your life to writing that much nonsense when you can be fairly certain that nobody is ever going to read it? I guess you could call it dedication. I call it crazy.

I hunger! Wildside Expert war2thegrave's Avatar

Nintendo fanboi's

I guess he either wants to make it material for his site, and/or doesn't like to be proved wrong and have the last word said.
    I wouldn't mind the article much thought if it bothers you; The author of that forum is entitled to be critical if it's genuine, if it's out of jest then it is simply just that. In regards to Pier Solar, someone who is sincerely interested or simply enjoys "retro" 16-bit games isn't going to allow any criticism, embellished or otherwise, from stopping them from wanting to experience that game for them self.

I own a copy of Pier Solar and the disc set and like many people the thought of a brand-new game released on an older and retired console was really exciting! This has become a small catch-phrase for me but there was a great deal of nostalgia and novelty behind Pier Solar when I decided to buy it as I'm sure there was in making it. As with anything that receives overwhelming praise I find myself hesitant or even cautious, so having some review that is less than satisfying is something I would consider to be healthy.

I personally found Watermelon's work fantastic conceptually and in play, and supporting such an en devour I would hope that it would perhaps provide some incentive for Nintendo and Sega to consider just taking a side-step from all the modernity and saying: "You know what, let's develop some new titles for the SNES/Genesis." Of course this would be an absolutely awful investment on their part, but for someone like me who is stuck in 90's gaming, I'd be flat-out giddy.

If not, and by judging from the home brew work of groups like Watermelon and games like Pier Solar, that's okay too - they seem to have a good handle on it anyways.
    Last edited by Lync; 05-31-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Not sure what this guy is trying to accomplish.

I do not think he is entertaining in any way.
    Seems like he is only venting out inner frustrations.

anyway, *shrugs*

JumpingRyle: I feel sorry for the cops who have to read through all that nonsense by those massmurderers :P. I almost feel sorry for myself for reading through his rambling, because, like he didn't ever enjoy Pier Solar, I never enjoyed reading his write-up.

Lync: Nah, it doesn't bother me. It did when I actually read it, but after a night of sleep I thought about it again. This is the internet, my texts are public and Pier Solar has sold over 6500 copies. Of course there is going to be someone who is overly critical (or sarcastically comical, whatever).
    Thank you for your kind words! Yes, I too hope Nintendo and Sega take a look at their 16-bitters again, though I admit that's very unrealistic.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Well if you didn't know it, Watermelon and yourself are famous now. I'm not surprised some schmuck is hoping for some notoriety by dissing your guy's masterpiece. I didn't like everything in Pier Solar but I do consider it a must play.
    Diabetes sucks!

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Lync: Nah, it doesn't bother me. It did when I actually read it, but after a night of sleep I thought about it again. This is the internet, my texts are public and Pier Solar has sold over 6500 copies. Of course there is going to be someone who is overly critical (or sarcastically comical, whatever).
    Thank you for your kind words! Yes, I too hope Nintendo and Sega take a look at their 16-bitters again, though I admit that's very unrealistic.
    It obviously bothered you enough to bring it to our attention. So, I'd say you're still a little soar about it. Who cares what he says; you have legions of fans. What does this one person constitute to you, anyway? People have opinions, and they aren't always going to agree with yours. You DO have a bias against the SNES, though, because I've been around here long enough to see your dislike for the system come across in posts and debates. Which is fine; nobody has to love all systems. But that aside, why even post this here? To make you feel better (rally the base?) or get people riled up to defend the game? That's silly, you've already proven to have created an awesome game. It got a full page preview in Gamestop's Game Informer mag, here in the states. That's a pretty big deal IMO.

Anyway, I never played the game. I never had a chance to order it (was sold out each time I tried). But I've heard incredible things about it. Hopefully I can give it a run through when it comes out for other platforms. But yeah, this thread if silly and services no purpose other than to piss off fans.

(Edit: Sorry if I come off a little bit forward. Battling a nasty fever for the third day in a row)
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 05-31-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Outrunner

If you read around the site, this person is female. I'm just mentioning it because of all the "he" and "his" in this thread.

Overall I find this stuff mean-spirited and unfunny, but there are some valid points about Pier Solar in there. It suffers from a lack of enemy variety and bosses, and that sequence where you have to walk around in a very specific sort of circle in the desert is frustrating and confusing. I mean, it's pretty obvious that I liked the game, but it's not above criticism.

There's a page on there that makes fun of me specifically for thinking replaying Pier Solar enough to beat it without fighting random battles was a worthy use of my time. It's mainly making fun of Tulio for bringing it up, though.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    Well if you didn't know it, Watermelon and yourself are famous now. I'm not surprised some schmuck is hoping for some notoriety by dissing your guy's masterpiece. I didn't like everything in Pier Solar but I do consider it a must play.
    Must play? I played it and I would wipe my ass with it if I thought it capable of absorbing any more shit.

This guy/girl's website is stupid. He/she doesn't know how to be funny.

tomaitheous: You're asking some good questions there. Honestly, I'm not sore about it anymore. I may have been if it wasn't for that "sarcastic comedy" part. The reason why I brought it up is what I said (believe it or not): he seemed happy about me replying to his email, but I didn't feel like writing a loooong reply addressing every single issue he brought up, plus the guy enjoys this forum, so this thread will, as I said, be an excellent place to pick up new material for his site.

Yep, I do have some bias against the SNES (like you have a bias against the Master System ). But like everything with me, people shouldn't take it seriously. This console war thing just never ceases to be fun .

You can pre-order it now .

That's OK, hope you get well soon!

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    (Edit: Sorry if I come off a little bit forward. Battling a nasty fever for the third day in a row)
    I see it more as a parent's reaction to their child being unduly insulted. The first reaction is to go after someone

That's exactly what that this reviewer is hoping for as he has everything to gain.

We can just point and laugh at his pathetic efforts.

And get well soon tomaitheous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    Must play? I played it and I would wipe my ass with it if I thought it capable of absorbing any more shit.
    Funny you mention ass as just like opinions, everyone has one!
    Diabetes sucks!

Thread Information