Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple of mysteries

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    If you register there, then you can!
    Yes, but I really don't want to register just for that .

Road Rasher

Curious...

Can anyone else spot the differences between the 2 versions of the track images?

Road Rasher

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this or given up on finding out who MCOM is . I've been busy with things, one of which was University work. I was doing an assignment about copyright, and there was something in the materials about orphan works, and I immediately thought if this! Assuming it was actually copyrighted. I suppose Fun Car Rally was not copyrighted, as there are no such notices in the game? If so, that could explain how Scangames and Accolade were able to use so much material from Fun Car Rally, even if it isn't a direct prototype of Combat Cars.

I've been playing both games and notices even more similarities (one of which is Ray's car in Combat Cars is just like Fun Car Rally, including the turbo boost, though it might be a bit slower), which further reinforces my belief the two games are related.

I went through this list, and came up with some candidates for who MCOM might be (assuming it is indeed an abbreviation):

Mycom
    Mr Computer Products
    Mogul Communications
    Minatron Computing
    Miles Computing
    Michael Company
    Mecom
    Mansfield Computers & Electronics
    Manaccom
    Magnum Computing
    Magicom Multimedia
    Magical Company (Mahou)
    Magic Company
    Macrocom

None of which I've heard of (until now ). Does anyone know anything about any of these companies?

Thanks
    Last edited by adam; 06-30-2014 at 07:41 AM.

I did some more research but couldn't find anything. But maybe someone you could email? John Kroknes was one of the people who ran Scangames. I found (maybe) his current email address on his site:
    http://krokn.es/
    Sega Genesis Master Set
    Games: 378: https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Road Rasher

Holy faeces!

A (possible) lead.

I may be clutching at straws here, but I've just realised that the Fun Car Rally's title screen tune is the start of Johnny B Goode!

And it appears to be even closer to Fun, Fun, Fun: (Fun Car Rally? )

Last edited by adam; 11-28-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    I did some more research but couldn't find anything. But maybe someone you could email? John Kroknes was one of the people who ran Scangames. I found (maybe) his current email address on his site:
    http://krokn.es/
    Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy over the last few months. Exams, deadlines, you know the score .

Hmm... I'm not sure this counts as confidential .

Road Rasher

Right, I'm back to this after 10 months.

As I'm now on Youtube, I decided to do a video about this: (a public appeal for information of sorts )

Nameless One

MCOM = MagiCom.

Via google translate;

http://www.gamereactor.no/artikler/9...e+Rogue+Agent/

- Can you give our readers a brief presentation of who you are and how you ended up in the producer chair on GoldenEye: RA?

My name is Erik Gløersen and has worked with game development since the late 80s. First on the Amiga and later with my first gaming company, MagiCom where we made games on the Sega Mega Drive. In 1992 I obtained money from Norwegian investors and established FunCom, which in a short time became one of the largest developers of games in Europe. In 1996 I moved to the United States and helped a group of investors buying up one company called Looking Glass in Boston. I was general manager of the company for 3 years and in that period we made games: Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2 and Flight Unlimited 2 and 3. We had an office in Los Angeles and I moved out there in 1999 to help to drive growth further. There I offer to drive the development of a new publishing studio for Atari and now I work thus in Electronic Arts on GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    MCOM = MagiCom.

Via google translate;

http://www.gamereactor.no/artikler/9...e+Rogue+Agent/
    That fits! The Fun Car Rally ROM is dated 1992, and Funcom held the rights to Combat Cars before they transferred them to Accolade!

It seems Fun Car Rally is indeed a prototype of Combat Cars!

Looks like we're getting somewhere at last! Thanks! However, the only mention of MagiCom being involved with Mega Drive games so far is this, and the fact that there are several companies of that name further complicates things. And there's still the mystery the presence of The Beach Boys' Fun Fun Fun in Fun Car Rally and what happened to it (both the music and the game itself). I can only imagine there was some copyright issue.

Maybe I should look for some Norwegian-language sources?

