Quantcast

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Super retro trio tear down - Taking apart the SR3.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGenesis View Post
    I wonder if the Super Retro Trio can play this:
    Take a look at this video at 12:00 he tries to fit the Power Base converter to the Super Retro Trio and it doesn't fit at 1:04:00 he uses the Power base Mini and it works.

Hi. Do any of you have made MODS on your console?

I ask again all the forum. SOMEONE here has made MODS for RETRO SUPER TRIO?

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Good lord, Kasios! Are you that desperate?! I'm just gone because I'm busy dealing with multiple computers and prepping things for YouTube and you flip out thinking I'm dead? My God, chill out man.

Also, I'm on a new computer I just put together (just got the CPU yesterday, AMD FX 8320 - say what you will about this thing, I like it) and had to set up all my software again and transfer all my data as well as reset my password because I couldn't log in anymore. That took some time and I'm still not done with the data transfer.

That aside... you got the wrong TDA1308. You need the SMD/surface-mount version of the chip to replace the LM358 on the Super NES motherboard. I don't know what you did with that TDA1308, but that is not the one you need.

In regards to the circuit, I still have to reinstall ExpressSCH on this new PC, but I did finalize it. Provided nothing goes wrong, I can get it up by tomorrow morning.

Oh, and one more thing... DO NOT SPAM MY INBOX!!! All it does is contribute to major annoyance and I will ignore you. Are we clear?

EDIT: Forgot to respond to this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGenesis View Post
    I wonder if the Super Retro Trio can play this:
    It won't physically fit, but it does work when disassembled (or if you're using the Master System Converter II or an equivalent 3rd-party converter).
    Last edited by Ace; 09-08-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Good lord, Kasios! Are you that desperate?! I'm just gone because I'm busy dealing with multiple computers and prepping things for YouTube and you flip out thinking I'm dead? My God, chill out man.

Also, I'm on a new computer I just put together (just got the CPU yesterday, AMD FX 8320 - say what you will about this thing, I like it) and had to set up all my software again and transfer all my data as well as reset my password because I couldn't log in anymore. That took some time and I'm still not done with the data transfer.

That aside... you got the wrong TDA1308. You need the SMD/surface-mount version of the chip to replace the LM358 on the Super NES motherboard. I don't know what you did with that TDA1308, but that is not the one you need.

In regards to the circuit, I still have to reinstall ExpressSCH on this new PC, but I did finalize it. Provided nothing goes wrong, I can get it up by tomorrow morning.

Oh, and one more thing... DO NOT SPAM MY INBOX!!! All it does is contribute to major annoyance and I will ignore you. Are we clear?

EDIT: Forgot to respond to this post:

It won't physically fit, but it does work when disassembled (or if you're using the Master System Converter II or an equivalent 3rd-party converter).

How I have bad chip ?, I've installed replacing as you told me, a chip on the other.

That was what you said to me. I have replaced the chip that you told me that had to be replaced. And I have welded pin to pin with thin wire in the same position as the original. And the music and the sound is as before.

You just made life harder for yourself by getting the THROUGH-HOLE version of the TDA1308, not the surface-mount version. The surface-mount version looks like this:

Also, you will not hear a difference right away, you need to replace much more than just the LM358. I'm about to reinstall ExpressSCH, so I'll have the audio amp schematic up soon.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Shit!!!. So this would be suitable for welding in the exact place where it was before the other chip?

This chip serves me?

Nothing. I wait to see if someday share mods for console, a warm greeting from Spain.

Yeah, that's the TDA1308 you need. Remember, the LM358 on the Super Retro Trio is a surface-mount version of the chip; using a through-hole TDA1308 will just make things unnecessarily more difficult.

Data transfer between PCs is going much slower than I expected and I'm making final preparations for something completely out of my usual content on YouTube, so the schematic will be delayed. I have ExpressSCH installed, but the schematic is still on my old PC.

Is something missing more to amplify the sound snes section ?. I remember you told me just to need to replace the chip and nothing else. Incidentally, the Mod extra audio channels in the NES not work for me either.

The Super NES side needs to have the 3rd-order low-pass filter found on the original system added in to prevent crackling as there's a lot of inaudible, high-frequency garbage in the audio output. The NES side doesn't have expansion audio wired to the audio amp, so that needs to be added as well.

Hang tight for a few more minutes, I'm in the middle of transferring the last of my data to my new computer. The schematic is going up as soon as that's done.

EDIT: And here it is! Click to enlarge.

As you can see by the name, this is a universal circuit that will work on ALL x-in-1 clones. The TDA1308 in the schematic, as it pertains to the Super Retro Trio, is what you use to replace the LM358 that's on the motherboard. There are two capacitors you need to remove on the Super Retro Trio, which are C42 and C43.

