Quantcast

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Which games have scaling and rotation?

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

YouTube

Here's something that I've been wondering about when facing the boss at the end of stage 3: It changes from a octopus looking figure into a floating eyeball surrounded by gelatinous balls that shrink and grow. You can view the bozz in the following video (27 minute 1 second mark):

https://youtu.be/6APRO7JH_B0?t=27m1s

Is that some sort of scaling taking place with respect to those gelatinous orbs?

It's pretty interesting to see that the game's designers also incorporated shadows as well!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

^^^^^^^
    I already post this

Now i saw in previous posts about Earnest Evans Sega Genesis version most likely has pre-rendered rotacional effects, but this spinning plattform is very on par with the CD version, and it seems on fact that the effect is real time generated.

please skip to 07:50

for comparision effect the same scene in CD version 09:17

Is not time for revise our concepts?
    Last edited by EPSYLON EAGLE; 01-20-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

It's rotating in real-time as much as the creepy purple things in the level after are scaling in real-time. That is, not at all. It looks good because it moves so fast.
    Same goes for the Sega-CD version btw, it's not using the scaling/rotation chip either.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Too bad Earnest Evans seems to be a set of good ideas poorly executed

At least it has visibly better colors when compared to El Viento.

Now another game hiding a nice scaling effect before the last boss fight.

skip to 18:45

Time Trax nice helicopter tilting 27:03.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Lunar: The Silver Star has scaling on the intro scene when it zooms in on the town of Burg.

Huh, but that's a Sega CD game (the Sega CD has hardware support for scaling and rotation).

I don't believe that no one until now dont has cited Outlander aka the unofficial Road Warrior game!!!

This game use a very similar full scaling effect found in Road Rash and Skitchin.
    Overall, a very fun game!

VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

It's pretty damn quick at it, too. And the fact that it softrenders multple windows at once at it's peak. While rendering objects inside those.

It's the sort of astoundingly complex effect most players wouldn't quite get is not suppose to happen!

Yeah outlander is very impressive overall, all software scaling and in multiple viewport at once ! The frame rate is a bit choppy but it's playable and fun as hell

Misadventures of Flink

Genesis
    http://i.imgur.com/ScIV3GU.webm

SEGA-CD
    http://i.imgur.com/pFkXHLG.webm

Real time scaling for Genesis version?
    Last edited by EPSYLON EAGLE; 05-31-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Because it's Flink, I think that the developer might have dared to do hardware scaling, but even then, the system likely just calculates all of the frames at some point, essentially pre-rendering them, instead of scaling so many sprites in realtime within a normal game environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

James Pond III do impressives vertical scaling effects when you win this bosses.

http://i.imgur.com/NjGGMcd.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/nfdoU6t.mp4

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker FullHitPoints's Avatar

I can think of a few examples that I don't believe have been mentioned yet.

Madou Monogatari:

And then there's Puyo Puyo's Title screen, which inflates and stretches itself quite a lot:

Hero of Algol

Let's go back to the Mega Turrican's sprites "rotation" discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Hm, a T3 Amiga development diary. Interesting stuff... thanks for sharing!

Alright, let's see, what have we here... (The guy talking is Peter Thierolf of KAIKO, the main programmer responsible for the Amiga version of Turrican III. Here's his lovely mug:

).

Week 13-14

"Well, it didn't take long, the copperlist of the first world, approved by everyone, has landed on my desk. Implementation went over quickly, however they wanted to have a very specific parallax effect that needed to be programmed. There are Walkers, flying Walkers, Pacmans moving along a wall and shooting, moving plattforms etc etc. More importantly there are enemies that, on the Mega Drive, are rotated and zoomed in realtime, an effect that I don't want to keep from the Amiga freaks. But first we'll program the "normal" enemies, which can be done without too much of an effort."

So, on the Mega Drive it apparently happens in realtime, while for the Amiga he had to come up with a different solution. He details what he came upt with next.

"Week 15

It's about time to think about the zooming and rotating of enemies because the next enemy on the list is a crawling jiggly alien, which can curl up and then roll around the area (naturally, while doing that it's gradually rotated). In realtime, while the system is running, that can't be done of course, because that would need too much computation time from the Blitter, which copies the graphics to the screen. So we need to come up with another system.

One possibillity would be to create each rotational phase in a paint tool and then file it into the memory already rotated. However, that would need lots of disk space and would cause long loading times. Also we have to assume that there are only 512 Kb Chip-memory available, and there's not enouth space for such a fine gradual rotation.

I've decided on the following solution: Using a fast rotational routine I'll calculate the phases during a time where the system is relatively idle. One comes immediately after loading, which needs about 0.7 seconds for 32 phases, but I'll also use it during certain parts during a level when there's hardly any anemy onscreen and we need certain rotation- and zoom-phases. That works pretty well.
    After looking carefully to it using Exodus emulator debugging features, I think it's safe to say it's either a mistake/misconception of that developer about the Mega Drive version or either bullshit. Or maybe he expressed his thoughts with the incorrect terms.
    'Cause the Mega Drive version is also using animation for that rotation "effect", it's not real-time.

Beyond the screenshots (and their explanations) below, I've also monitored the DMA usage during game sections like that. When you're standing still and that enemy is not rolling, no DMA transfers are used. When it begins to roll, the DMA transfers begin to occur, in order to load those animation frames into the VRAM.

Every evidence I could find points to that rotation effect being animation-based and NOT real-time.

Last edited by Barone; 09-22-2016 at 05:39 AM.

Thread Information