Is it worth me signing up and updating this page with this new information?
    Last edited by adam; 09-28-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Yep. You've got a documented source to corroborate the statement.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I know who is the current IP owner of combat carts.

Doing contract work for them at the moment

Might be cool to ping them and pick up the IP and make a new game out of all the tracks between Fun car and combat cars!

Road Rasher

I have updated SegaRetro's page with this new info.

However, I've reached a dead end in my search for info about Fun Car Rally . I can't find any Norwegian-language mention of it, nor can I find any other Norwegian-language mention of MagiCom other than this. It seems to be the same MagiCom, because they're Amiga games. And is this the same MagiCom I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    I know who is the current IP owner of combat carts.
    Is it Infogrames?

An aside, people put this on cartridge?

Nameless One

It's not the same MagiCom;

http://www.ovguide.com/erik-gloersen...000000047bb0f8

Biography: Erik Gløersen is a video game developer. He is usually referred to in text as Erik Gloersen and occasionally Erik Gloerson. 1989 - 1992: MagiCom (unrelated to both the company that created Dragon's Lair and the Super Magicom which was an unauthorized device to run games from floppy disks on a Super Nintendo) 1992 – 1996: President and CEO at Funcom
    http://scoopex1988.org/magnar.html

By the end of 1994, Magnar had produced music for many commercials and multimedia presentations. His work was being exposed to thousands of people worldwide through different computer communities. At the height of his freelance career, he was headhunted and offered full-time employment at one of the leading game production companies in Norway called MagiCom, which later evolved into FunCom. As being only 17 years old at the time, their offer was kindly neglected by his family.
    http://www.superrune.com/gallery/amiga.php

I was being offered a job at a games company called Magicom (later Funcom), and they wanted samples of my work.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/10100/

Godager: Before I started university, I was developing a game by myself on the Amiga for several years. I thought the game was interesting and a really big challenge. I was arrogant, thinking I could make the game all by myself, which was possible back in the late 80s. When I completed my psychology studies, the Amiga as a platform died in front of me. I had spent several hundred hours for several years, making this game I thought was really cool. I went to my reseller and said, "You tricked me! You said the platform would last forever!" I was very naïve, of course. One tends to be at 20.

So, he said, "I'm sorry, but I know people who are actually making games; they might be interested in what you know." That's how I met the other four founders of Funcom: Erik Gloersen, Andre Backen, Ian Neil, and Olav Mørkrid. Of course, they were making games on Sega and Nintendo systems. They just used the Amiga as a development platform, but my skills were useful. We hooked up and started Funcom in 1993.

Ramsay: How exactly did you meet them?

Godager: The Commodore guy gave me Erik's address and phone number. Erik became the driving force. He was the one who had a love of money and a love of making huge companies. He was the visionary. I tagged along, like an opportunist, if you know what I mean. I didn't have his great faith in the others, but I tagged along, supported it, smiled, and said my speeches.
    Funcom evolved from MagiCom.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I have updated SegaRetro's page with this new info.

However, I've reached a dead end in my search for info about Fun Car Rally . I can't find any Norwegian-language mention of it, nor can I find any other Norwegian-language mention of MagiCom other than this. It seems to be the same MagiCom, because they're Amiga games. And is this the same MagiCom I wonder?

Is it Infogrames?

An aside, people put this on cartridge?
    Bootleggers will do whatever it takes for a quick buck. I doubt it has enhancements or is polished at all.

Combat cars exchanged hands just recently.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Bootleggers will do whatever it takes for a quick buck. I doubt it has enhancements or is polished at all.

Combat cars exchanged hands just recently.
    They look more like repros than bootlegs to me. I have a few repros, including one of Tetris, and it's the real version of the game, not the Chinese bootleg.

Who owns the rights to Combat Cars now? Atari?

And someone said Fun Car Rally's "enter name" music sounds like Yoshi's Island from Super Mario World on the SNES (and it does). Hmm...

Thread Information