Also replace R4 and R17 by 20Kohm resistors and add two 200ohm resistors to Ground on the two audio inputs from the Super NES cartridge slot (the two pins furthest to the right of the slot).

For NES expansion audio, take that from pin 54 of the cartridge slot. You can also make a Mega Mixer setup at the GOAC.

I'll post a full guide when I get to modding my own personal Super Retro Trio like this. The mod was tested in a RetroN3 Version 2, which isn't relevant to this particular case.
    Last edited by Ace; 09-09-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Mother of God!. What a mess!. You will not have "pictures" marked and identified what needs to be removed or put exactly ?. Sorry, I'm lost.
    I just ordered the TDA1308HA Class AB stereo headphone 1pc Soic 8 I said chip. Comes from France, apparently, these things are not sold everywhere.

I'll get a proper picture with the parts to remove, replace and add later this week. I have some new content to work on for my YouTube channel, but f*** me, my cameras and microphones suck! I have to get through that mess first.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that you have to build the Super NES 3rd-order low-pass filter (the op-amp circuit using the LM358) yourself and add it to the console as the Super Retro Trio doesn't have said filter. You could start by building that circuit. Focus on parts U2, R4 to R11, R16 and R17, C2 to C7, and C12 and C13. Those parts make up the 3rd-order low-pass filter. Like the notes say, you absolutely MUST have this circuit to prevent excessive crackling in the audio.

I'm very clumsy with these things. I prefer to wait to do the tutorial with photos to know that things have to be removed, that things have to be put, and that things have to be welded, because only understand these things when I see the pictures and tell me that "this chip is removed and add this one to that place. " A greeting.

When are you going to publish tutorials, Ace ?. Knowing it would be nice to not have open every day this website and see if you wrote something, I would be very grateful ACE.

I'm running really behind with the clone hardware things as I'm working on a few very time-consuming projects, but I wanted to pop into this thread as I've been informed by someone on YouTube of an updated Super Retro Trio where Super NES audio has gone to shit. Apparently, these new systems can be identified by a date stamp with the year 2015 on the Super NES board. Beware of these systems if you're looking for good Super NES audio; I can't comment on the NES and Genesis sides, however.

UPDATE: The new Super Retro Trio Version 2 no longer ships with Genesis controllers inside Super NES controller cases. The system has been changed to use the Super NES controller ports as the universal controller ports for all three sides of the system instead of the Genesis controller ports, and as such, the pack-in controllers are now proper Super NES clone controllers. I was also informed of a very concerning marking silkscreened onto the NES board, VT08. I've seen several Famiclones with NOACs that are named VTxx, with xx being any 2-digit number (such as VT03 in the Generation NEX), and these are usually the God-awful "enhanced" OneBus NOACs from VRTech with two APUs that have reversed duty cycles, oversaturated video, incorrectly wired cartridge slots and operate at 3.3V rather than 5V. I really hope the Super Retro Trio Version 2 hasn't been this badly degraded, that would be an absolute travesty worse than the RetroN3 having garbage Super NES audio and going all over the place with the NES side for the past 4 hardware revisions.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The Super Retro Trio has officially gone from being the best multi-console clone to being as much of a joke as the RetroN3 Version 3 and 2.4GHz Edition. I've been sent an audio sample from the Super Retro Trio Version 2's NES side and can confirm what I feared... the pretty decent NOAC of the Super Retro Trio Version 1 has been replaced by a pile of crap with reversed duty cycles. News flash, we're in 2016, what are these abominations still doing in Famiclones?! They're like parasites that just won't go away!

But what I'm about to say now is totally inexcusable and should be grounds for RetroBit to fire all their engineers. I was sent pictures of the internals yesterday, and the audio setup has gone back to the old style of using individual amps linked together via resistive adders, which, it itself, is okay, but not ideal. This, though, is where shit hits the fan... the Super NES audio amp IS AN EXACT COPY OF THE ONE USED IN THE RETRON3 SINCE VERSION 2!!! It's literally the same dual transistor setup with mind-bogglingly high gain (we're talking just over 37x gain) and a high-pass filter that kills off so much bass, it's like listening to games through a phone speaker.

RETROBIT, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!

The Super Retro Trio Version 2 is quite possibly the most degraded Famiclone hardware revision to have ever been made. It's like a sick joke, but it's not, this thing is real, and it's horrible! What a travesty to see RetroBit pretty much pull a Hyperkin on a clone many of us held in high regard. I need to get one of these things to get the word out there, and rip the system and RetroBit a new one. What is this thing?!
    Last edited by Ace; 10-17-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Thread Information